Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default air guard qs sorry put on wrong forum

im 25 years old am currently researching the air national guard for fire protection. i was wondering how long tech school is and what certs they train u for. i know they train you for your emt but do they train you for your paramedic cert as well? im choosing the air guard bc the economy so bad i simply cant afford to go to school and get all of my certs. ive had jobs in the past and am now working on building a career. if anyone has joined the air guard for fire protection your feedback is very much appreciated. did you enjoy it? how long were you gone? does it give you an advantage when applying for a civilian firefighting job? any information will help me prepare for the goal im setting for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by hardy333 View Post
    im 25 years old am currently researching the air national guard for fire protection. i was wondering how long tech school is and what certs they train u for. i know they train you for your emt but do they train you for your paramedic cert as well? im choosing the air guard bc the economy so bad i simply cant afford to go to school and get all of my certs. ive had jobs in the past and am now working on building a career. if anyone has joined the air guard for fire protection your feedback is very much appreciated. did you enjoy it? how long were you gone? does it give you an advantage when applying for a civilian firefighting job? any information will help me prepare for the goal im setting for myself.
    I am an Air Guard Firefighter. Been so since 2006.

Tech school is 14 weeks. You come out it with First Responder, FF I/II, Hazmat Awareness and Ops and Airport Rescue Firefighter (ARFF).

You will not get your EMT-B or your Paramedic certification from the academy.

I still do not have a full time Firefighting position and am well certified and experienced.. (all my driver/operator certs, hazmat technician, Instructor I, Inspector I and Officer I along with several licenses for vehicles). I have been a volunteer firefighter since I had joined the Air Guard. I have deployments, temp time and several runs under my belt.

I love being a firefighter with the guard, but sometimes it seems like most of my entire guard drill is spent on ancillary training.. Don't let this get you down, some places are better than others. Best of luck.

-Damien

Thread Information