Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Banned

Question CDC: People in sunny states happiest, New York least

CDC: People in sunny states happiest, New York least

HAPPIEST RANKINGS

The state-by-state list (including Washington, D.C.), from happiest to least cheery:

1. Louisiana
    2. Hawaii
    3. Florida
    4. Tennessee
    5. Arizona
    6. South Carolina
    7. Mississippi
    8. Montana
    9. Alabama
    10. Maine
    11. Wyoming
    12. Alaska
    13. North Carolina
    14. South Dakota
    15. Texas
    16. Idaho
    17. Vermont
    18. Arkansas
    19. Georgia
    20. Utah
    21. Oklahoma
    22. Delaware
    23. Colorado
    24. New Mexico
    25. North Dakota
    26. Minnesota
    27. Virginia
    28. New Hampshire
    29. Wisconsin
    30. Oregon
    31. Iowa
    32. Kansas
    33. Nebraska
    34. West Virginia
    35. Kentucky
    36. Washington
    37. District of Columbia
    38. Missouri
    39. Nevada
    40. Maryland
    41. Pennsylvania
    42. Rhode Island
    43. Ohio
    44. Massachusetts
    45. Illinois
    46. California
    47. New Jersey
    48. Indiana
    49. Michigan
    50. Connecticut
    51. New York
    Although one has to wonder Why Montana, Maine, Wyoming, Alaska are near the Top and California, Nevada are at the bottom. In fact, it seems the most liberal highly, taxed states are all at the bottom.
    Last edited by ScareCrow57; 12-20-2009 at 08:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    Although one has to wonder Why Montana, Maine, Wyoming, Alaska are near the Top and California, Nevada are at the bottom. In fact, it seems the most liberal highly, taxed states are all at the bottom.
    Of course those least taxes are happiest. Those same states also receive more in tax revenue from the Feds than they pay. CA is a donor state to the tune of $30B. It's very easy to be happy when someone else is paying the bill.

Once again you attempt (feebly) to draw a conclusion that is based on half assed research. Much like your experience with credit cards.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    Of course those least taxes are happiest. Those same states also receive more in tax revenue from the Feds than they pay. CA is a donor state to the tune of $30B. It's very easy to be happy when someone else is paying the bill.

Once again you attempt (feebly) to draw a conclusion that is based on half assed research. Much like your experience with credit cards.
    Says the man living in a state with a budget deficit of $21,000,000,000,000 http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,7647152.story this year, and another $25,000,000,000,000 http://www.mercurynews.com/californi...nclick_check=1

Also from the man in California whose Democratic controlled legislature had to pass an additional 10%. http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...,2028140.story

Please note how the moronic, half-wit, inbred, corrupt politicians (they are the same the world over) as noted in this article it is referred to as: "Think of it as a forced, interest-free loan: You'll be repaid any extra withholding in April"

So, a state confiscates more money, so it can spend it instead of allowing people to spend it or save it. Then, gives it back without any accrued interest. I am waiting for the moronic half-wits on Beacon Hill in Boston to pass this one next year, seeing as how they follow California's lead, and our own state is looking at another $3,000,000,000,000 shortfall. They already increased sales tax by 25% in August, as well as allowing for more communities to charge a home-rule meals tax. Want to know who benefits from that move? New Hampshire - no sales tax, no income tax, and an equal or lower meals tax. Sales in New Hampshire have increased since August, while Massachusetts' have remained flat or have gone down.

Oh yeah, note than Massachusetts in 44th and California is 46th on the scale of "happy places."

There is more to happiness than taxes, but the more money a person has, the happier they are likely to be.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

... and California has the most people ... so they have to give more to the union ... your point?

...and as far as i can tell Florida gives more than receives and they are ranked at the top ?.. i wonder why that is ... no state income tax is one thing i imagine. Sunshine also.
    Last edited by owenscott; 12-20-2009 at 07:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie View Post
    Says the man living in a state with a budget deficit of $21,000,000,000,000 http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,7647152.story this year, and another $25,000,000,000,000 http://www.mercurynews.com/californi...nclick_check=1

Also from the man in California whose Democratic controlled legislature had to pass an additional 10%. http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...,2028140.story

Please note how the moronic, half-wit, inbred, corrupt politicians (they are the same the world over) as noted in this article it is referred to as: "Think of it as a forced, interest-free loan: You'll be repaid any extra withholding in April"

So, a state confiscates more money, so it can spend it instead of allowing people to spend it or save it. Then, gives it back without any accrued interest. I am waiting for the moronic half-wits on Beacon Hill in Boston to pass this one next year, seeing as how they follow California's lead, and our own state is looking at another $3,000,000,000,000 shortfall. They already increased sales tax by 25% in August, as well as allowing for more communities to charge a home-rule meals tax. Want to know who benefits from that move? New Hampshire - no sales tax, no income tax, and an equal or lower meals tax. Sales in New Hampshire have increased since August, while Massachusetts' have remained flat or have gone down.

Oh yeah, note than Massachusetts in 44th and California is 46th on the scale of "happy places."

There is more to happiness than taxes, but the more money a person has, the happier they are likely to be.
    You might have noticed CA is a donor state in excess of its deficit. Don't really care about MA. We'll manage. We always do.

Quote Originally Posted by owenscott View Post
    ... and California has the most people ... so they have to give more to the union ... your point?
    Why?

Quote Originally Posted by owenscott View Post
    ...and as far as i can tell Florida gives more than receives and they are ranked at the top ?.. i wonder why that is ... no state income tax is one thing i imagine. Sunshine also.
    Which means the topic of this thread is really pointless.

I love how my state is the second most angry state, second only to NY. This is believable though.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Banned

How do you figure California is a donor state. We all put into one big pot to support the country as a whole.

Banned

You might have noticed CA is a donor state in excess of its deficit. Don't really care about MA. We'll manage. We always do.
    You keep throwing this fiction around about being a donor state. Grow up and live the life of liberalism young man.

You might have noticed CA is a donor state in excess of its deficit.
    And? This means what to me? You are the one who has to live with a crumbling system in your state that is run by Democrats - but don't ever mention that. It is against your morals to say anything disparaging about a Democrat, liberal, or progressive.

Don't really care about MA. We'll manage. We always do.
    I don't really care about Massachusetts either. I hate it here, and am preparing to leave.

Since you say that you'll manage. Just wondering how much the tax increase should be to pay for your deficit instead of asking the other 49 states to pay for you.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Question Hey Sharkie??............

How does New Hampshire fare in comparision with Massachussetts as far as Deficit Spending???.......... Any Idea??..... I got a hunch that NH gets along without all those taxes because they do something that is unheard of in most Governments....... They Manage their Funds in a Responsibile and Conservative Manner.....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    How does New Hampshire fare in comparision with Massachussetts as far as Deficit Spending???.......... Any Idea??..... I got a hunch that NH gets along without all those taxes because they do something that is unheard of in most Governments....... They Manage their Funds in a Responsibile and Conservative Manner.....
    Very little deficit spending in NH. They do have bonds like every other state to pay for major capital expenses.

But New Hampshire has no sales, no income tax, and a comparable meals tax.

New Hampshire has mildly higher property taxes than we do here in the People's Republik. It used to be more, but Massachusetts' love affair with any and all taxes has caused that gap to shrink. I live one town away from New Hampshire - takes me 15 minutes to get there, and you can enjoy the shopping there.

New Hampshire relies heavily on business taxes, but the companies can get people to work their by saying the state has no sales or income taxes while paying roughly the same as what people in Mass. make - that is like an 8% salary increase.

You should the ads on TV, radio, and in the newspapers saying located in "tax free New Hampshire." Business is booming - relatively speaking - since Massachusetts increased its sales tax from 5% to 6.25% in August and the bill has been referred to as the "New Hampshire Stimulus Act."

The property taxes are high, because the money is essentially all distributed locally to the town and the schools.

Jean Shaheen implemented the first state property tax and she is now the junior Senator from New Hampshire screwing over the rest of us.

You can live in Concord, NH and still be 2 hours from Boston going South on I-93. And you still have relatively easy access to the major hospitals in Boston (though none are really easy to get to off the highway except for Mass. General/Mass Eye and Ear/Shriner's Burn Center.

New Hampshire also has state liquor stores, and they are smart enough to put many of them on state line from Maine, Vermont, and Massachusetts. The booze can be much cheaper - I think $3 less for a case of beer if I recall correctly - than Mass. Wine and liquor is also less expensive. I do not drink, so I am only speaking from the information I have gained from newpaper articles and conversation with friends and coworkers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Maybe NY is just sad that they have to put up with the UN?
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusKspn View Post
    Maybe NY is just sad that they have to put up with the UN?
    Hell, that would make almost anyone need sertraline.

Banned

Very little deficit spending in NH. They do have bonds like every other state to pay for major capital expenses.

But New Hampshire has no sales, no income tax, and a comparable meals tax.

New Hampshire has mildly higher property taxes than we do here in the People's Republik. It used to be more, but Massachusetts' love affair with any and all taxes has caused that gap to shrink. I live one town away from New Hampshire - takes me 15 minutes to get there, and you can enjoy the shopping there.

New Hampshire relies heavily on business taxes, but the companies can get people to work their by saying the state has no sales or income taxes while paying roughly the same as what people in Mass. make - that is like an 8% salary increase.

You should the ads on TV, radio, and in the newspapers saying located in "tax free New Hampshire." Business is booming - relatively speaking - since Massachusetts increased its sales tax from 5% to 6.25% in August and the bill has been referred to as the "New Hampshire Stimulus Act."

The property taxes are high, because the money is essentially all distributed locally to the town and the schools.

Jean Shaheen implemented the first state property tax and she is now the junior Senator from New Hampshire screwing over the rest of us.

You can live in Concord, NH and still be 2 hours from Boston going South on I-93. And you still have relatively easy access to the major hospitals in Boston (though none are really easy to get to off the highway except for Mass. General/Mass Eye and Ear/Shriner's Burn Center.

New Hampshire also has state liquor stores, and they are smart enough to put many of them on state line from Maine, Vermont, and Massachusetts. The booze can be much cheaper - I think $3 less for a case of beer if I recall correctly - than Mass. Wine and liquor is also less expensive. I do not drink, so I am only speaking from the information I have gained from newpaper articles and conversation with friends and coworkers.
    It is roughly a four hour ride to NH from here. I know of several people who take a day trip to go there and do their Christmas shopping. Many also buy A LOT of liquor while there as the prices are much lower that in NYS. Beer prices in NYS recently jumped $3 per case because of increased taxes. Meanwhile, the Corrupt Joe Bruno had steered Billions of dollars to his "consulting" firms and business partners via the state of NY. Just a bunch of no good crooks in Albany. The only place it is worse is Washington D.C.

Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    It is roughly a four hour ride to NH from here. I know of several people who take a day trip to go there and do their Christmas shopping. Many also buy A LOT of liquor while there as the prices are much lower that in NYS. Beer prices in NYS recently jumped $3 per case because of increased taxes. Meanwhile, the Corrupt Joe Bruno had steered Billions of dollars to his "consulting" firms and business partners via the state of NY. Just a bunch of no good crooks in Albany. The only place it is worse is Washington D.C.
    If you're ever in New Hampshire, drive up Route 28 in Salem, NH, on Daniel Webster Highway in Nashua, or go near the airport in Manchester in the shopping district. The number of Massachusetts plates in the parking lots usually equal the number of NH plates in the lot.

If you want more fun, go to the NH States Liquopr store on I-95 half-way between the border with Maine and Massachusetts. Count the number of Mass. plates in the parking lot, and watch the amount of booze they carry out.

Even funnier than that is a Massachusetts state Representative (a Democrat) who voted for the sale tax increase and was caught carrying several items from the store to his Crown Vic with Massachusetts plates that are only issued to members of the legislature (so that no State Troopers give them tickets.) He did it 1 month after the tax increase went into effect.

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/pol...ome&position=0

http://www.wbz.com/pages/5134905.php?

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/poli...38/detail.html

Funnier than that, is that several years ago when former Governor, and presidential candidate Michael S. Dukakis was in office, Massachusetts State Police troopers used to look on hills that were in Massachusetts overlooking parking lots in New Hampshire to catch Mass. citizens shopping in New Hampshire.

Even funnier that that is that this year the Massachusetts Department of Revenue went after a tire chain to force them to collect Massachusetts sales tax on tires sold to Massachusetts customers and give the money to the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/mas...s_taxes_in_nh/

http://www.newburyportnews.com/punew...127230454.html

The not-braind dead politicos in New Hampshire have since passed a law making it illegal for a New Hampshire business to collect sales in this manner to act as an agent for another state. So it proves my point that not quite all politicians are dead from the toes up.

Banned

If you're ever in New Hampshire, drive up Route 28 in Salem, NH, on Daniel Webster Highway in Nashua, or go near the airport in Manchester in the shopping district. The number of Massachusetts plates in the parking lots usually equal the number of NH plates in the lot.

If you want more fun, go to the NH States Liquopr store on I-95 half-way between the border with Maine and Massachusetts. Count the number of Mass. plates in the parking lot, and watch the amount of booze they carry out.

Even funnier than that is a Massachusetts state Representative (a Democrat) who voted for the sale tax increase and was caught carrying several items from the store to his Crown Vic with Massachusetts plates that are only issued to members of the legislature (so that no State Troopers give them tickets.) He did it 1 month after the tax increase went into effect.

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/pol...ome&position=0

http://www.wbz.com/pages/5134905.php?

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/poli...38/detail.html

Funnier than that, is that several years ago when former Governor, and presidential candidate Michael S. Dukakis was in office, Massachusetts State Police troopers used to look on hills that were in Massachusetts overlooking parking lots in New Hampshire to catch Mass. citizens shopping in New Hampshire.

Even funnier that that is that this year the Massachusetts Department of Revenue went after a tire chain to force them to collect Massachusetts sales tax on tires sold to Massachusetts customers and give the money to the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/mas...s_taxes_in_nh/

http://www.newburyportnews.com/punew...127230454.html

The not-braind dead politicos in New Hampshire have since passed a law making it illegal for a New Hampshire business to collect sales in this manner to act as an agent for another state. So it proves my point that not quite all politicians are dead from the toes up.
    Along those same lines. PA started to allow the sales of fireworks a few years back. PA residents get to buy the less powerful stuff. On the other side of the store is where out of state residents can go and buy the big stuff. Care to guess how many people are making the 6 our round trip to get fire works?

New York state has spent years acquiring land for the purpose of preservation. This entire effort is lead by a small special interest group. They currently own 3 million acres of land in an area known as the Adirondack Park, a park so expansive that you can fit 5 national parks inside of it.
    The park covers some 6.1 million acres (9,400 mi≤/24,700 km≤), a land area about the size of Vermont, or of the Yellowstone, Yosemite, Grand Canyon, Glacier, and Great Smoky Mountains National Parks combined.
    How F***ing Stupid is that? A totally mismanaged state that is just sucking the populace dry.

Thread Information