Thread: Writing Grants

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Writing Grants

I've done some research on the internet about it, but I'm trying to do all of my homework before taking on the task. If anybody has any good information, good sites, good training programs, etc. that would benefit, i would be greatly appreciated. Also, if anybody knows any sites that lists grants that are available, it would also be greatly appreciated. Either pm me, post it here or e-mail me at Spud-X@mailcity.com
    Thank you very much.

Forum Member

Best advice I can give- FIND A WORKSHOP. So many misconceptions about grants float around that can be aleviated by an hour chat with someone from FEMA who knows what they are talking about.

Other than that, start here: http://www.firegrantsupport.com/afg/
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by WaffleHut View Post
    I've done some research on the internet about it, but I'm trying to do all of my homework before taking on the task. If anybody has any good information, good sites, good training programs, etc. that would benefit, i would be greatly appreciated. Also, if anybody knows any sites that lists grants that are available, it would also be greatly appreciated. Either pm me, post it here or e-mail me at Spud-X@mailcity.com
    Thank you very much.
    One of the very best resources you will find, is right here on this forum:

http://www.firehouse.com/forums/foru...ysprune=&f=355

Some of the most successful grant writers in the country for AFG FP&S,& SAFER are frequent visitors. You should also consider attending a seminar put on by either Kurt Bradley or Brian BC79. They train to go after many different types of grants besides AFG. Between them their students have won tens of millions of $$$$ in grants. The low cost of their seminars will be re-payed tenfold with learning how to write a solid competitive grant application.

Forum Member

At my old department, my A.C. had a lady write our grants for us. She actually did FEMA stuff, and I believe reviewed other types of grants, so needless to say she was great at it. We never had her write a grant that we didn't end up getting, and for a smaller department, we saw a good chunk of $$ because of her..... PM me if you'd like and I'll try to get you in contact

Banned

My advice is to read the guidance, then read it again, and read it as many times as needed to be able to explain the document to someone else. Then, when writing the request identify a single problem or issue; DON'T DO A WISH LIST!!!!. Then use good writing style to include proper English, grammar, sentence structure, and paragraph structure. The narrative should include and introduction, problem statement, solution, financial need, benefit, and conclusion.

After yo write it get someone with good reading and writing skills to go over the narrative. It helps if they understand the nature of the request but isn't necessary. Also have someone who knows the business review the request. In fact the more reviewers and comments the better. In the past I have written successful grants and asked for reviews, All Chiefs, commissioners, etc were asked to review it. Those that would reply would give me "looks good". Then when award time would come, I would get things like "Why did you put in for two of these?" Wrong time to ask fellows. Once you get the award you buy what you said you would in the request.

Thread Information