Forum Member

Default Trying to locate vintage Opticom emitter

Hello All:

I have recently purchased a '76 Seagrave pumper to use for parades, charity, and PAC functions with our IAFF Local. The pumper was refurbed in '99 and again recently with the warning package. I am now on a quest to try and find some vintage stuff to put back on it to make it more like it would have been in '76 if it were riding here in Memphis.

I have had good luck with everything except in finding an old Opticom emitter. In the 70's and 80's, Memphis used big, god aweful rectangular Opticom emitters that looked as if they had a PAR46 strobe that was 3/4 full with some kind of fluid to keep the strobe tube cool. So far, I can't even find a picture of one anywhere on the internet, let alone have any leads on an actual emitter.

If anyone knows where they may be a box of these obselete items, I would greatly appreciate it. A working emitter would be great, but non-working is nearly as good.

I can be contacted through here, yahoo at memphise34a@yahoo.com, or my cell number below. Thanks in advance for any info that can be provided!!
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

I did not know they had Opticom back then...I guess you learn something every day...

Permanently Removed

ME32a- Its a gamble, but I just might have exactly what you are looking for come mt way within a month. I will let you know when/if it does.

And here is a refenace picture below for the curious-

Forum Member

Bou,

I think there was an even older emitter than that!!, but that kind is better than none! Thanks for any help you can provide! Nice Crown by the way. The Seagrave I am gettting is coming from a small city north of L.A.......Castaic, Ca.

RK
    Last edited by MemphisE34a; 12-24-2009 at 02:42 PM.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

We're still using that model of transmitter on some of our engines here!!!
    FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mark440 View Post
    We're still using that model of transmitter on some of our engines here!!!

does the strobe bother the horses?

Permanently Removed

Quote Originally Posted by MemphisE34a View Post
    Bou,

I think there was an even older emitter than that!!, but that kind is better than none! Thanks for any help you can provide! Nice Crown by the way. The Seagrave I am gettting is coming from a small city north of L.A.......Castaic, Ca.

RK
    ME32A- I am prett sure those were the first generation Opticoms as that Crown is from the 70's-80's vintage.

Also- What Seagrave did you pic up? Ex-LAFD rig? Please post a picture. Thanks.

Forum Member

I have recently purchased a '76 Seagrave pumper to use for parades, charity, and PAC functions with our IAFF Local.
    Loot, if you need any help with finding parts, equipment, etc. give me a holler. Welcome to the Owners Club.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

Congrats on your purchase.....I too shall have a truck someday.

Welcome to SPAAMFAA!!!
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

Robert wasn't some of the older styles of the opticom incorporated into the light bar on the left side???

I looked at some of old stuff I had and all I saw was the new style and several like CALFFBOU had posted.

Did you look at Joe Norman's web site??

I did see one on a buckboard for the 2's old horse drawn steamer rig!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Permanently Removed

COT- Yes, some Opticom emitters have been built in the lightbar. I will find a picture and post.

Bou

Forum Member

This old Pirsch happen to have a double. Others had a one on the left side.
    Last edited by CaptOldTimer; 07-08-2011 at 01:53 PM.

Forum Member

A American La France with just the one.
    Last edited by CaptOldTimer; 07-08-2011 at 01:53 PM.

Permanently Removed

Next generation and its built into the lightbar-

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU View Post
    Next generation and its built into the lightbar-

A lot newer than those I posted!!

Forum Member

Cap,

Those are just clear cut outs in the old Whelen 8000 bars. They housed a 360 strobe on both ends and (4) inner PAR46 strobe bulbs - (2) forward facing and (2) rear facing. I beleive they were the first strobe bars available from Whelen and were only available in double flash.

Here is a pic of the rig I picked up. It is still in Castaic, Ca. Should be delivered soon after the holidays. I'll put some more pics up after I get it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by MemphisE34a; 12-24-2009 at 10:43 PM.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

MembersZone Subscriber

Wow Memphis....

That looks great! It's in great shape but then again, CA doesn't have salt and sand to create rust like we do in the northwoods here. Heck, it looks like it still should be a front line piece. I bet there are departments not too far from here that would love to have that truck as a front line truck and probably would be an upgrade to what they have now.

Great looking truck, I'm jealous.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post
    Wow Memphis....

That looks great! It's in great shape but then again, CA doesn't have salt and sand to create rust like we do in the northwoods here. Heck, it looks like it still should be a front line piece. I bet there are departments not too far from here that would love to have that truck as a front line truck and probably would be an upgrade to what they have now.

Great looking truck, I'm jealous.
    Thanks Dickey. The bonus is that it's a 5 speed with a splitter so the wife won't even be able to sit in the driver's seat!! lol

Hopefully it will be here in a week or so and it shouldn't take long to do most of the changes I want to do to it which will include replacing the LED bar with a restored Twinsonic, installing a Mars 888, replacing the rear warning lights with Federal model 14's, lettering it to our department, and installing the elusive Opticom emitter with some luck.

Hopefully it will go nicely with our Local functions and maybe I can get some tax breaks as well.......we'll see.

FWDbuff - thanks for the offer. I may have to take you up on that sometime!
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Forum Member

Awesome looking truck. Let me know if you need to offload that Whelen LED bar that is on there now.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post
    Wow Memphis....

That looks great! It's in great shape but then again, CA doesn't have salt and sand to create rust like we do in the northwoods here.
    Yeah, cause it's not like California is near any type of coastline. pfffft!
    IAFF

Permanently Removed

ME32A- I know that guy, he uses all of the same numbers on all of his trucks. I am sure that rig has been in a few movies and TV shows as well.

Please keep posting some pictures if you can. Thanks.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU View Post
    ME32A- I know that guy, he uses all of the same numbers on all of his trucks. I am sure that rig has been in a few movies and TV shows as well.

Please keep posting some pictures if you can. Thanks.
    I will........as long as you quit posting 32A!!! There is a big difference here between 32 and 34!!! =))
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Forum Member

Cap,

Those are just clear cut outs in the old Whelen 8000 bars. They housed a 360 strobe on both ends and (4) inner PAR46 strobe bulbs - (2) forward facing and (2) rear facing. I beleive they were the first strobe bars available from Whelen and were only available in double flash.

Agreed. My local police department used those bars for years and the white cutouts were for takedown lights. But i remember you could order them as halogen steady burn, flashers or strobes. You could also use different color lenses.

It's certainly possible that a department could retrofit two Opticom emmitters i guess?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    Nope! Blinders! hehe T.C.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    Actually, it send Old Henry into a seizure last night... damn strobes!
    FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH

Thread Information