Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snow Days

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Snow Days

I see that a lot of areas have got nailed pretty hard by Mother Nature. Any interesting happenings down there because of the storms? Any serious disruptions in service?

Quote Originally Posted by BryanLoader View Post
    I see that a lot of areas have got nailed pretty hard by Mother Nature. Any interesting happenings down there because of the storms? Any serious disruptions in service?
    I don't know about my community, Bryan.. I'm using a personal day off from the firehouse today... use them or lose them!
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 12-20-2009 at 11:31 AM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Banned

Shouldn't be any problems. The highest amount I saw was only 24". Not really enough to get concerned about.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    I don't know about my community, Bryan.. I'm using a personal day off from he firehouse today... use them or lose them!
    You have to use all your personal days each year or lose them? No carry over. That sucks.

Forum Member

A NJ transit train hit an NJ transit bus that was stuck on the tracks due to a snow mound. I believe all injuries were minor.

You have to use all your personal days each year or lose them? No carry over. That sucks.
    We can carry over 4 vacation tours... personal days have to be used in the calendar year. I have to use 5 sick days a year, too as I am maxed out on sick leave accrual.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Lots of minor accidents.

Listened on my scanner to the NJSP pursue a hit and run driver down I 287 through Morristown. This was during the peak of the storm. No traffic, speeds of 35-45, and the guy had a blown tire.

There was an accident a few miles ahead, and the highway was closed, so they broke off the pursuit.

Of course, the troopers at the accident scene walked up to this guy who was stopped in traffic.

He was actively smoking crack when they knocked on his window.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

MembersZone Subscriber SteveDude's Avatar

Jesus,
    You people sure know how to have a snow storm. We had our heaviest snow in 18 years in London back in February (8 inches ) which pretty much screwed the capital up for a couple of days.

On Thursday we had our first pre-christmas snow since the 1970's... only about 3 inches.... you'd think we'd had 3 foot the way the transportation network has reacted!!!! God help us we're in for a long Winter.
    Steve Dude
    IACOJ member
    www.fireservice.co.uk

London Fire Brigade...."Can Do"

'Irony'... It's a British thing.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by SteveDude View Post
    Jesus,
    You people sure know how to have a snow storm. We had our heaviest snow in 18 years in London back in February (8 inches ) which pretty much screwed the capital up for a couple of days.

On Thursday we had our first pre-christmas snow since the 1970's... only about 3 inches.... you'd think we'd had 3 foot the way the transportation network has reacted!!!! God help us we're in for a long Winter.
    Yep this global warming sure is working out. London sounds like Victoria. Last year about this time they had a storm. 2-3 inches, the whole blessed city went catatonic.

No calls throughout the whole thing. My friends and I were out driving around in our trucks wasting gas and having fun all night. Never seen it snow so hard here. It was so deep on unplowed roads, the snow was hitting my serpentine belt in the engine bay and stalling out the alternator.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

All quiet in Western Mass. Supposed to get 4" to 8", nothing not even a flake. All the storm is east in the Boston area and the Cape. Great day to watch the Patriots.
    Ed

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Default Blurb in the local paper & storm pics ...

Gallery: Fierce blast of winter heads for eastern Canada
    Eastern U.S. states are enduring a blizzard blast that is delaying flights, closing stores and threatens to dump as much as 50 cm of snow on the last weekend before Christmas.

http://www.timescolonist.com/Gallery...941/story.html

Massive U.S. snowstorm on path to Atlantic Canada
    Canwest News Service
    December 20, 2009 9:40 AM
    StoryPhotos ( 4 )
    More Images Ľ Snow covers a street in Brooklyn, New York December 20, 2009. Heavy snowfall blanketed the East Coast on Saturday, disrupting public transport and air travel, and hampering holiday shoppers on the last weekend before Christmas.
    Photograph by: Brendan McDermid, Reuters

The fierce snowstorm that gripped the eastern U.S. over the weekend will continue its northeastward path, with as much as 25 centimetres of snow expected to fall on parts of Nova Scotia Sunday.

The storm, which blanketed Philadelphia in almost 60 centimetres of snow, triggered state of emergencies in Virginia, Maryland and West Virginia.

Though the heavy snow stopped falling over Washington by Sunday morning, 16 cm had already been dumped on the U.S. capital, prompting Mayor Adrian Fenty to declare a snow emergency Saturday.

Three people were reported to have died on Virginia roads Saturday, according to the state's department of emergency management.

Flights out of several U.S. airports were also affected by the wintry weather, leaving some travellers stranded in Canada.

Toronto's Pearson International Airport cancelled 54 flights, while Montreal's Trudeau International Airport reported 19 cancelled flights as of Sunday morning.

With files from Agence France-Presse

© Copyright (c) Canwest News Service
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Yep this global warming sure is working out. London sounds like Victoria. Last year about this time they had a storm. 2-3 inches, the whole blessed city went catatonic.
    Dec. 22nd, 2008 after the third storm ... the better picture is already posted on Thread Killer so I can't post it again.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Banned

We carry a max of 240 hours, after that you stop earning Personal Time Off

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Well..................

Just about an exact 20 Miles due East of our Nations Capitol, and we've gotten about 20 inches. Life Goes On Though. Dug ourselves out this morning, had spots of Dry Asphalt showing by Noon. There are quite a few "One Lane" spots on the Roads due to the Wind causing the Snow to Drift. Fire and Rescue calls are very few, folks are staying in.........

One Point - A prior post in this thread went on at length about how many Centimeters of Snow fell in different Locations. NO Centimeters of Snow fell in The United States Of America. We did however have lots and lots of Snow that fell in INCHES..........
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    Just about an exact 20 Miles due East of our Nations Capitol, and we've gotten about 20 inches. Life Goes On Though. Dug ourselves out this morning, had spots of Dry Asphalt showing by Noon. There are quite a few "One Lane" spots on the Roads due to the Wind causing the Snow to Drift. Fire and Rescue calls are very few, folks are staying in.........

One Point - A prior post in this thread went on at length about how many Centimeters of Snow fell in different Locations. NO Centimeters of Snow fell in The United States Of America. We did however have lots and lots of Snow that fell in INCHES..........
    Funny, our snow usually falls in flakes

and no two are alike....
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    and no two are alike....
    Well on here, there a a few flakes that seem very much alike

Excellent comeback LOL

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Well on here, there a a few flakes that seem very much alike
    True.. I can name names, but seeing this is the holiday season...
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Thread Information