Forum Member

Default Having SCBA issues need help

My department recently switched SCBA to the Drager packs. We initially welcomed this as our old Scott SCBA's were worn out. After a couple of weeks we began to have some serious issues with the Drager's. I was wondering if anyone else had these or other problems. Here is a list of the problems we have encountered so far:

1. the quick connect reciever on the pack that connects the airbottle will unscrew and come loose.

2. the air bottles can be turned off by hose running across the valve handles. It only took 2ft of hose to go from on to off. Easy to do if your pulling hose.

3. O rings on the quick connect come loose causing a leak at the quickconnector

4. pass devices activate during actively pulling rock or hose.

See a more detailed list with other issues here.

Forum Member

First and foremost, you created an entire site to address the issues you are having with your packs and nobody has bothered to tell you Draeger is misspelled all over the site?

It's DraEger. Not trying to nitpick but the manufacturers name being spelled correctly is kind of important from a professional standpoint. It shows attention to detail.

As to your issue, have you contacted your local rep? If the problems are so constant that you had to start a website to log them, i think a phone call to your rep should have happened long ago.

MembersZone Subscriber

Not to jump on the bandwagon here, but Yeah!
    You sure seemed go through a lot of effort to create a website to slander a company and it's equipment via one post on here.

Where it was also noticeable that on one of your pages you then misspelled it as "Dreager".

While you may be trying to be pro-active by doing so; as WD stated, have you contacted your vendor? I think you may have put your deparment in a bind by creating this website. Attaching the name to a very slanderous website.

Forum Member

Default not slanderous

First of all I have seen Drager or Draeger spelled both ways. spelling in either case is not the issue. As far as it being slanderous, I have listed nothing that has not actually happened and have those involved willing to testify to that. For it to be slanderous it would have to be proven to be false and done so with intent to damage the company.

I cannot directly contact the vendor about these issues as it would violate my departments COC. The site was intended as a way to educate and gather information for these packs. With a department around 1000 people word of mouth will not travel far before it becomes wrong or misleading.

So if anyone out there uses these packs I would like to hear if you have had good or bad experiences. Had some of the same issues and how you were able to solve them. Getting rid of these SCBA's is not even a possibility so we need the best information we can get from those that have actual experience with them.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ragmat View Post
    First of all I have seen Drager or Draeger spelled both ways. spelling in either case is not the issue. As far as it being slanderous, I have listed nothing that has not actually happened and have those involved willing to testify to that. For it to be slanderous it would have to be proven to be false and done so with intent to damage the company.

I cannot directly contact the vendor about these issues as it would violate my departments COC. The site was intended as a way to educate and gather information for these packs. With a department around 1000 people word of mouth will not travel far before it becomes wrong or misleading.

So if anyone out there uses these packs I would like to hear if you have had good or bad experiences. Had some of the same issues and how you were able to solve them. Getting rid of these SCBA's is not even a possibility so we need the best information we can get from those that have actual experience with them.
    Got four packs never had any issues with them so far. Had 2 for about 4 years now.

Forum Member

farmerfire1156, my guess is the SCBAs you have are not 2007 compliant and that's why you are not having any problems. The problems that we have experienced and ragmat is current are the 2007 compliant SCABs from Drager.

Ragmat-We have had some issues as well. I had posted the issues we had in a previous thread.....http://www.firehouse.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109258 (New Draeger SCBAs). I can't remember the user name, but their was someone from Phoenix, not sure what Dept that had experienced several issues and it sounded like Drager was supporting them. My guess is if he is from Phoenix FD they would get support yesterday because they are Drager's "flagship". Anyway, I think it is best you make every effort to resolve these issues with Drager while you are documenting the issues. FYI, to date we still have not gotten our issues resolved and it seems we are getting the run around, so we will see.

FolowSmoke

Forum Member

Phoenix did have issues with the PASS unit activating while our personnel were performing fireground activities, (such as pulling ceiling, advancing hoselines, etc.), that should have not allowed the PASS unit to activiate. We worked with the Draeger vendor and they sent out a rep to adjust the sensitivity level. This is an adjustment that Draeger would not allow our techs to do, only the Draeger personnel were allowed to adjust this.

The factory adjustment was significantly less sensitive than the SCBAs and PASS units we used during the 2-week long evaluation process 18 months ago. We were not very happy that the SCBAs we received at purchase were set up different than the SCBAs we demoed. After several months of use, Draeger has corrected the sensitivitiy setting.

We also had the issues with the quick-connect fitting coming loose. Draeger told us that the threaded screw connection to the SCBA cylinder valve should of had a Lock-Tite type compound placed on it. Draeger did tell us which compound to use and our personnel fixed that issue. I would NOT use just any Lock-Tite compound without first contacting and getting direction from Draeger personnel (in writing!!).

Since the 2007 compliant model is new, I expected some issues. Anything you buy with a "Version 1.0" is going to have some glitches. What I don't understand is that you say the Draeger personnel won't assist you or that your department's "COC" (I don't know what that is) prevents you from contacting Draeger. How are you supposed to allow warranty work if you can't contact the vendor???

If I contacted the vendor or the Draeger reps and I couldn't get service, then I go up the food chain (like the Regional representative all the way up to the North American Director of Sales) until someone assists my department. PM me if you want to talk offline.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ragmat View Post

Wouldn't starting a website and such also violate the chain of command? Especially using your dept information.

Permanently Removed

ragmat- I see your problem- you bought Drager/Draeger. Either one is a bad purchase to begin with. Sent them to Mexico and buy Scott or Survivair.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU View Post
    ragmat- I see your problem- you bought Drager/Draeger. Either one is a bad purchase to begin with. Sent them to Mexico and buy Scott or Survivair.
    This is one of few instances where we agree.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

MembersZone Subscriber

I bought 12 Draeger airpacks back in 2003. The ONLY issues we have had were two PASS failures, which were taken care of in a timely fashion.

Does your department know about your web page?

Forum Member

Ok first when you say some of your face pieces kind of fell apart, could you elaborate. whe have had some of the on/off buttons for the voice amplifier just fall out. but that is all so far on that end, we have only had these packs in service since the first of december. Where do i check for metal shavings? We did discover a temporary help to the pass device going off. we secure it closer to the sentinal to the shoulder strap with a twist tye. We do so just enough if we need to we can pull it and it will come unsecured. this causes a more violent, for lack of a better word, movement of the device.

To answer some questions above. Does my department know about my website? sure they do by now.

COC stands for chain of command. We have to write letters and our tech services department will speak with the reps, we cant just call them on our own.

As for the website, I could not stand by knowing we are not the only department using these packs. I wanted to put something out there that could be of help to anyone that have these packs. I do not know about you but i have to use by SCBA nearly 50 to 60 times a year so I need to know everything about its capabilities and shortcomings. I did so with our old packs, and will do so with the next generation I am sure to see before I retire. That is why I have asked for anyone that has the new draegers/drager packs to send me information and experiences they have had with them. It will shorten the learning curve and maybe help someone down the road.

Thread Information