Forum Member

Default Voluntary Fire Department Consolidation

Here's a link to a local (Albany, NY area) news story on the consolidation of two local VFD's. We've been working on this on and off for 15 years, but through ther efforts of many, and the funding of a grant to study and pay for the legal aspects of the consolidation, it finally became a reallity.

http://www.cbs6albany.com/video/?videoId=58599073001

And, in case you were wondering, I'm a Past Chief, on the DFD side of this, and a former Fire Commissioner in NGFD#1, currently a Company Board Memnber of the DFD side.

Just thought that I'd share, and see if it generated any good discussion.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."

George S. Patton

Forum Member

The citizens of DFD should be thankful. How close were the stations and how much coverage will the new dept cover combined?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DFDCar1 View Post
    Here's a link to a local (Albany, NY area) news story on the consolidation of two local VFD's. We've been working on this on and off for 15 years, but through ther efforts of many, and the funding of a grant to study and pay for the legal aspects of the consolidation, it finally became a reallity.

http://www.cbs6albany.com/video/?videoId=58599073001

And, in case you were wondering, I'm a Past Chief, on the DFD side of this, and a former Fire Commissioner in NGFD#1, currently a Company Board Memnber of the DFD side.

Just thought that I'd share, and see if it generated any good discussion.
    Great Job Chief. I know of both departments as I am just a few miles away. I know that NYS has legislation in place right now to study more consolidations and make them happen where appropriate. I have friends in the Cites of Johnstown and Gloversville who say the two should consolidate as well. They keep asking why do we need two of everything for a two cities that are essentially one. Right away you eliminate a ton of overhead and insted of two Police Chiefs, Fire Chiefs, Highway Superintendents, Mayors, etc, you have one. And in the case of the FD, instead of two ladder trucks you would have one, a saving of $1 million for the taxpayers. I would like to see the entire county consolidate the fire departments. Unfortunately, only 4 of the 17 are municipal in nature, the other 13 are private corporations.

Forum Member

About 20 square miles, 11,500 population, with two stations about 4.5 miles apart (at almost opposite corners of the town.) the Town of North Greenbush is the only town located directly between the City of Troy (career department) and the City of Rensselaer (combination department). We are directly across the Hudson River from the north end of the City of Albany (all carreer) and the Village of Menands (all volunteer).

George S. Patton

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DFDCar1 View Post
    About 20 square miles, 11,500 population, with two stations about 4.5 miles apart (at almost opposite corners of the town.) the Town of North Greenbush is the only town located directly between the City of Troy (career department) and the City of Rensselaer (combination department). We are directly across the Hudson River from the north end of the City of Albany (all carreer) and the Village of Menands (all volunteer).
    With this step are you all looking at combination (career/volunteer)?

Forum Member

Likely one of the next steps in the process. DFD is in desperate need of a new station. The town historically, has primarily been a bedroom "feeder" community for jobs in the cities, primarily state jobs in Albany. In recent years, some moderate commercial growth in technology jobs has brought the daytime population clkose to that of the nightime population, but without anywhere near as many available firefighters. It's my belief that we will be looking at combination staffing, primarily weekdays, within the next few years.

George S. Patton

Forum Member

I could see where the report mentioned ego problems preventing this from happening years ago. Here, the ego runs big, I mean big. I dont think that a consolidation would work for us, and it wouldnt benefit the tax payers at all. Congrats on getting this done. Sounds like all will benefit.

Forum Member

There are situations where consolidations work. And there are not.

Being from the area, this is a good fit as you have 2 very similiar communties. In cases where the communities are not as similiar, there often are significant issues.

Thread Information