MembersZone Subscriber

Default Barcode Scanner / Asset Tracking

Hi,

We are looking at options for tracking assets, our AHJ is looking at hiring an outside firm to perform this duty, however it will still require us to work along side the technician to provide information such as "what is this thing?" and "what does it cost". Since we will be involved in any case I'm looking for input from anyone who is using a hand-held scanner/barcoding system to track your inventory of equipment. Our needs include the capability to provide inventory lists by location (apparatus/stattion/storage), cost per location, overall/complete inventory & cost, etc. I would like to hear if you use a barcode label printer or sheets of barcode labels, how well do they adhere to equipment, etc.

If anyone has insight on the good, the bad, and the ugly I'd appreciate a note. You can reach me via email at chief@chittfore.org

Thanks,
    MS
    "Improvise, Adapt, Overcome".........
    Clint Eastwood, Heartbreak Ridge

I.A.C.O.J.

E.S.A.D.

NYS SFI

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fyrescue View Post
    Hi,

We are looking at options for tracking assets, our AHJ is looking at hiring an outside firm to perform this duty, however it will still require us to work along side the technician to provide information such as "what is this thing?" and "what does it cost". Since we will be involved in any case I'm looking for input from anyone who is using a hand-held scanner/barcoding system to track your inventory of equipment. Our needs include the capability to provide inventory lists by location (apparatus/stattion/storage), cost per location, overall/complete inventory & cost, etc. I would like to hear if you use a barcode label printer or sheets of barcode labels, how well do they adhere to equipment, etc.

If anyone has insight on the good, the bad, and the ugly I'd appreciate a note. You can reach me via email at chief@chittfore.org

Thanks,
    MS
    Hello, Nice question but I am new in this forum.

I come across found one new website for Barcode Printers and Barcode Scanners.

Thanks
    Liza Florendo

Forum Member

MS-

You need not look too far! NYS OHS is using an asset tracking program called TCMax from Soaring Software Solutions... The program has a 'file' (shop code) for each County, and then each WMD trailer and it's contents. Basically, each trailer (or in your case the apparatus) is a storage location, items (like an SCBA) can be 'parents' with additional items (quick detatch regulators, PASS, masks, etc.) can be 'children' of the parent item.

For an inventory, you 'assign' all equipment off the apparatus, then you scan each item (barcode) as you return it and it will track what is outstanding.

It also has a maintenance / calibration feature that can be used to track when service is done.

It can all run from a 'scanner' (Symbol's MC90's and MC70's are prevalent in the OHS program) and then is uploaded to the main computer for report generation and such. Contact me off line and I can point you toward some folks that can show you how it works and provide thoughts about it...

Forum Member

Default Asset Tracking Services

DISCLAIMER: I work for a company (RedBeam) that has a fixed asset tracking solution:

Fixed Asset Tracking

It's a great product, used by many FDs, but mine's a biased opinion. More than anything, I wanted to let you know about a local NY company that performs the type of asset tracking services you mentioned.

The name is Asset Group, Inc. and their site is http://theassetgroupinc.com/. Talk to Bruce.

For any solution, I highly recommend a web demo to make sure the system will do what you need it to. Also, it gives you a feel for the company.

Best of luck.

Thread Information