Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default tips for starting back up a junior firefighter program

As i reacently became a payed member of my dept. my fire cheif has placed me incharge of geting the junior firefighter program started again. the officers at the dept. say that my class was the last good class to go threw and our leader retired so its gone downhill quick 5 leaders in 4 months. so here is the deal I want to start from scrach. so if anyone can send me anything I would much appriciate it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forum Member

First - Make sure they know they are still kids and not adults. There is a lot they will not get to do and they should not get their feelings hurt if they cannot do something. I have found the young ones nowadays want to show you they know everything more so than when we were kids. If I would have done what some of the juniors do today I would have got knocked down a few pegs. In other words be quiet and listen, at the start they should understand they know nothing but the knowledge will come in time

Second - Be sure all of the learning material is available to them.

Third - Have special sections in SOGs for juniors and make sure they know it front to back and abide by it to the T. They should be able to recite it just about word for word.

Fourth - NO POV LIGHTS, SIRENS, TOOLS etc.

Fifth - Make them a part of everything, Think back to when you were a junior, what made you be a good junior/member, can you provide the same for them.

Sixth - probably the toughest, parents, make sure the parents understand the program, they need not stick their noses into the practices of the FD, make sure that if they can not trust and leave their child in the capable hands of the men and women who are educating their child then their child should not be there. They need to understand that positive results could only come from not interfering. They will probably notice an increase in self esteem, confidence and discipline from their child if they give it time and have faith. The parents need to understand that the FD is not a daycare, yes there is fun an sometimes goofing off, but the primary mission is to learn, serve and do a lot of hardwork. Be sure to invite the parents to observe any traiing session but advise them to let the instructors to teach the class without their interferance.

Seventh - Good school grades are a must. Report cards should be turned in. bad grades should not be rewarded and they should be limited to only drills if all class grades are not a C or better. But be sure time is given to help them if they are struggling in a class. After all we are their to educate them. If we show them the importance of good grades then they may also see it as well.

Last - Make sure that the juniors know trust and respect is not given it is earned! Razzing and ordering is part of being a firefighter and more especially a junior. The sooner they learn this and accept it, as you probably did, the sooner they will get trust and respect.

Quote Originally Posted by missouri redhead View Post
    As i reacently became a payed member of my dept. my fire cheif has placed me incharge of geting the junior firefighter program started again. the officers at the dept. say that my class was the last good class to go threw and our leader retired so its gone downhill quick 5 leaders in 4 months. so here is the deal I want to start from scrach. so if anyone can send me anything I would much appriciate it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    No offense, but if you graduated from high school, you need to go back, tear up your diploma and throw the pieces in the administrator's face, and then proceed to kick all of your english composition teachers square in the seat of their pants. If you plan on writing documents about the program for the parents or the junior firefighters themselves; or if you plan on writing reports on the program to submit to the Fire Chief, please, for the love of God, have someone proof read before submission!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

I believe the Boy Scouts officially run most Fire Explorer programs. Contact them and determine if yours was one of them and if not, how do you become one. Then use their program as a foundation and build from there.

Forum Member

Those English teachers got " payed" too much in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by zzyyzx View Post
    I believe the Boy Scouts officially run most Fire Explorer programs. Contact them and determine if yours was one of them and if not, how do you become one. Then use their program as a foundation and build from there.
    The BSA is who you should contact if you are wanting to start an explorer post or a venturing crew. My department has it's own program separate from the BSA. BSA tends to be much more strict in what jr members are allowed to do and what fundraisers they can do due to insurance and whatever their fundraising rules are.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool Learning for Life

Learning for Life is it's own inti-tee. They are independant of the BSA since I can't recall how many 10,000s of Members they currently have.

I am our Explorer Post Advisor and will send you a copy of our SOP if you're interested. Just send me a PM and I'll send it to ya.

Also, advertise advertise advertise.....
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

Quote Originally Posted by missouri redhead View Post
    what is your email? I can send you the rules and reggulations for the post I am in. we allso have a check off sheet to do before we can ride on the trucks and we have to be signed off by a level 1 fire instructor.

First of all, don't look at the explorer post as a way to get kids ready for a job they think they might want to do. Make it more about morals, hard-work, ethics, and things that will apply in any type of work they do. Make it less about being good firefighters and more about being a good person. Anybody can be a good firefighter with some classes and training. Not everybody can be a good firefighter and a good person. The age that most of the kids are when they start is about the last chance somebody has to influence them and their behavior.

Second, in the pursuit of making good young men (and women) grades are a must. You want a good representation of your department, and set high standards. The way I would do it is maintain at least C's for each member. For more intellecutally gifted members I would maintain a higher stander. For example, if a student has a 3.00 GPA, make them earn at least a 2.75 or so GPA each grading period to hold good standards of your young men.

Third, Behavior. Have all behavior problems brought to your attention by both the school, and the criminal justice system. Bad behavior shouldn't be tolerated to any extent. Form punishments for eahc infraction like first offense, second offense, etc.

Last, Ride-along stuff. Explorers/jrs shouldn't be riding first due rigs. No need for a 15 year old kid to be in danger like that, and frankly they get in the way. If they are given permission to ride chief's vehicles, tankers, or other vehicles. I don't think they should be issued pagers, if they drive by the station and a call is going on they can help out from there. They don't need to be responding to the station on the tones and getting out of control. Also I wouldn't give ride-along priveliges until they have a drivers license, and speeding tickets shouldn't be tolerated. If caught speeding privileges should be removed.

All in all, make it more about character than firefighting.

Forum Member

could you send me that to i ould like more info one starting up ours again

Quote Originally Posted by cerberus909 View Post
    could you send me that to i ould like more info one starting up ours again
    are you asking me to send you stuff or some one else?

Im kind of in the same situation of trying to build our membership back up for our Juniors program. What kind of things are others doing out there to bring kids into the program? In the past its always been FF kids and their friends, however we only have one kid in that age group and hes found no one interested, thanks.

Forum Member Explorer Asst Chief Fern's Avatar

Most schools will let a few members of your department come in to do an assembly for the students. I reccomend putting together either a slide show of what your explorers do, or making a "commercial" to show. Bring in some gear to display, and hand out fliers to everyone (they won't remember all of the contact names and phone numbers, that is why fliers are so important). Also have a substantial amount of explorer applications available for those who are ready to fill one out!

GOOD LUCK
    Explorer Assistant Chief Alisha Fern

Leadership: The ability to guide, direct, and influence others.

Leadership can be thought of as a capacity to define oneself to others in a way that clarifies and expands a vision of the future.

alisha.fern@firehousemail.com

Thread Information