Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Speed lay info

Default Speed lay info

Is there any good websites that have different ways on how to put speedlays together. We are adding 50' to our lays (1 3/4) to make them 200'. What has been happening is that both ends of hose end up together. Some guys know how to correct it but some guys take awhile to get it right (I'm one of them). Looking for a quick & easy way to get thew hose on. We only have our attack lines as speedlays, the others are flatlays (3"supply, ldh & 2 1/2).
    "If I'm not back in five minutes.. wait longer."

MembersZone Subscriber

try a triple load

Speed lay info
    I have bitten through my lip.
    Logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Question And ................

All of our Hose is Racked Flat, what are you calling a Speed Lay??.... New term in these parts.......
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Because of this statement:

What has been happening is that both ends of hose end up together.
    I am wondering if these 'speedlays' are not preconnected.

If they are 'laid' in a hose tray or bed, it might be possible for someone to pull the entire load at the moment their humph is at the highest, but I still don't get how the ends get together.

Do you mean a 50' donut 'double roll'?

I've heard of some departments calling their hose reel a speed lay. I've heard of jump lines. But I have no idea what you are calling a speed lay.

If it is that complicated, I'd consider finding something speedier.

Shoot a picture of the load with a closeup of the ends if possible.
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Here's a how we load our speedlays:
    We leave a foot of hose (female) then we flake the remaining hose 3 layers high then grab entire length then fold all 3 layers together while were laying hose into tray the loop that is put into the bail gets bigger, so when its done there's a 1ft or longer looped length of hose sticking out. Then they grab the loop and throw the folded lengths over your shoulder and pull it off. I was looking for a more standard set of directions so that they all are loaded the same. Sometimes we have longer or shorter loops hanging out. These are all preconnected. We are doing 150ft but weill be changing to 200ft soon, and the current way takes some time to get it done right. The extra 50ft puts the nozzle end right at the female end. Then we have to do modifications to get it to fit in the truck.

Forum Member

I thought that a speed lay was a black plastic slide-out pre-connected hose tray...

Forum Member

We use the Minuteman for our 1 3/4 Mattydales. 100' in the bed followed by the nozzle and another 100'. It has worked well for us, but I'm ALWAYS looking for ways to improve.

MembersZone Subscriber voyager9's Avatar

Is there a web site that shows the various hose loads and how they are packed/pulled? Something along the lines of animatedknots.com for hose loads.
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

Quote Originally Posted by sq51kmg365 View Post
    Here's a how we load our speedlays:
    We leave a foot of hose (female) then we flake the remaining hose 3 layers high then grab entire length then fold all 3 layers together while were laying hose into tray the loop that is put into the bail gets bigger, so when its done there's a 1ft or longer looped length of hose sticking out. Then they grab the loop and throw the folded lengths over your shoulder and pull it off. I was looking for a more standard set of directions so that they all are loaded the same. Sometimes we have longer or shorter loops hanging out. These are all preconnected. We are doing 150ft but weill be changing to 200ft soon, and the current way takes some time to get it done right. The extra 50ft puts the nozzle end right at the female end. Then we have to do modifications to get it to fit in the truck.
    I guess I am still confused. If these are preconnected, how do you end up with a female couple that is loose?

Our crosslay preconnects are centered in our trays and will swivel to either side of the truck depending on side pulled from. We 'loop' both sides since we can never know what the truck placement will be; but the nozzle is usually more left than right. Once the load is pulled (150', 200', or 250') it is flaked out behind. Most times a 2nd FF continues to flake or position as the load is moved forward.

We add 'double-rolled' sections as needed. But we never have a open female unless we add a section.

Loading: We load the hose on the truck and not on the ground. In other words, we do not assemble the load groundside and then put it on the truck. By doing it this way, the loops are uniform. Some trays may not hold 200' or more depending on the height of the tray wall and would create an issue if you cannot split the load. Our ENGINES have three preconnects, with one newer Engine having four trays. The fourth tray stores 100' that can be added as needed.

Most Jump Lines are 250 feet of 2.5" or 3" and are preconnected (rear) with either a Playpipe or 2.5" nozzles. Some Engines have a front 2.5" Jump Line but these are not usually used in preference to rear connects.

I think this is a matter of preference. While there are many customary loads and recommendations, your department must do what works best for you. By all means, go visit your neighbors and see what they do.
    Last edited by PaladinKnight; 12-23-2009 at 12:14 PM.
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

MembersZone Subscriber

You are using a tri-fold hose load, it appears. One bit of advice, dont stick the loop through the bale of the nozzle. This can cause a major delay in water if it is charged too soon, before the loop is pulled from the bale.

My suggestion if the rig allows for it, try loading your hose so it hangs out of the bed on each side by about a foot. It will allow more hose to comfortably fit in the slots.

Take some pics and show us, you will get better answers.

sq51kmg365....

We had the same problem several years ago when we added 50' to our 150' preconnected hoses. Very simple fix.....

Use a triple lay. What I mean by that, some places have different names for it, is to lay your 4 lines up next to each other and hook them up together. Determine which end is the truck end and which end is the nozzle end. Now here is tricky part....flake them out so instead of 4 layers of hose, there are 3 layers, and move the connections so they are away from the either end, with the truck connection on the bottom. Stack all 3 layers of hose on top of each other, again with the section connecting to the truck on the bottom. Flake it out so the stack of 3 is about 2 feet from either end....two feet of the section that will hook to the truck and two feet of nozzle section. Now load all three sections onto the truck. The extra 2 feet on either end will be taken up with the slack of folding the hose in the hosebed.

Now when you attach the nozzle, take the loop of the hose and put it through the bail of the nozzle. You have to train your guys to pull not only the nozzle, but the loop as well. This ensures all three lines will come off together. When the first 50 feet or so play out, the guy can drop the loop and continue on with the nozzle. If they don't grab the nozzle AND the loop, there will be a pile of spaghetti at the truck.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Post Wait a Minute............

This is Far, Far, too complicated. Try something much simpler.

Connect the Female coupling to the Discharge. Then fold the hose in flat. When the 4th Section of Hose is loaded, attach the Nozzle. Lay the nozzle on top of the hose.

When you need the line, grab the nozzle and run with it, the rest of the hose will follow you. When you run out of hose, you'll stop. It doesn't get any easier than this.

Someone will jump in here with the old "what about going around Corners or up Stairs?" If that's a problem, take the nozzle and the next several folds down from the top on your shoulder, reach back and pull another loop behind you as you go.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Harve, you forgot to tell him about the "dog ears".
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by BULL321; 12-23-2009 at 07:54 PM.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL
    http://sylvafiredeptnc.tripod.com

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    This is Far, Far, too complicated. Try something much simpler.

Connect the Female coupling to the Discharge. Then fold the hose in flat. When the 4th Section of Hose is loaded, attach the Nozzle. Lay the nozzle on top of the hose.

When you need the line, grab the nozzle and run with it, the rest of the hose will follow you. When you run out of hose, you'll stop. It doesn't get any easier than this.

Someone will jump in here with the old "what about going around Corners or up Stairs?" If that's a problem, take the nozzle and the next several folds down from the top on your shoulder, reach back and pull another loop behind you as you go.
    As Harve said, connected the line this way, forget about all the loops and pulls somewhere don as they will get tangled.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Load it flat. After the second old in the bed put in a loop that extends past the end of the bed on both ends. It should be large enough to slide your gloved hand into. Continue loading the hose until you get 100 feet into the bed, then put in another loop slightly larger than the one below on both ends to allow for pulling the top 100 feet onto your shoulder. Finish loading the last 100 feet and attach the nozzle.

How you advance this load is you pull the top 100 feet out onto your shoulder and reach back and grab the other loop and walk away from the rig. As you walk the bed will clear and you can eventually drop that first loop. When you want to set up that last 100 feet for advancement you can drop it on the ground grab the coupling at the 50 foot mark and the nozzle and flake out the hose.

Easy and fast for one guy to lay out. I have never had the hose tangle when loaded this way and laid out as I described.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Load it flat. After the second old in the bed put in a loop that extends past the end of the bed on both ends. It should be large enough to slide your gloved hand into. Continue loading the hose until you get 100 feet into the bed, then put in another loop slightly larger than the one below on both ends to allow for pulling the top 100 feet onto your shoulder. Finish loading the last 100 feet and attach the nozzle.

How you advance this load is you pull the top 100 feet out onto your shoulder and reach back and grab the other loop and walk away from the rig. As you walk the bed will clear and you can eventually drop that first loop. When you want to set up that last 100 feet for advancement you can drop it on the ground grab the coupling at the 50 foot mark and the nozzle and flake out the hose.

Easy and fast for one guy to lay out. I have never had the hose tangle when loaded this way and laid out as I described.
    DBL "Dog Ears"
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL
    http://sylvafiredeptnc.tripod.com

I guess I am still confused. If these are preconnected, how do you end up with a female couple that is loose?The female end is loose before it gets connected to the rig. I'll try & put a pic up on what we have. We flat load 2-150' sections of hose off the back. Our "country lay" not preconnected and 200' of 2.5 that is connected.

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by BULL321 View Post
    DBL "Dog Ears"
    Wasn't sure most people would know what that meant. We use ears, or loops.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Our speedlays also known as crosslays are in three trays or beds that cross the engine. They are preconnected. They get two layers of hose that stop even with the edge of the tray. The third layer gets a hanging fold. Next two layers are even again. Top layer gets hanging fold and the nozzle is connected and laying in the middle of the bed.
    At the scene, nozzle man grabs first loop hanging fold, backup man grabs the next hanging loop and flakes out. Works with 1 3/4 or 2 1/2.

Thread Information