Angry Paycheck - Money Stolen From Station

Hey all, my first post but been here for awhile... I wanted to get everyone's opinion on this and how to handle it. I am a Paramedic in Texas at a hospital based EMS. Our station has three bedrooms... two for senior medics and a two bed bedroom for the "basics" on shift. To get to the story, Yesterday was payday and since our hospital does not have direct deposit I went to cash my check... After I cashed it I stashed it away in an envelope in my wallet. Around midnight that night we had a transfer and we stopped and ate at a restaurant... Money in envelope still there... went back to the station to go to sleep.. When I woke up in the morning while going to buy an energy drink I found that the envelope with all my Paycheck cash was gone... Nothing else is missing, and it is no where to be found... We have no cameras in our station, and as much as I feel terrible to accuse, all signs point to a thief... two days before Christmas! This is third time in about a year and a half that money has been stolen... and there does seem to be 2 or 3 common people involved... but again, no proof. I am dumbfounded at the situation and have no Idea to handle it... What do you guys think?

Forum Member

IMHO, with no conclusive proof to make a direct accusation, I'd turn it over to law enforcement. Even if you could embarrass or shame (or beat) someone into returning your $$$, what's to stop them from doing it again to someone else? With a history of multiple occasions, you are dealing with a person or perssons who should not be in a place of public trust. I don't want cops fighting fires, and we shouldn't be investigating thefts...
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."

George S. Patton

Forum Member

Let me get this straight. There were only a few on duty and the officer in charge didn't do a lock down?

File a police report and let them interview everyone. The sooner you root this out the better for all involved.

We had this happen at my last assignment. The guy that was robbed advised the shift commander upon discovery. Our protocols stated that no one leaves until police take report and begin interviews. There are no excuses for anyone to leave. The ones that are not involved usually understand the issue and want it cleared up asap. The one that did it is the guy that has to leave because...

I was called about 30 minutes after shift change. I contacted the investigators rather than rely on only a beat cop report. I had one FF that took exception to being held over during the investigation but I told him that unless he had something to hide, this affected him as well; he might be the next target.

In this situation, the guy that did it confessed before the second interview concluded. The fear of the process broke him down before they ever got to him. He fessed up, returned the money, was cuffed and stuffed. Of course he will never work in Fire/EMS again. He was given probation since it was his first offense, but most likely the first time he was caught as well. His reason was the usual thing, he had money issues. The guys that worked with him just couldn't believe it, but turned on him on a dime. There is no excuse for betraying the trust.

I hate thieves. I'm sorry that some scumbag worthless piece of crap took advantage of you. I hope you find out who it is pretty quick, but the longer you fail to report and act, the easier it is for this 'person' to get his act together and lie his way out of it.

DISCLAIMER: My use of the word 'person' above should not be interpreted as an individual that is honest and of good heart. It should be interpreted as someone that needs to be taken out back and beaten with a wet section of hose, with the coupler intact.
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by kevinamt View Post
    Hey all, my first post but been here for awhile... I wanted to get everyone's opinion on this and how to handle it. I am a Paramedic in Texas at a hospital based EMS. Our station has three bedrooms... two for senior medics and a two bed bedroom for the "basics" on shift. To get to the story, Yesterday was payday and since our hospital does not have direct deposit I went to cash my check... After I cashed it I stashed it away in an envelope in my wallet. Around midnight that night we had a transfer and we stopped and ate at a restaurant... Money in envelope still there... went back to the station to go to sleep.. When I woke up in the morning while going to buy an energy drink I found that the envelope with all my Paycheck cash was gone... Nothing else is missing, and it is no where to be found... We have no cameras in our station, and as much as I feel terrible to accuse, all signs point to a thief... two days before Christmas! This is third time in about a year and a half that money has been stolen... and there does seem to be 2 or 3 common people involved... but again, no proof. I am dumbfounded at the situation and have no Idea to handle it... What do you guys think?
    I think that after the first instance of theft, one would have learned a lesson and either...

A: kept the cash on their person

B: locked it in a locker.

C: deposited said check in their accounts, only keeping a small amount for incidental expenses such as lunch, coffee, etc. etc. etc.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Did you guys ever hear of direct deposit?

Our City mandates it for it employees.

No checks are cut so no one can steal on and try to cash it.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post

Our employer doesn't offer it. They say it is too expensive. I had actually asked our Financial Officer about that the morning I got paid... what a coincidence I guess...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post

Just to help you out here

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    Just to help you out here

Thanks.

I missed that in all that rambling on bunch of words.

Deposit the entire check with the exception of maybe 10 to 20 bucks.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Confront the cowards who you think are stealing from their co-workers.

But like others said; report it to the police.
    A man is not finished when he is defeated; He is finished when he QUITS!

-Former U.S. President Richard M. Nixon.

MembersZone Subscriber

Got to agree with two - turn it over to Law Enforcement NOW. You should have done it as soon as you found out about it - with your supervisors involved.

And get better personal cash managment.

Thread Information