Savage / Hyneman 08'

Default TNT Hydraulic rescue tools

I'm looking for opinions on TNT rescue tools, and how they may compare to Hurst. We currently use 3 sets of Hurst tools and are looking to upgrade 1 of these sets. In the interest of continued compatabilty we will either buy Hurst or TNT low pressure.

Now, I've been interested in TNT for a while. Many departments here in southeastern Wisconsin have purchased TNT and they do perform well in a demo. I'm looking for a deeper evaluation from departments who have had them long term. Do they hold up? Any maintenance issues? Do the pumps continue to perform?

I have also raised an eyebrow at some of the marketing tactics I have seen from TNT. One issue would be demonizing Hurst for the use of their synthetic fluid, making it sound like toxic waste while TNT uses the same fluid in their low pressure systems. ( Hurst compatable ) Things like this stick with me and make me not want to do business with a company. Trying to tell me about your competition and getting your facts wrong also turns me off.

But in the interests of getting the best tools for my dept I'm looking for any honest evaluation of TNT, compared to Hurst or not. Tools this expensive I don't consider a purchase but an investment in our departments ability to perform at our best. These tools will be here for a couple of decades, probably longer.

Also can anyone comment on TNT offering free replacement spreader tips and cutter blades for life? I would think that would get rather expensive over the life of the tool when replacement is being offered not just for broken blades but for any that won't shear a seatbelt like a pair of trauma shears would. I'm not sure what the TNT blades cost, but I just replaced a set on a 20+ year old Hurst JL-150 cutter at the cost of $350 each.

So please give me your facts. Good, bad, or otherwise to help us out.
    We do not rise to the occasion. We fall back to our level of training.

Forum Member

We were in the same situation in 2008 (4 sets of Hurst with no dealer in the area now). We tried all the major ones (Holmatro,TNT,Genesis,Amkus) Holmatro and TNT did well. Genesis wasn't bad but it was the connections got extremely hot during training and the salesman was a jerk about it and tried to blame it on what we were doing! Amkus failed to make several cuts and the salesman tried to tell us we didn't know how to perform an extrication, all the while he was trying to make the cuts his way. He failed so did Amkus! Holmatro was way more expensive. TNT was very affordable and we have an EXCELLENT dealer! We had a problem with our cutter the first week we had it, called the dealer and in 14 hours we had a replacement tool while ours was repaired. The only reason it took that long was he was on shift! We have had a couple of other issues including the fluid foaming up in one of the power units and they had a loaner to us ASAP and the issue was fixed. The ONLY bad things I have found is don't waste your money on the "accelarator switch" we got it and it we have found it tears the metal too much. It moves too fast for some people. And their electric power units only run two tools with a large amp draw. We love their multi-tool, we would rather use it than anything else. I personally had an o-ring blow in the demo unit and it still finished the cut while pouring fluid out of it. WE have a full set of our Truck Company, a multi-tool and ram on an engine, a full set of high-pressure bags, medium pressure bags and 2- 20 tons on each of our two engines. We are very happy with them.

MembersZone Subscriber

TNT is a decent tool.

The upside, when a dealer can stay in business, (we are on our 3rd dealer) they typically handle warranty claims well. TNT does stand by their lifetime warranty. They replaced a pump recently after at least 2 repair attempts.

The downside, tools are very heavy compared to other brands.

Thats about all I have to offer.

Forum Member

The only TNT I ever messed with just seemed WAY to heavy.

Savage / Hyneman 08'

Anyone have any experience with running 2 tools at once with a TNT pump?

They have a few that they claim runs 2 tools simultaneously with a single pump, and other that are a "true simo" that have 2 pumps, one for each tool.

Do they have the performance to run 2 tools from a power unit with only a single pump?
    We do not rise to the occasion. We fall back to our level of training.

Truckie

When we tested our tools, the holmatro and tnt came out on top. We picked the holmatro for many different reasons. 2 key where; 1) good dealer 2) we had a few sets already. We also liked the speed, power unit, and core tech hose. But with that said, both tools worked very well, and both ran 2 tools at the same time well.
    If your dealer that reps tnt is close, reputable, and quick to have replacement parts and tools, I don't think you could go wrong.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Forum Member

We have had TNT for at least 10 years now, and we have had nothing but good performance and good service. We recently had an issue with our old 10500 pump, and they replaced it FREE with a new Simo pump. We did upgrade to the accellerator pump and it makes our little cutter perform much better. We use the Simo mode and have no problems running two tools. They also exchanged our old model spreader for a newer version at no cost. There is a lot of Genesis around us here in SE Minnesota, but we will never give up our TNT. With anything, the dealer is the key. TNT's bigger cutters are heavy, but you can cut almost the same amount with a smaller cutter/ acc pump than the big cutter. Very Happy with our TNT!!!

Forum Member

Default Be careful

I have been a long time "watcher" of these forums but decided to add my first "2 cents" when I saw this question.

We just went through this whole evaluation thing you're involved in. Good luck. Its a lot to take in. Here's what we did find out from TNT: The Indiana guy who was there told us flat out that the new single coupling didnt work well at 100' and thats why they are not being delivered- but then proceeded to tell our Chief if we picked them, they'd be able to deliver with no issues. Hmmm? That new cutter; although it boasted high cutting force (and weight I might add), they were reluctant to give us NFPA cutter level ratings. On research, we did get the numbers (although they didnt look to be legitimately prepared) and they were WAY less than the other cutters we looked at with LOWER cutting forces. Hmmm? Odd. Then, we came to find out through more research that a few of their tools had "failed." We asked our rep about it- he said "that never happened, they were fabricated stories." Then we showed him pictures of the tools that had the problems (easily found on line)- he turned several shades of red, then vanished into the night.

I'm not bashing, I would just say do you homework. They seem to be a little deceptive. Our neighboring department actually had similar experiences with them. I'm not even going to disclose who we ended up with because that wasnt the question you were asking, but I can say it was one of the brands that you decided not to go with (and we are happier than we can even describe). Good luck- happy holidays!

Forum Member

Default Rescue Chief

My company has recently purchased a Champion Beast, and a ResQTec G6W cutter to replace our elderly Hurst Tools. Both tools work great and the crews using them are like kids on Christmas day.

Forum Member

Default This is why I dont reply or participate in forums

Quote Originally Posted by valley3 View Post
    My company has recently purchased a Champion Beast, and a ResQTec G6W cutter to replace our elderly Hurst Tools. Both tools work great and the crews using them are like kids on Christmas day.
    ...this is exactly what I mean. WHO CARES what you bought- this guy was asking about TNT. He made NO mention of the Champion nor Rescue tech tool. That would be like someone asking- "whats you favorite kind of pizza?" and someone replies- "I love to eat watermelon" What the hell?

Forum Member

my suggestion would be set up two multiple scenarios. these scenarios should consist of identical vehicles and such.

then attempt procedures with both the TNT and Hurst.

evaluating the tools side by side doing the same procedure (cutting/spreading) on identical material will provide you with the sufficient data/info you need to make a informed decision.

I along with probably many others here have our personal favorites or beliefs into what we think are the best, but I think all it would create in the end is a heated discussion..lol

I would also like to add that you use a few heavy commercial vehicles. I have personally seen some tools not perform as well as other manufactures when it comes to heavy cutting operations

Forum Member

My dept has used a TNT unit for about 5 years now. On our system you can run two tools at once, this is a huge time saver and works well. We never have had any problems with any of the tools breaking or failing to operate to level we expect. I think TNT makes good tools and I would recommend them. Biggest problem with the tool that we have had in the past was the unit flipping over and spilling hydrolic fluid everywhere in the compartment due to the pump being top heavy, but a few adjustments and some fabrication and now that problem has been corrected.

Thread Information