Forum Member

Default Peep's with goggles.... question

for those who have goggles on their lids, do you guys put them in a sleeve, or anything to protect them from heat? I just bought a Phenix leather lid w/ESS "structure" goggles that are permanently attached, and wasn't sure if they'd melt or become damaged if used in structure fires, etc.

I've seen some nomex sleeves that will slide over the goggles, just curious.. thanks

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Post Well.................

Speaking as one who has had a long Career that ran (and still does) on aggressive interior Firefighting I'll say this: Your Head doesn't belong in a place that's Hot enough to melt your goggles.........
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by randomhero135 View Post
    for those who have goggles on their lids, do you guys put them in a sleeve, or anything to protect them from heat? I just bought a Phenix leather lid w/ESS "structure" goggles that are permanently attached, and wasn't sure if they'd melt or become damaged if used in structure fires, etc.

I've seen some nomex sleeves that will slide over the goggles, just curious.. thanks
    The goggle covers are great to keep dust, dirt and anything else that does not belong on or IN your goggles out. The last thing i would want to do is pull my goggles around after putting them on realize there is all sorts of debris in them. I should know, it's happened. But while most of the covers are Nomex, they are not really going to do much for heat protection.

I have an Morning Pride Goggle Garage which works well. A bunch of other companies make nice models as well. The Fire Store has a whole page of them.

Forum Member

The firestore has some holders that work well. S

Some of the old goggles weren't even rated to the 500 degree standard of today and were notorious for melting just as the bourkes were prior to their being upgraded. Also, the standard only says withstand 500 degrees for 10 minutes, it says nothing of 150 degrees for 30 minutes repeatedly which will also eventually damage goggles. So you can still experience damage while doing all the right things.

Forum Member
    A Great place USA, which means not West Coast...!

I have found that the cover is a pain in the ***...and goggles are also a pain in the ***. Some guys I see on my dept have them and wear them on the back brim. If they need to put them on, they have to take the cover off, jam that in their pocket, and take the goggles off the flip them around. Most guys on my dept including me have bourkes and I carry a pair of safety glasses in my coat. Aslo all the guys I see that have goggles on their helmets never wear them cuase it seems like such a pain to swing them around, and would soon just not mess with them.
    Last edited by TruckSixFF; 12-20-2009 at 11:09 PM.
    FDNY 343 9/11/01 WILL Never Forget!

(W-6)

"We Lucky Few We Band of Brothers." William Shakespeare

"let no man's ghost return to say his training let him down. "

D-P-T

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TruckSixFF View Post
    I have found that the cover is a pain in the ***...and goggles are also a pain in the ***. Some guys I see on my dept have them and wear them on the back brim. If they need to put them on, they have to take the cover off, jam that in their pocket, and take the goggles off the flip them around. Most guys on my dept including me have bourkes and I carry a pair of safety glasses in my coat. Aslo all the guys I see that have goggles on their helmets never wear them cuase it seems like such a pain to swing them around, and would soon just not mess with them.
    When I had my Bullard with goggles, it took some practice to get them in position quickly. My biggest beef with the ESS goggles though is how bad they fogged up when I was cutting a car and sweating.

I've never been happier than when I got my 1044 with the Defender and Bourkes. What a difference that made!

Permanently Removed

I so not have a sock on my ESS Goggles, but wish I did.

And I also agree with Harve.

Forum Member

I hate how the goggles get sooted up from repeated fire/smoke exposure. I have them on my helmet, but depending on if the apparatus I'm on is probably going to be 1st, 2nd, or 3rd due I might opt to take them off. For example, if I'm on the 1st or 2nd in engine, I won't need them and will just exposure them to smoke and soot. If I'm 3rd or 4th I'll probably be doing more outside things and might need them for eye protection.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by randomhero135 View Post

Peep's?? No baby chickens in here son.

We have goggles but there are carried in a pocket in our PPE. Helmets have Bourkes.

55 Years & Still Rolling

Thumbs up That Too...........

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnee View Post
    Peep's?? No baby chickens in here son.

Yeah, What He said.......
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    Speaking as one who has had a long Career that ran (and still does) on aggressive interior Firefighting I'll say this: Your Head doesn't belong in a place that's Hot enough to melt your goggles.........
    Or your azz! Stay LOW!

MembersZone Subscriber

And goggles don't belong on a fire helmet in my opinion. They seem to get used for eye protection about as often as Bourkes do, run only a close second in uselessness to 4" full faceshields after a couple of good smoky fires. Unless of course you're a yardbreather. In that case you may have some use for them.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by mtngael View Post
    And goggles don't belong on a fire helmet in my opinion. They seem to get used for eye protection about as often as Bourkes do, run only a close second in uselessness to 4" full faceshields after a couple of good smoky fires. Unless of course you're a yardbreather. In that case you may have some use for them.
    I actually use mine quite often. If we are responding to a structure fire, I have the ESS that snap onto the mounts, I simply unsnap them and remove them until its time for overhaul.

When I am on the ladder, I use them quite often when we drill with the saws, or actually use the saws.
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

55 Years & Still Rolling

Talking Guess What??............

I Found the Peeps...........
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

Thread Information