Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Volunteer Rehab

Forum Member

Default Volunteer Rehab

Question for all of the volunteer firefighters...I volunteer for a Rehab/Traffic control group in my county and I was wondering If we show up on a scene what are some things that would make your lives easier when dealing with an accident or fire? We already have things like coffee,water, snacks and a bathroom but other then that. Also a FF asked one of us if we could dry his gloves tonight while on a scene, what would be the quickest way to do that? We put them by the heater but they were soaked so he eventually had to put them back on in the below freezing temps.

First off - is your group specifically called in to scenes by the FD?

Drying gloves - tough to do in only a few minutes - if it is going to be longer, there are boot/glove driers you can purchase - the glove or boot slips over a heater.....I know I have seen them on Amazon.com - but have heard it can take overnight to dry items.....

Bathroom and a warm place to rehab are important to me - also beverages appropriate to the weather conditions. Possibly shelter - at least overhead - in cases of rain.

Other than that.....

Forum Member

Its going to be tough to dry gloves in less than a couple of hours. This is a prime reason why I carry a 2nd set of gloves in my inner jacket pocket.

MembersZone Subscriber

My rehab needs are pretty simple.

Someplace warm and dry, or cool and dry depending on the time of year that I can sit down and rest.
    A cold or hot drink.
    Someplace that I can drop my pack and gear for a few minutes.

Forum Member

Yeah it sounds like we have all that covered. I guess just getting as much moisture out of the gloves with a towel is the best we can do without more time. Are you asking if we are scanner chasers? We actually are supported by a fire station. We all have county pagers and have our own set of tones. We are used primarily for traffic control on major fires and Alcohol/10-0 related accidents. I am currently trying to get on a local department and use this as a volunteer experience.

Thanks guys.

What about using a blow dryer to dry the gloves?
    FF/Paramedic

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm career, but here are some things that that might help:
    - We have some turnout dryers at the stations which are basically PVC piping with holes drilled in them. I'm sure you could easily modify them to be portable and warmer air to help during cold weather rehab. You won't dry them in a 30 min rehab session but at least you won't be putting on freezing gear. Make sure to review manufacturer instructions so you don't ruin any expensive gear.
    - Bring a collection of folding chairs with backs.
    - Have a couple EZ-Ups (shelters).
    - An AM/FM radio just to have some pleasant noise in the background.
    - See if a local clothing store (Walmart) would donate a couple dozen cheap undershirts and socks to provide people to switch out if they've sweat through.
    - Fans (evaporating cooling fans are great if you can get them donated) or heaters depending on the time of year.

Let us know what you end up doing. Good luck!

Forum Member

Hair dryers and the pvc set-up both sound like good ideas.Only thing is regarding the manufacturers specs. Like the other night it was a call out for mutual aid to several different Vol. Stations and these guys dont all wear the same gloves.Some even buy there own. Other then that those ideas semm like they should work. I dont know how rehab works for other areas because I have never been involved with it before but I describe our setup so far.
    We use a modified school bus with the seats turned with the backs facing the sides of the bus for more walk space. Its is completely heated/cooled depending on the weather(Indiana). We have it loaded down with hot and cool drinks regardless of the weather. Walmart works with us giving us discounts on snack foods, soups, coffee, hot chocalate, etc. We have a Wish List set up through our sponsoring fire station that we usually request socks but have to many at this point so we need to discuss other ideas (reason for me asking this question). Canopy on the side when we need it. But yes I DO believe we need more chairs...we have like 3 and they are in poor condition. Oh we also have a completely functioning bathroom.

Forum Member

Also I think we have talked about a putting a radio on there somewhere, but most guys just want to listen to county fire so we just leave that on.

Quote Originally Posted by RW84 View Post
    Also I think we have talked about a putting a radio on there somewhere, but most guys just want to listen to county fire so we just leave that on.
    He means a music radio.
    FF/Paramedic

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TNFF319 View Post
    He means a music radio.
    I think he knew what type of radio, he stated that most wants to listen to county traffic.
    I like the pvc pipe and heater idea. As much as we have to rig up things cause we cant afford a fabricated piece, we should have thought of that. Each one of our rehab folks are emt's. Im sure everyone's rehab personnel are as well.

Forum Member

My buddy actually told me he dries his glove by cutting out the little square windows on the gatorade bottles then he fits his gloves over those and places them on a register or vent. I guess we will see where the rest of the guys wan to go as far as what we are purchasing next.

*yeah I knew that he meant a music radio but the PA speakers in the bus are connected to a county fire radio that is usually what the guys want to listen to.We thought of putting the music radio in the bathroom though. Little peace while ya go.

Thread Information