Forum Member

Default Titanium halligan bars

I need some feedback on the titanium halligans on the market. We have been field testing one. Its SUPER expensive but rediculously lightweight. I think what we are finding is it is too light- doesnt have any "balls" for lack of better terms. Anyone out there using them? What are your Pros and Cons?

Forum Member

I do not use a Titanium Halligan but i have used a Titanium crowbar and what you are saying about the weight i find to be true as well. Lightweight is a great thing from a carrying standpoint. But when it's in use, the heavier the better. You are not always going to have somebody standing next to you with a sledge or axe. Many situations will end up with a FF with a Halligan only. And when it's just you and a Halligan, lightweight is a BAD idea.

When it comes to driving the claw into a door jamb or other tight space, that weight of the bar is critical. The same goes for breaching a wall. Imagine trying to break through a cinder block wall with a super lightweight Halligan? The heavier the better. That weight will do much of the work for you through inertia. Imagine a full size axe that weighed 2 pounds?. You would be exhausted from having to swing it twice as hard. Sure, it would be a pleasure to carry around, right up untill you go to use it. Then the lightweight would be a huge drawback.

While a Halligan's primary use is not as tool that is swung or used as a ram, it still will find itself in that roll at times. Especially when it's used without a sledge or axe. With that in mind, i would NOT want a lightweight version. Maybe having one for special circumstances might be a plus, but not for everyday use. Give me a heavy steel Halligan any day.

Forum Member

Like WD said. You want the tool to do the work, not you.
    Courage, Being Scared to Death and Saddling Up anyways.

Thread Information