MembersZone Subscriber

Default Sitting here GRINNING!!!

Wow! You must really be Gung-Ho. This morning here in The Great Buffalo Swamp, I woke up to 6 degrees. Just put the coffee on and threw some more logs on the fire. Wisconsin has to be at least as cold as Northern Pa. Yeah, maybe 30 years ago I would have got dressed and took and engine out to draft. Now I only go when the tones drop, or when I can avoid freezing an ice cube on the end of my private parts. Suggestion for using the front suction when filling tankers. If you have a gate between the pump and the front suction, drop a portable tank in front of the drafting engine and fill it with the recirculating line while waiting for the tanker shuttle. Then after the hook-up take water from both the drop tank and the dry hydrant. Try to get your fill rates up to 1500 gpm. A tanker shuttle can only be improved at the fill or dump site. Driving fast to make up time usually results in an accident. Word of caution... Fill that fast only if you have a large vent or a reliable way of knowing when you are almost full so you can cut back on the fill rate. 8" vent needs 0.61 psi to flow 1500 gpm and a 6" vent needs 1.93 psi to flow the 1500 gpm. A 6' by 12' lid on a tank will see a force of 20,000 lbs with a 6" vent and an 8" vent will see 6,324 lbs trying to blow the top off the tank.
    Last edited by KuhShise; 12-29-2009 at 09:30 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by fordrules View Post
    Thanks for the replies everyone. Found out that the chief has a pitot gauge, so I took a new member out today, and we took the pitot gauge and flow tested one of our dry hydrants. We were able to get about 1000gpm out of it using the 6" side suction on the pump panel. I am trying to get a few bodies together so I can get a tanker and a drop tank and flow test the front suction. I will post results when I obtain them.
    Good test. Remember, a dry hydrant is simply an extension of your suction hose. Best water flow results when drafting are always the shortest hose, least lift and direct to pump connection. Try to compare the dry hydrant flow from front suction and side suction, youll see a difference.

Another interesting point that fyredup can chime in about....They installed dual dry hydrants to actually allow their 2000 GPM pump the ability to acheive its capacity (or closer to) rather than one. Remember, a single dry hydrant is a long single suction line, if the pump was rated with 2 draft lines it needs 2 dry hydrants (with good piping configurations) to get its capacity at draft.

Kuhshise...good point about a drop tank at tanker fill site...Im loving that idea!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MG3610 View Post
    Another interesting point that fyredup can chime in about....They installed dual dry hydrants to actually allow their 2000 GPM pump the ability to acheive its capacity (or closer to) rather than one. Remember, a single dry hydrant is a long single suction line, if the pump was rated with 2 draft lines it needs 2 dry hydrants (with good piping configurations) to get its capacity at draft.

Kuhshise...good point about a drop tank at tanker fill site...Im loving that idea!!
    Good idea. One of our stations has a fillsite pond behind it with 2 dry hydrants. Will have to give that one a try too. Kuh Shise, I like the drop tank idea. Will definitley have to try that one too. And, yes, it was cold here today. One degree out when I woke up for work. But after getting all these ideas I just can't wait till warm weather shows up. Besides, my buddies are just as gung ho as me!
    Last edited by fordrules; 12-29-2009 at 10:09 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Thanks All

Thank you all who replied to my questions. We took the truck out and flow tested the front suction from a drop tank. We were able to get about 1000 gpms. Now I know what I'm working with.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by fordrules View Post
    Thank you all who replied to my questions. We took the truck out and flow tested the front suction from a drop tank. We were able to get about 1000 gpms. Now I know what I'm working with.
    Good stuff. Keep bringing us more of your expierences and questions. Keeps it lively here!

Thread Information