Forum Member

After reading a lot of these posts, i realize that people are in this field for a LOT of different reasons. Not saying there bad, but i didnt become a fireman for the money. I knew that coming in. If i wanted money i would have gone and got a college degree and sat behind a desk. Being a fireman to me is all about the fire. Its just weird hearing people settle at departments where they might never run a fire their whole career because the moneys good. Is that why some people joined? For the title, and the cash?
    -Ron Stanton

Avondale Fire Company
    Chester County Station 23

visit our page @ http://www.avondalefirecompany.org

DCFD
    Engine Co. 11
    www.houseofflame.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BackStepNBackWards View Post
    After reading a lot of these posts, i realize that people are in this field for a LOT of different reasons. Not saying there bad, but i didnt become a fireman for the money. I knew that coming in. If i wanted money i would have gone and got a college degree and sat behind a desk. Being a fireman to me is all about the fire. Its just weird hearing people settle at departments where they might never run a fire their whole career because the moneys good. Is that why some people joined? For the title, and the cash?
    ill be honest, i love the pay that i get! that doesn't mean i don't love my job also.

Forum Member

Yep, and to boss people like you around.

Forum Member

Like I said if you are truly committed there ae plenty of volunteer fire departments that fight a lot of fire and would be glad to have you

Would be glad to find some in your area or you can move to one

Forum Member

around here, you need a little credibility to "boss" people around. Im sure you have it though...
    -Ron Stanton

Avondale Fire Company
    Chester County Station 23

visit our page @ http://www.avondalefirecompany.org

DCFD
    Engine Co. 11
    www.houseofflame.com

Forum Member

Don't see a purpose in even trying to compare pay/benefits between city and federal governments. It is just too much of an apples/oranges comparison.

Forum Member

around here, you need a little credibility to "boss" people around. Im sure you have it though...
    Actually.. in this little part of the FF world (dod) all you really need is the Certs.

Forum Member

just wad up the certs and throw it at the fire and I am sure it will go out, just like a fit.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    just wad up the certs and throw it at the fire and I am sure it will go out, just like a fit.
    what fire?

Forum Member

I think he's talking about the imaginary fire that all the young guys/airman talk about to the girls downtown.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by peterbound View Post
    I think he's talking about the imaginary fire that all the young guys/airman talk about to the girls downtown.
    ahhh, the proverbial 'fire in the pants'

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by cafireman View Post
    why are you a firefighter?!?! **** i lost my job at the fort riley fire department in kansas after only working there 8 months, and i moved everything i had from santa barbara county california to the middle of kansas, i even lost the one and only woman i wanted to spend the rest of my life with to be a firefighter!!! I only have my california fire academy certificate of completion, my dod/ ifsac/ npqs fire i & ii, hazmat awareness & ops, and my nremt-b, and im going to the alabama fire college next month to get my arff cert so i can try to get another dod job, or any firefighting job for that matter!! If i was hired by any fire department the could pay me minimum wage, give me the crappiest jobs to do, make me stay awake the whole shift, or make me do whatever they want me to, thats how bad i want to be a firefighter, that is the only job that i ever want to do!!! **** they could pay me peanuts!!! I want to be a firefighter because that is the only job i have ever wanted to do!! I want to give back to the community and serve them!! Pay, benefits, retirement all mean nothing to me!! I would do anything to be a firefighter right now!!! Being a firefighter is more than pay, benefits, and retirement! Its giving back to your comminity, thats is where it is at!! Why do you complain about working 16 more hours than city or county departments!! Thats 16 more hours that you get to ride in an engine, truck, rescue, or ambulance!! If it is so damn bad then quit! I will take your spot gladly!!! Be greatful that you have the best job in the world!!
    hand**** is that you??????????????????????????????????????????

Forum Member

Your in the job for the wrong reason bud. I take it you have never had your house burn down. Not a fun experiance take it from me. Its a sickning fealing to hear your adress come after the tones with the words working structure fire.

If I spend the next 14 years of my service moping floors and scrubing *****ters then I say I had a good term of service. I don't ever wish for any to have to live with loseing everything in a fire. I just know that im there to help if it does.

Thread Information