+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... Last
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default "Big Sis" is a bumbling boob

After the babbling, barely literate performance given by our DHS Secretary over the weekend ("Big Sis"), am I the only one with absolutely no confidence in her ability to lead an agency so vital to our safety?

And yes, I felt safe with Chertoff.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Forum Member

Janet Napolitano also ruled that the FBI and CIA had no reason to talk to each other which resulted in knowledge about a planned terrorist plot against the United States not being communicated between the agencies in early 2001.I wonder how that idea panned out.
    And THEN she was given a spot on the Sept 11 Inquiry.Can you say "conflict of interest"?
    I notice that the Dec 25 terrorist ignited fire on a plane wasn't important enough for our fearless "leader" to come back to work from his vacation.Imagine George W Bush staying out of the limelight after such an incident on his watch.

MembersZone Subscriber

Don't forget that Big Sis used her position on the 9/11 Commission to make sure the ruling you mentioned was not prominently discussed in the Commission report.

And your comments about Pres. Bush are dead on.

MembersZone Subscriber

But don't worry. We'll all be safer now that we can't move around or use equipment or blankets on certain parts of flights.

from New Restrictions Quickly Added for Air Passengers
    passengers on international flights coming to the United States will apparently have to remain in their seats for the last hour of a flight without any personal items on their laps.
    HTF is that going to help?!

Also, George maybe you can answer this, but if this guy had PETN in his underware how come it wasn't picked up through security. Last time I went through airport security they "swabbed" my bags and stuff looking for residue.
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

MembersZone Subscriber

I travel alot and I have only had my bags swabbed once. That said, I have not read anywhere where this guy even had luggage.

There are screening tools that exist that can pick this stuff up. That is the full body x-ray scanners that the civil rights morons are screaming about now. From what I understand about them, they would have absoutely detected this substance.

I have no doubt, however, that these guys have done their homework and have identified the weaknesses in the system.

I see absolutely no way to stop this problem short of strip searching every single solitary person from the middle east who gets on an airplane. Extreme? Maybe. But if the thousands of middle easterners who have no intention of harming Americans are inconvenienced and embarrassed, perhaps they will start cooperating and help us win the war.

If they hate us more, no problem. Sell your gas stations, convenience stores and Dunkin Donut franchises to Americans who have lost their jobs and GET THE HELL OUT! I have about had it. Unfortunately, it will take hundreds more lives lost to get people back to where they were on 9/12/2001 and realize that this war has not ended and will not end until we decisively WIN the war.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    I travel alot and I have only had my bags swabbed once. That said, I have not read anywhere where this guy even had luggage.
    I've had my bags swabbed a few times, mostly at smaller airports. I've also been swabbed myself.. if I remember right it was just the hands. I also thought there was something similar they could add to an Xray kiosk that used an updraft to detect residue as people were walking through. Wouldn't a bomb dog also work?

As you said, the enemy is adapting to weaknesses in the system. Profiling probably wouldn't help.. they'd adapt to that too. Looking for well-educated Muslim men from Somalia? They'll recruit white grandmothers from Alberta.. granted that's harder since that group isn't as radical.. but not impossible.

the TSA/DHS..etc need to do a better job of finding security policies and procedures that 1) actually make us safe, 2) do so without ****ing off all the passengers. Right now neither is true.

Oh, and it's general a bad idea to give your enemy a PR boost by coming out and saying things like "That was the real deal" and "wow, that was close".. tends to give them what they want, media coverage and visible disruption of routines.
    -3dd

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by voyager9 View Post
    I've had my bags swabbed a few times, mostly at smaller airports. I've also been swabbed myself.. if I remember right it was just the hands. I also thought there was something similar they could add to an Xray kiosk that used an updraft to detect residue as people were walking through. Wouldn't a bomb dog also work?
    Found the answer to my own questions here
    Security experts said airport "puffer" machines that blow air on a passenger to collect and analyze residues would probably have detected the powder, as would bomb-sniffing dogs or a hands-on search using a swab. Most passengers in airports only go through magnetometers, which detect metal rather than explosives.
    -3dd

Banned

I don't know the answer to this question. But the flight originated in Amsterdam with a destination of the U.S.. Does the TSA search passengers boarding a plane in a foreign nation? I checked out the TSA web site and only found references to U.S. airports. I'm pretty sure the U.S. agents aren't checking international flights inbound until they are on the ground. That being the case, it wasn't our security that failed.

I do however find it interesting that this guys father fore warned government officials about his son. Had this been successful we would have had another 9/11 situation where warnings went unheeded.

My question is why did we have to have a near miss to increase security. That should be the SOP. I do remember when Bush increased security and the Dumbocrats were crying and complaining. Suddenly, it isn't a big deal. Hypocrites!!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by voyager9 View Post
    Found the answer to my own questions here
    Yeah, I saw something about that. I understand it that these machines are high maintenance and have problems as they get clogged all the time.

MembersZone Subscriber

I think that Napolitano and Mr. Obama are doing a super duper bang up of a great job. I have never felt more secure in my life. I believe that the only way that we could improve matters any, would be to sit down with the freedom fighters and tell them that we are truly sorry for any mistreatment that we as a county might done to them Maybe we should ask for them for their forgiveness and then tell them how they have hurt our feelings. Then maybe we can clear up this slight misunderstanding.

Im kidding. These dumdarses are going to get us all killed, and this is the change that we can believe in.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

MembersZone Subscriber

Wasn't this guy black? So I guess we start strip-searching all black people and people who look middle eastern. That will keep us all safe.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Firetacoma1 View Post
    Wasn't this guy black? So I guess we start strip-searching all black people and people who look middle eastern. That will keep us all safe.
    I never said to strip people because of their race. I said to strip search all people getting on an airplane who are middle eastern. I don't care what color they are or what they look like.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BULL321 View Post
    Im kidding. These dumdarses are going to get us all killed, and this is the change that we can believe in.
    Yeah, and lets send all of those wild and crazy guys from Yemen right back home. We need to give them a fighting shot at getting it right.

Can't wait to see the approval ratings next week.

Today the announced that Pres. Obama left the golf course and rushed home because a friend of one if his kids got hurt on the beach. But a terrorist attempts to blow up a plane with 250 people on board? FORE!!!

Forum Member

More puzzling is why you're not equally outraged over the blocking of key appointments and funding mechanisms being stopped via procedural votes.

Link

Excerpt:

Perhaps the largest impediment to change at the agency: South Carolina Republican Sen. Jim DeMint has a hold on the appointment of a TSA chief, over his concern that the new administration could allow security screeners to unionize.

Republicans have cast votes against the key TSA funding measure that the 2010 appropriations bill for the Department of Homeland Security contained, which included funding for the TSA, including for explosives detection systems and other aviation security measures. In the June 24 vote in the House, leading Republicans including John Boehner, Pete Hoekstra, Mike Pence and Paul Ryan voted against the bill, amid a procedural dispute over the appropriations process, a Democrat points out. A full 108 Republicans voted against the conference version, including Boehner, Hoekstra, Pence, Michelle Bachmann, Marsha Blackburn, Darrell Issa and Joe Wilson.

The conference bill included more than $4 billion for "screening operations," including $1.1 billion in funding for explosives detection systems, with $778 million for buying and installing the systems.
    Interesting that factoid isn't being reported on Faux News.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

MembersZone Subscriber

Lets see, The Netherlands let a terrorist board a plane: It's Obama's fault....
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusKspn View Post
    Exactly my point from above. The partisans here are too busy looking at the R and the D and laying blame on the opposite party. I saw one knucklehead (don't know who and don't care) blaming the R people because they were blocking the funding for TSA stuff via procedural votes. That is why I kind of chuckle at the increased security measures. Our security wasn't breached, it was the Dutch security that got breached.

The better question is why wasn't this clown on a no fly list? His father went so far as to warn the Obama administration of the problem, yet they chose to ignore it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Yep, He's The Man, The Capt. of the ship. The guy who runs the show. So when they, the government, where warned about this guy, and they chose to ignore the info. He was not put on the watch list but clearly should have been. He did everything but hold up a neon sign saying he was going to blow the plane to hell. But in the interest of not hurting anyone's feelings, they did not red flag this guy. We have reverted back to the pre 9/11, so don;t be surprised, if this kind of stuff continues. And who fault is it? Why it's our fearless leader's. If you are the commander and chief, the buck stops with you, but hey don't let it interrupt your golf game there tiger.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

-WINSTON CHURCHILL

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    The better question is why wasn't this clown on a no fly list? His father went so far as to warn the Obama administration of the problem, yet they chose to ignore it.
    He notified the US embassy, who put him on the watch list. "My son is becoming radicalized" is not a very detailed statement, there is not much to go on there.

The question would be why he wasn't screened better in The Netherlands if he was on the watch list.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

MembersZone Subscriber

Yep, He's The Man, The Capt. of the ship. The guy who runs the show. So when they, the government, where warned about this guy, and they chose to ignore the info. He was not put on the watch list but clearly should have been. He did everything but hold up a neon sign saying he was going to blow the plane to hell. But in the interest of not hurting anyone's feelings, they did not red flag this guy. We have reverted back to the pre 9/11, so don;t be surprised, if this kind of stuff continues. And who fault is it? Why it's our fearless leader's. If you are the commander and chief, the buck stops with you, but hey don't let it interrupt your golf game there tiger.
    So 9/11 was Bush's fault?

MembersZone Subscriber

So 9/11 was Bush's fault?
    Yep his and Bill Clinton's
    Stay Safe
    Bull

- Capt. Marc Cox CFD

-WINSTON CHURCHILL

MembersZone Subscriber

Yep his and Bill Clinton's
    So this is Bush and Obama then?

MembersZone Subscriber

Yes, it is the Pres. fault, right now. It is an indisputable fact that Al Queda is at war with us. It is an indisputable fact that as of about 9 PM on 9/11/01, we were at war with them. It is an indisputable fact that the civilized world was making headway against them. It is an indisputable fact that Al Queda did not attack us within our bordersl until 12/25/2009.

However, since he was innaugurated, Pres. Obama has launched a foreign policy campaign that includes appeasement, apologies and turning a blind eye towards the enemy. He will not even use the word "victory", even though it is indisputable that we are at war.

It is indisputable that he is taking people who fought against us on battlefields thousands of miles away and is putting them on the same plane as any other street criminal here in the US. It is indisputable that he is opening the prison gates in Guantanamo and is releasing enemy combatants back to their countries to be trained and returned to the battlefield.

This isn't a TSA problem (unless the TSA has jurisdiction over international airports). This is an overall policy problem in fighting the War (that's right, War) on Terror.

These zealots are coming after us again. They are not going to stop. The only way to stop them is to destroy them (the terrorists, not Muslims). However, I fully expect in a few months, the President will be over in Yemen apologizing to their people for the awful way we treated them.

Forum Member

Yet no one has a problem with DeMint stopping key appointees and funding for better equipment and imperiling public safety because of his fear of unionization?

Interesting mindset.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    I don't know the answer to this question. But the flight originated in Amsterdam with a destination of the U.S.. Does the TSA search passengers boarding a plane in a foreign nation? I checked out the TSA web site and only found references to U.S. airports. I'm pretty sure the U.S. agents aren't checking international flights inbound until they are on the ground.
    I'm pretty sure that soon after 9/11 TSA/DHS extended its security to include the departure terminals of inbound international flights. I know when I flew back from Europe we went through US border agents/security at the departure terminal.
    -3dd

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    This isn't a TSA problem (unless the TSA has jurisdiction over international airports).
    From TSA.gov
    To carry out TSA's mission internationally, TSA has twenty-one TSA Representatives (TSARs) and more than 50 TSA inspectors responsible for coordinating and conducting security assessments at more than 300 foreign airports and repair stations in more than 100 different countries. TSARs serve as transportation security liaisons to these host governments in addition to the local U.S. Embassy. TSA inspectors perform onsite security assessments that focus on personnel and equipment preparedness. Through their efforts, TSA has successfully vetted all airports with direct flights into the United States.
    So while TSA may be doing the actual screening (as I implied in my post above) they did review and vet the security procedures. If there was a problem with the procedures, organization, or mechanics of that airport's security then TSA should have caught it so it has some indirect responsibility.

If there was a failure it was with the intelligence agencies. When a father reports a son as a potential radical that should be taken seriously. Not just put on a list and forgotten. ESPECIALLY when that gentleman's name shows up on a passenger manifest a month later?!

They have a "Watch list", and a "No Fly list" and nothing in between?? seriously? I know I've heard horror stories about people who were mistakenly put on the No Fly list and that type of situation should be avoided. At the same time if there is a person of interest and the guy is on the watch list, should we, maybe, pull him aside for a one-on-one chat at security?

To correlate the Watch List with passenger manifests would take a couple milliseconds for a computer.. to not do it is incomprehensible.
    -3dd

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... Last

Thread Information