Forum Member

Default Rescue tools, how have you obtained quotes?

Our (hopefully pending) award for rescue tools was based on individual items in the Request Details section of the application. So we have individual dollars identified for each specific component, ie spreader $6500, hoses $1000, etc. When I go out for quotes for the tools, can I just combine all the tools as a package, (cutter, spreader, hose, power unit, etc) and ask for quotes or do they have to be individually bid as I laid out in the Request Details? I am thinking I may be able to save a couple hundred in one tool, spend it on another tool in the package in case my preliminary quotes were off.

Another thought is if I have $30,000 in total tools awarded can I ask for quotes for items on a $30k package and see who can fill that package with the most goodies for the money, again trying to get the best bang for the buck as long as my identified items are included?

Thoughts anyone?

MembersZone Subscriber

We were awarded rescue tools last year and I had specified it the same way (price per item). I did have them specify the price of each tool and everything worked out fine. Most vendors will work with you if you have an issue with one item being more than budgeted for.

You will want to stick with one brand of course so it doesn't leave you many options like purchasing other equipment would. One problem I ran into was many vendors would not bid on tools for our "area" because another vendor was responsible for that "area".

MembersZone Subscriber

Hinesfire,

You must purchase all items specified in your request details before purchasing other items with your excess funds. AFG will not reimburse for items not in your request details until the scope of your grant has been met. Therefore, including extra items in your initial quote would not be a good thing to do....Buy what's in the grant, then go back and get quotes for other items you would like to buy with excess funds.....Good luck!!! Hope ya get it!!

Oh and you can get a set of low pressure bags for under $5000. ; )

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by hinesfire View Post
    Our (hopefully pending) award for rescue tools was based on individual items in the Request Details section of the application. So we have individual dollars identified for each specific component, ie spreader $6500, hoses $1000, etc. When I go out for quotes for the tools, can I just combine all the tools as a package, (cutter, spreader, hose, power unit, etc) and ask for quotes or do they have to be individually bid as I laid out in the Request Details? I am thinking I may be able to save a couple hundred in one tool, spend it on another tool in the package in case my preliminary quotes were off.

Another thought is if I have $30,000 in total tools awarded can I ask for quotes for items on a $30k package and see who can fill that package with the most goodies for the money, again trying to get the best bang for the buck as long as my identified items are included?

Thoughts anyone?
    Jonathan give me a call at 863-551-9598 and I will discuss that with you.
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

We received an award for rescue tools last year, AFG added up the numbers and awarded us a not to exceed budget. Their exact words where, "we have given you $xx,xxx to acquire the listed tools and any "related" items as a rescue tool package." "You must purchase all items listed within your budget summary"

Thread Information