Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Doubts about getting started

Well, I've been bouncing around the idea of being a firefighter in my head for a little while but I have a decent amount of setbacks that I think might hinder me greatly in the process. First of all, I have some minor misdemeanors to my name - I was arrested for pool hopping in a public pool the summer after graduating high school, i got caught shoplifting sophomore year of college, and I'm bipolar. So, I'm wondering, is it worth it at all to even try? I'm seeing that the competition is pretty stiff and that the powers-that-be don't look kindly on misdemeanors of any kind.

There seems to be a pattern here. Much like the DUI thread, there are hundreds of Candidates with no such patterns.

Sorry, not everyone can be a Firefigher.

Forum Member

What is pool hopping?

How old are you now?
    Last edited by KB1OEV; 12-24-2009 at 07:19 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Unfortunately, I think your history would make it very difficult to get hired. If you really have the love for firefighting, consider volunteering. A lot of volunteer depts (at least in my area) don't have quite the extensive requirements that a career dept does. If these incidents have been a few years, they might be willing to look around those circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by David Ko View Post
    Well, I've been bouncing around the idea of being a firefighter in my head for a little while but I have a decent amount of setbacks that I think might hinder me greatly in the process. First of all, I have some minor misdemeanors to my name - I was arrested for pool hopping in a public pool the summer after graduating high school, i got caught shoplifting sophomore year of college, and I'm bipolar. So, I'm wondering, is it worth it at all to even try? I'm seeing that the competition is pretty stiff and that the powers-that-be don't look kindly on misdemeanors of any kind.

It is kind of late now for you to be thinking about a career as a firefighter with your pervious background.

Too many people applying for jobs with NO BAD BACKGROUND! Why should any department consider you with your bad boy stuff, when there are plenty of folks as clean as a new baby butt is and hasn't been in any type of trouble?

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Default Have a plan B

I would assume by you saying you are bi-polar that you have been diagnosed and are or have been on medication. As a general rule psych medís, even anti-depressants are a deal breaker.

Good Luck, Capt Rob

Forum Member

gotta agree with Rob; minor brushes with the law may be overcome with time and exemplary behavior, but a bi-polar diagnosis and resulting meds would probably preclude you from the fire service.
    Maybe a dispatcher?

Forum Member

I agree with all of the previous posters. You will have a long road ahead of you.
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Forum Member

Alright, I realize that the mistakes that I've made in the past were very detrimental to my chances. But if I tried out volunteering and enjoyed it to the degree that I made this my life goal, I got enough of a handle on my disorder to get off the meds, did a lot of volunteering in ways that helped the community out (as I'm doing now), got a degree in fire science in college, got an excellent score on the written and physical exam, and showed great psychological stability in the psych exam, would I have, say, a 50%-60% chance of getting hired?

As for the pool hopping, that's going swimming at a public pool after it's closed. This happened two years ago. I am 20 years old now.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by David Ko View Post
    But if I tried out volunteering and enjoyed it to the degree that I made this my life goal, I got enough of a handle on my disorder to get off the meds, did a lot of volunteering in ways that helped the community out (as I'm doing now), got a degree in fire science in college, got an excellent score on the written and physical exam, and showed great psychological stability in the psych exam, would I have, say, a 50%-60% chance of getting hired?
    There's a mighty big if in that statement. "getting a handle on my disorder" when referring to bipolar is not realistic. A true bipolar disorder isn't something you can usually just control through will power.
    I wish you luck.

As for the pool hopping, that's going swimming at a public pool after it's closed. This happened two years ago. I am 20 years old now.[/QUOTE]

We actually have a few guys that are bipolar on the job. That will not be that big of an issue, it is how you have dealt with it. In the recent past I see that you have not handled it well. Pool hopping, the summer after HS graduation I assume, is really harmless teenage rebellion, very few boards would hold that against you after a few years out of school. The shoplifting on the other hand would be pretty much a red flag at this point in time. Graduate college, get a real job for a few years to prove that you are a responsible member of society, keep your record and your credit clean; and in your mid-late twenties, if the desire is still there, apply for the job. Most likely the economy will be better and more departments will be hiring as well.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Thread Information