Forum Member

Default Getting Fitted for your Turnout Gear

Im curious how your departments fit their Firefighters for their gear?...I work for a bigger city, However when our firefighters are issued gear at the begining of the acadamy they go to a central city warehouse where the gear is basically just passed out by the warehouse staff who know nothing about properly fitting gear, they just pass out what looks like will fit. My problem with this is guys/girls who get issued this gear that have no previous experiance with the fire service have no idea how their gear is suppose to fit them and I have seen more and more being fitted and using the wrong size gear. With coats being way to short or pants being 2 or 3 sizes to big and long...So does your department:

1. Have a proffessional custom fit individuals.
    2. Have the Manufactuer fit individuals.
    3. Leave it up to the individual Firefighters.
    4. Just pass out whatever sizes they have on hand.

Also, for the bigger city departments(20 or more firehouses) How many sets of turnouts are issued at a time or issed out of the Acadamy?

MembersZone Subscriber

When we order new gear, the Manufacture fits individuals. When someone joins in between periods of ordering new gear, we hand out what is on hand. If we do not have any used gear that fits, we will order new gear for the guy. As it stands now, every FF has two complete sets of gear.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

MembersZone Subscriber

As part of the hiring process, you go to our safety office and get fitted. (Safety office is a chief and maybe 3 lts., not sure exactly what qualifications, i.e., trained by mfg. or just experience, but they do a good job anyway.) They'll ask what size you think you are/what size suit you wear, etc. and have you try on that, then adjust as needed. We have several generic sets in almost any size you could need, so they can immediately have us try on the next size.

For the academy, we wear these generics until our real gear is issued. We go through EMT training as our first part of academy, so IIRC the new gear is pretty much ready by the time we do fire training. If not, we don't do live fires until a couple weeks in, worst case scenario you use that generic set that the safety office deems good for burn training.

Issued two sets of gear (coat/pant/gloves/hood), one set boots, one helmet.
    Opinions expressed are mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect those of the Philadelphia Fire Department and/or IAFF Local 22.

Thread Information