Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Psychology Test Help!!

I recently took a test with Public Safety Testing for varioius fire departments around the washington area. I studied hard for the test and it felt good taking it. I felt like I only answered a few questions that i had to make an educated guess on. However, the last 50 questions of this test were all psych questions. When i got my score back i barley had a passing score. I was also just weeded out of the hiring process at our citys airport fire department. I beat out 70 other canidates to the final stage of a written Psych test. I thought i did well. I tried answering the question either strongly agree or strongly disagree and tried not to sound crazy. Im a volunteer FF and i work as an EMT. I want this more than anything but i think im stuck on the Psych Test. If anyone has any suggestions or comments i would greatly appreciate it.

I am not an Expert here, but I think the ticket is NOT answering the question like you think they want to hear it. Rather give them the dead honest truth.

Sounds like too many Candidates answer that way and it sinks them. Ask Captain Bob here if you see him.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU View Post
    I am not an Expert here, but I think the ticket is NOT answering the question like you think they want to hear it. Rather give them the dead honest truth.

Sounds like too many Candidates answer that way and it sinks them. Ask Captain Bob here if you see him.
    I thought Capt. bob told you to answer nothing but strongly agree/disagree

I think being honest 100% of the time is the tickets since questions are repeated several times in different fashions to try to trip up the Candidate.

MembersZone Subscriber

Honesty and consistency are important. One of the reasons they ask 600+ questions with many of them very similar is to look for consistency. I don't think every answer needs to be strongly agree/disagree, but you don't want to be luke warm on everything. Have an opinion. If you aren't passionate about an answer, a somewhat may be an acceptable answer.

Like said above, there are very few questions on the psyc test that have right/wrong answers (even then, they aren't right/wrong but may disqualify you - answering strongly agree to "I want to hurt myself or others."). The test is used to help determine if you're a fit for the job and dept. It may identify concerns about someone's compatibility with the job (i.e. ability to handle stress, death, etc.).

About how to take the psyc test, I try to clear my mind and then answer with the first answer that comes to mind. Good luck.

Forum Member

The key is to be consistent in your answers. I just took one for a promotional exam. It was weird, but I found if you have a feel of who you are and what you stand for they are not too hard.....

Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Lexfactor View Post
    I recently took a test with Public Safety Testing for varioius fire departments around the washington area. I studied hard for the test and it felt good taking it. I felt like I only answered a few questions that i had to make an educated guess on. However, the last 50 questions of this test were all psych questions. When i got my score back i barley had a passing score. I was also just weeded out of the hiring process at our citys airport fire department. I beat out 70 other canidates to the final stage of a written Psych test. I thought i did well. I tried answering the question either strongly agree or strongly disagree and tried not to sound crazy. Im a volunteer FF and i work as an EMT. I want this more than anything but i think im stuck on the Psych Test. If anyone has any suggestions or comments i would greatly appreciate it.
    There have been a couple of previous threads about this test. Try a search for "I/O solutions" or "NFSI", they should pop up. Unfortunately, you'll find there is no consistent advice. For me, answering honestly has resulted in scores of 84%, 92%, and then 70%. I know I correctly answered at least 104 of the 105 general knowledge questions each time, so I can confirm the personality portion has a significant impact on the final score. I think the individual agency has input on what answers they want to see in the psych portion. I say this because I have taken this test for a number of agencies. In some, the #1 on the list scored 100%, and on others the #1 has been in the high 70's (before any interview, CPAT, etc.). It's always the same pool of FF/PM candidates, so I wouldn't think it was just a coincidence that they all score very high or very low on the exact same test. The best advice I have is to seek out any testing process that utilizes this test and take it as much as possible. Maybe you'll stumble upon a method that works for you.

MembersZone Subscriber

disregard - operator error
    Last edited by Hewartson47; 12-24-2009 at 08:20 PM. Reason: operator error

Thread Information