Forum Member

Cool This is Overkill...

http://www.firerescue1.com/fire-prod...ation-Grabber/

I'm just curious on your guy's views on whether or not this is needed, or just overkill. 1.5M for a population of just over 100,000 people???

I'm thinking someone is looking for bragging rights, and to heck with getting stuff the FD could actually use with that kind of money. Grant or not.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

MembersZone Subscriber

Yes, it is rather large, But I heard that this is a regional response truck.

Forum Member

FIREMECH1,

In the article it said the truck was funded through bonds not grants. It will also be replacing two trucks but it is still a lot of money. According to the article it will be a regional truck and I don't know how spread out that area of Texas is. It might be similar to Omaha/Council Bluffs/Bellvue or then again it may be like Grand Island/Kearney/Hastings.

I know that the bean counters look real hard at the amount we have bonded and when it will be paid off before they even talk about another emergency services type bond due to the limits imposed. Texas might be different.

While it may seem like overkill to us it falls right back to what a lot of us preach in these discussions. If it works for you then use it. I can think of other things I'd use $1.5 million for but our community also doesn't have need for something like that vehicle. It sure would be nice to add on to Station 2 and get a Sutphen SPH100 though.

Walt.
    Train like you want to fight.
    www.kvfd.net

MembersZone Subscriber

Remember, Everything is bigger in Texas!

Forum Member

Default Wow!

The manufacturer thanks you very much!

Forum Member

Talking

If the taxpayers can afford to fund it more power to them.
    According to wickepedia Frisco is one of the fastest growing wealthy bedroom communities' in the state, with a median property value of $285,000.
    According to a 2007 estimate, the median income for a household in the city was $93,478,
    Do they really need it ??? not up to us to justify.

Forum Member

Although the command truck was purchased by Frisco through bonding, Siebert said the community regards it as a regional resource. The department covers a 70-square-mile area with a population of 103,000 north of Dallas-Fort Worth with about 150 firefighters and six stations. The department operates six frontline engines, three reserve engines and two ladder companies.

The new command truck, according to Siebert, is certain to be used at about 10 large local events a year, a number of them at Pizza Hut Park, a major league soccer stadium that seats 21,000 for games and about 30,000 for concerts. At those events, he said, it will replace two vehicles that were used by police and fire officials.
    In addition, Siebert said, the new command-communications vehicle may be deployed outside Frisco through the Texas statewide mutual aid system for events and emergencies, such as hurricanes and wildfires.
    "We've already had folks from the state operations center and from the Texas Forestry Service look through the truck and express some interest to determine its availability and usability," he said.
    Sometimes you have to look past just what is on the surface...
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

I do believe in the point of buying what you need. But REALLY, is it needed???

I understand the tech side of what went into this thing, and the capabilities of it. But in reality, how many times in its life, will it shine, or be used to its full potential, much less than half.

For its intent and purpose, it gets a thumbs up. As to being practicable, it gets a thumbs down.

I also should have titled this differently.... " Is this Overkill ".

FM1

"Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Forum Member

Maybe the folks at the 20,000 seat soccer stadium are paying enough tax to think it's warranted at their events. who knows???

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
    I understand the tech side of what went into this thing, and the capabilities of it. But in reality, how many times in its life, will it shine, or be used to its full potential, much less than half.
    FM1
    Depending on call volume and area we all operate in the same could be said for most engines and ladders. They go on a lot of runs but how many times in the life of that vehicle do we use it to it's full potential? Like I said, this depends on your situation but most of us could probably agree that it is only about a quarter of the calls, for the most part, that those apparatus run in their life span. A we have them configured the way we do because when we need those capabilities we need them and right now.

Just my thoughts,
    Walt
    Train like you want to fight.
    www.kvfd.net

Forum Member

Cool rig, it's quite the beast

MembersZone Subscriber

If they have a major incident (tornado comes to mind, might even be close enough to respond to hurricanes on the Texas coast) where this is used, it'll make it worth it's while. I would have loved to have had even a basic version of that thing at the several disaster incidents I've been involved with.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
    I do believe in the point of buying what you need. But REALLY, is it needed???

For its intent and purpose, it gets a thumbs up. As to being practicable, it gets a thumbs down.

I also should have titled this differently.... " Is this Overkill ".

FM1
    It is overkill until it is really needed, then hopefully it will be somewhere between adequate and enough.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by islandfire03 View Post
    If the taxpayers can afford to fund it more power to them.
    According to wickepedia Frisco is one of the fastest growing wealthy bedroom communities' in the state, with a median property value of $285,000.
    According to a 2007 estimate, the median income for a household in the city was $93,478,
    Do they really need it ??? not up to us to justify.
    Putting aside the question of need or extravagance.

Bonds are borrowed money, money that has to be repaid by the residents of Frisco; with interest I might add. If Frisco is so financially secure, it makes me wonder why they must finance the purchase.

C6

Forum Member

Just for FYI....Frisco is just on the northside of Dallas and is part of that mass metroplex. I am sure they will have close mutual aid with the many Dallas/Forth Worth agencies, plus that area is prone to large wildfires so it should come in handy.
    Puttin the wet stuff on the red stuff!

Forum Member

Not meaning to throw a wrench (pun intended) into the works, but....

What is the thought/process about command, manpower, and all the other intangibles that it will take to use this thing???

I would really like to see what they have for SOP/SOG's on this rig. It could be some very interesting reading.

On a side note: I could see where we might be able to use the rig locally. We have the College World Series where there are close to 30,000 fans in the seats, and another 10,000 in the area. As well, sporting events and Olympic trials here that could use it for security purposes. We are also in Tornado alley, and blizzard central (this year at least 2 to date).

FM1

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Command6 View Post
    Putting aside the question of need or extravagance.

Bonds are borrowed money, money that has to be repaid by the residents of Frisco; with interest I might add. If Frisco is so financially secure, it makes me wonder why they must finance the purchase.

C6
    I guess you know of a few departments who pay cash for 1.5 million dollar vehicles?
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Money is cheap right now.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    I guess you know of a few departments who pay cash for 1.5 million dollar vehicles?
    Yes, I know of several fire departments who pay cash for their apparatus.

No, I don't know of many fire departments who purchase $1.5 million apparatus;

but then the amortization costs of the vehicle in question are closer to $1.9-$2.1 depending on the bond terms.

C6
    Last edited by Command6; 12-30-2009 at 07:32 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I only have to justify what is purchased in my community not someone else's rig.
    Am I Jealous ? not of this rig not my style
    Now if it was a 1.5 million dollar Heavy i would be drooling all over my key board ;-)

Forum Member

I seem to recal being chastized questioning why a suburban volunteer house would spend over $1m for a Tiller.

I think this command and control rig is just right maybe a tad big, but I would guess it will be used as a reginal/state asset and not just for th eservice at hand. to that extent was there any state or federal grants used for this?

Forum Member

Default Reality!

This vehicle may respond a couple of times during it's lifetime and I'm sure it will be used to it's full potential a few times (doubt it!).

More than likely it will be at a scene filled with white shirts eating their McDonalds while the blue shirts are doing all the work!

But the reality is, and we all know it, it's going to be used for display at the local County Fair so we can watch the game on ESPN!

C'mon, let's have some fun! Can anyone else come up with some good uses for this vehicle?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Command Center

While I think the cost of this particular rig is excessive, I can see the need for counties along the Gulf Coast, the Atlantic Outer Banks and much of Florida to have some type of command vehicle to deal with the fairly regular Hurricanes they experiance.

Thread Information