Early morning house fire in American Fork causes $50,000 damage
StoryDiscussionDaily Herald | Posted: Friday, December 25, 2009 12:00 am | No Comments Posted

Font Sizeefault font sizeLarger font sizeAn American Fork family escaped injury Christmas Eve morning as they were awakened around 2 a.m. by a smoke detector. They were able to get out of their two-story home as a fire spread across the upper level, but the blaze caused an estimated $50,000 damage.

Fire Chief Kriss Garcia credited the smoke detector with saving their lives.

"The way it was consuming the building, they wouldn't have gotten out," he said of the two adults. He said it appeared the cause of the fire was related to a fireplace.

The home, on the community's southwest side, sustained the most damage on the second floor.

"It burned out the second story of the house," Garcia said. Their Christmas tree, with presents under it, was on the first floor, and was not damaged.

He credited the fire department for minimizing the loss.

"These guys did such a good job," he said. "I have never seen it done any better. In 10 minutes, the fire was out."