Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Exclamation Airport Fire - Prince George, BC

Blaze consumes northern B.C. airport terminal

Fire crews were battling a massive blaze that broke out at the airport in Prince George, B.C., on Saturday afternoon.

Officials say the fire started just after 3 p.m. PT at a terminal belonging to a small charter company.

Officials said the fire was 90 per cent contained and no one was injured.

The extent of the damage was not clear, but reports indicated part of the building had collapsed.

Prince George is about 775 kilometres north of Vancouver.
    ===

Prince George Free Press
    BREAKING NEWS: NT Air hanger destroyed by flames at PG airport

Text By Arthur Williams - Prince George Free Press

Published: December 19, 2009 5:00 PM
    Updated: December 19, 2009 7:43 PM

Fire leveled the NT Air hanger at Prince George Airport Saturday afternoon.

The Prince George Fire/Rescue Service was called to the scene at 2:36 p.m.. When fire crews arrived they found heavy smoke and flames coming from the northeast side of the building on the second floor.

Fire fighters attempted to contain the fire on the north side of the building, but it quickly spread through the wood frame building. Fire crews were pulled out of the building for safety reasons and continued to fight the blaze from outside.

The building collapsed, but was still burning as of 7 p.m. on Saturday. Fire crews were expected to remain on scene throughout the night to extinguish the building.

Prince George Airport president John Gibson said the fire caused temporary delays to Air Canada Jazz flights inbound from Vancouver.

"In terms of the scheduled operations, there has been some delays," Gibson said Saturday evening. "But flights are coming and going. We should be back to using the entire terminal later on this evening."

Airport fire fighters provided some support to the Prince George Fire/Rescue Service during the fire, Gibson said.

"We did aid them in providing fire truck support on the terminal side," he said. "(But) airport fire fighters don't fight building fires, they fight aircraft fires. They aren't trained for that."
    I wonder how long it will be before significant death occurs to get the airport crews trained in structure (for the airport only) fires. ? Someone really important, I guess.

As of Saturday evening, no cause had been determined in the fire.

"It was an all-wood hanger in excess of 60 years old," Gibson said. "We're really interested to see what the fire investigators say caused the fire."

NT Air operates five scheduled flights per week out of Prince George to Tsay Keh and Fort Ware, plus offers charter flight service.

"Their sister operation is Central Mountain Air, which has some other facilities (on site)," Gibson said. "(But) I can see there will most definitely be some impact on their charter operations and maintenance."

NT Air also has several tenants which leased space in the hanger, he added.

No injuries were reported in the fire.

The cause of the fire and cost of the damage had not been determined as of Saturday.

http://www.bclocalnews.com/bc_north/.../79733962.html

Maybe they should go and visit their fellow airport firefighters at Pearson. They might take that airport firefighters don't fight building fires back.
    Last edited by ndvfdff33; 12-20-2009 at 11:55 AM.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Shoulda called Kentland!

Wait, wrong Prince George...
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Thread Information