Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Forum Member

Default The future of firefighting...

There over the horizon we gaze at our fate. What shall it behold, you may ask? What does the future have for each of us? I can say for myself that in my neck of the woods, the department has just took on some new hires. The area keeps expanding and growth is a good thing, but then on the other side of the foot, our new recruits are young and dumb as a box of goons (I hate to say it, but sometimes the words “dumb” and “young” are inter-mixable, if you know what I mean…) So guess what… One of our “quote unquote newbies” thought it would be really clever to start calling me papa smurf. So I says to myself, “Ok… time to extinguish that behavior like a class K fire”. Now this dumb little blue shirt has a tendency to be disrespectful, unappropriate, and simply inacceptable on top of it. Ouch Bub, the truth hurts, eh? So then guess what I did next… I respectfully asked him if he went to school at Chukee Cheez. He said that he was “homeschooled”. Now hold on a second here, class… we all know that homeschoolers aren’t as smart as the average bear, not a newsflash, I know. And I don’t want to discriminate anybody… but then again, this sure explains why the homeschool fairy forgot to leave a brain under his pillow… He didn’t know what to say when I told him that!!! Game, set, match. So then we just left the matter alone like mature adults because I told him that I didn’t want to sink to his level. I wanted to communicate like a civilized human… if he has any CLUE what that means!!! Anyway, problem extinguished!!! But guess what, Bub… Fire is real. Smurfs aren’t. That’s the one thing I’d like to extinguish for all the rookies out there. If your stuck in Cartoonville, then snap out of it, shape up, and snap out of it, because the future of firefighting depends on YOU!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

In before the lock
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

MembersZone Subscriber

I am not a great advocate of homeschooling, but do you want to point us towards a source for your ignorant statement that homeschooled children aren't as smart as those children who attend school? I could show you three examples that are contrary to your assertion.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

MembersZone Subscriber

George,

here is an example of Sparky and his handy work.

Just a troll looking for attention.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Forum Member

Sparky really? I couldnt make it through your entire post before I started laughing at you. You know the saying, "Look who is calling the kettle black". I do understand your point on new recruits and the disrespect some show for this job. I understand your pain. But really before you start venting, really think about what you wanna say so you dont sound "homeschooled" yourself!...Departments, particulary bigger city departments are trying to become more "diverse" which brings individuals from all backgrounds into the fire service who may not realize the traditions and "unwritten rules"...It is men like yourself that have to pass this stuff along, even to the know all ****y ones...They learn these lessons sitting at kitchen tables and out on calls...The silent treatments are always the best way to deal with these individuals, trust me....

Back In Black

Can I have a few paragraph breaks, please?

Imagine if we talked that way... wait, maybe he does!
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Default Sorry...

But somebody needed to say it.

Forum Member

Sparky I don't know what kind of "schooling" you had, but you might want to kick whomever taught you english and grammar composition square in the seat of their pants.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

Just let the troll be,

he has done this before as Sparky625. Just wants to get everybody worked up and then leave.

Forum Member

Default Trolls are fake... just like smurfs.

Thought most people knew that. Are you Norwegian?

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey, Does everyone got all of their Christmas shopping done yet? Did you remember to get the stocking stuffers?

Hell at least this line of questions makes sense.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky626 View Post
    There over the horizon we gaze at our fate. What shall it behold, you may ask? What does the future have for each of us? I can say for myself that in my neck of the woods, the department has just took on some new hires. The area keeps expanding and growth is a good thing, but then on the other side of the foot, our new recruits are young and dumb as a box of goons (I hate to say it, but sometimes the words “dumb” and “young” are inter-mixable, if you know what I mean…) So guess what… One of our “quote unquote newbies” thought it would be really clever to start calling me papa smurf. So I says to myself, “Ok… time to extinguish that behavior like a class K fire”. Now this dumb little blue shirt has a tendency to be disrespectful, unappropriate, and simply inacceptable on top of it. Ouch Bub, the truth hurts, eh? So then guess what I did next… I respectfully asked him if he went to school at Chukee Cheez. He said that he was “homeschooled”. Now hold on a second here, class… we all know that homeschoolers aren’t as smart as the average bear, not a newsflash, I know. And I don’t want to discriminate anybody… but then again, this sure explains why the homeschool fairy forgot to leave a brain under his pillow… He didn’t know what to say when I told him that!!! Game, set, match. So then we just left the matter alone like mature adults because I told him that I didn’t want to sink to his level. I wanted to communicate like a civilized human… if he has any CLUE what that means!!! Anyway, problem extinguished!!! But guess what, Bub… Fire is real. Smurfs aren’t. That’s the one thing I’d like to extinguish for all the rookies out there. If your stuck in Cartoonville, then snap out of it, shape up, and snap out of it, because the future of firefighting depends on YOU!!!

Interesting, taking shots at home schoolers, YET. Incomplete sentences, run-ons, and no paragraph structure at all. This looks like something a 5th grader would have written.

MembersZone Subscriber

careful punk....don't be ripping on us Norwegians....

My viking heritage might come out and whoop your posterior.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusKspn View Post
    George,

Very interesting how a person's respect and honor have a way of "following" them around, huh... that's all I have to say.

Forum Member

Seems to me, respect is earned and if you want to be respected, one has to show respect too. I'm not condoning the issue with the new guy, but what kind of example did you just provide? What kind of childlike "cartoonish" behavior did you repond with?

Seems to me a respectful, grown up, senior firefighter, when called a nickname by a new guy would have pulled the guy aside and stated that such a comment is inappropriate. Don't you think that would be considered more respectful and also teaches the "young and dumb" the proper way to address an issue, vs berating their education and personality? The future of firefighting lies within the hands of those who are here today. The example you show and lead with today will impact the future of those who follow.
    The thoughts and opinions posted here are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the thoughts and or views of city or dept affiliation.

Forum Member

Papa smurf....that is kinda funny

Forum Member

HUH?????

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

here we go.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

Forum Member

Sounds like lover's spat between a new explorer and the head explorer- I.E. Pappa Smirf.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Early Adopter

Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    Interesting, taking shots at home schoolers, YET. Incomplete sentences, run-ons, and no paragraph structure at all. This looks like something a 5th grader would have written.
    Don't insult fifth-graders like that.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusKspn View Post
    George,

Oh. You mean he's an a**hole. Missed that the first time. Thanks Marcus.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Permanently Removed

I just wasted 30 seconds I will never get back.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    Oh. You mean he's an a**hole. Missed that the first time. Thanks Marcus.
    We gotta take the common ground wherever we can find it

MembersZone Subscriber

Thought most people knew that. Are you Norwegian?
    Kool it dude. Norwegians were the only people singled out after 9-11 as the people least likely to be behind the terrorist attacks. Have a little luteke (sp) fish for Christmas

Forum Member

Sparky,I suggest either you quit wearing your feelings on your sleeve or quit the fire service all together.I mean if you can't take something as simple as a nickname without blowing a gasket,what good are you on the fireground?What good are you to the others you work with.New people need to be taught the rich heritage of the fire service and what commradery is.You cannot achieve this by talking down to them.Everyone,I mean everyone, in the fire service today started at square one.No one came into this job knowing everything.Those that do,usually don't last long.Next time,take a couple of deep breaths and teach,not destroy.
    It's not that life is so short,it's cause you're dead for so long.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information