Forum Member

Default Quitting smoking. Need support! any tips would also be helpful

So I decided tonight˝ for about the 15th time, that I'm going to quit smoking. What I've found for aids that I can afford right now is St. John's Wort. Its supposed to help with the dopamine levels. I guess it helps simulate effect of nicotine. That's really all I can afford on my budget right now. If anyone has tips to help me quit that would be great, and also anyone who wants to offer support I would greatly appreciate it. Quitting smoking and getting in shape are my new years resolutions. And boy do I need them both. Ill never get my dream job if I don't whip myself into shape. I guess I just needed a public place to announce this so ill stick to it. Sorry if I rambled, and thanks in advance for the input.

Vinnie

MembersZone Subscriber

First, congrats on making the decision to quit, even if it is the 15th time. Hopefully this will be the last time for you. Get a good support network of friends that don't smoke and start hanging out with them more. Don't forego your smoker friends, but it will be easier the first couple weeks to be around people that don't smoke. Change your habits... try carrot sticks during your "smoke breaks." They help with the oral fixation. Don't go cold turkey. Work on reducing your number of cigarette over a period of a month or two. Cut down 10%-25% every few days. Exercise. Check your health insurance. Some of them will still cover counseling or certain drugs to help quit smoking. Finally, this one is a little out there, but it worked for my mother over 20 years ago and she's never had a smoke since: Hypnosis. She went to one session and she said it still took will power, but the urge was not nearly as strong. That was also before most of the new drugs, but it might be an option.

Good luck with making this healthy change!

Forum Member

Thanks for the support. I'm gonna try to get my girlfriend to quit with me. That will make it a hell of a lot easier. I've got another friend working on quitting too so her and I are gonna help eachother out.

Forum Member

Default progress report...

Well, some positive and negatives on this front. Let's start with the negatives first. I broke down and bought another pack today. That's relly the only negative. On the positive side, between monday and today, (well, yesterday, wednesday) I've only had 15 cigarettes, which is a hell of a lot better than the pack a day I was smoking. Nicotine gum, and st. Johns wort ( an herbal supplement for mood control) have helped the cravings a lot, and I honestly think I'm on track to being quit after the current pack I have. Also, I don't know what lit a fire under my *** to get in shape and quit smoking, but by sometime next week ill have P90X as well. If I can stick to the not smoking, and stick to thr workout program, I should me a lean, mean, healthy firefighting machine for 2010 and that will definitely increase my chances of getting hired on a full time department. If you took the time to read this, thanks for listening, and thabks in advance for any support.

Forum Member

Just quit......Dont buy any more and throw what you have away. No "I'll finish this pack", "I'll only smoke when I really need one", yada, yada, yada. Ive been there, done that. Seriously, the easiest way to do it is cold turkey.
    Buck
    Assistant Chief/EMT-B

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Good luck kiddo. Quitting smoking will be one of the best things you ever did.

You want some motivation? How about you have a ton of people that love you. How about you have lost 2 grandfathers, a grandmother, and a great grandmother to cancer. They all smoked. Coincidence? I'll leave that conclusion up to you.

If I can help let me know.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Good luck kiddo. Quitting smoking will be one of the best things you ever did.

You want some motivation? How about you have a ton of people that love you. How about you have lost 2 grandfathers, a grandmother, and a great grandmother to cancer. They all smoked. Coincidence? I'll leave that conclusion up to you.

If I can help let me know.
    I'm doin alright today. St Johns wort and nicotine gum are realllllllly helping with the cravings. I had what I hope to be my last cigarette at about 10 last night and haven't had one since so I hope it will stay that way.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chenzo View Post
    Thanks for the support. I'm gonna try to get my girlfriend to quit with me. That will make it a hell of a lot easier. I've got another friend working on quitting too so her and I are gonna help eachother out.
    hey if you and the girlfriend both quit i bet you budget for your next bad habbit will be a lot more! lol sorry I'm a smoker and so is my g/f and man if we quit we wouldn't know what to do with the extra money lol. Good luck, we might be joining you in attempting to quit here soon... last extrication we did had me ready to die lol

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chenzo View Post
    I'm doin alright today. St Johns wort and nicotine gum are realllllllly helping with the cravings. I had what I hope to be my last cigarette at about 10 last night and haven't had one since so I hope it will stay that way.
    so what's the update? have you quit now?!

Forum Member

Default eCigarette

A bunch of Respiratory Therapists at the hospital I moonlight at are using these "eCigarettes"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_cigarette

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pV8j81qX4U

Basically, you get nicotine cartridges, put them in the cig, and use it like a regular cig.

What you breathe out is 100% water vapor, so it is good for people around you, and studies have shown that nicotine is no more harmful then caffeine is. You get the motion, the comfort of smoking, but without the harmful carcinogens.

The cartridges come in different strengths, so you can gradually take away the nicotine from your system over time until you no longer need it.

Good luck!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KurtisJC View Post
    A bunch of Respiratory Therapists at the hospital I moonlight at are using these "eCigarettes"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_cigarette

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pV8j81qX4U

Basically, you get nicotine cartridges, put them in the cig, and use it like a regular cig.

What you breathe out is 100% water vapor, so it is good for people around you, and studies have shown that nicotine is no more harmful then caffeine is. You get the motion, the comfort of smoking, but without the harmful carcinogens.

The cartridges come in different strengths, so you can gradually take away the nicotine from your system over time until you no longer need it.

Good luck!
    Ive seen those. They actually have them at the mall. They're like $100 though. I'm actually doing very well quitting cold turkey, but thanks for the input.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool How I Quit.....

Here's what I did to help me quit, when I got the "urge" I'd pop a Jolly Rancher into my mouth. Of course, now I'm a diabetic..... Just kidding. But I really did do the Jolly Rancher thing and have referred many friends to it and it's worked for them also.

Another idea is to use those "Sorbee Candies" since they're sugar-free and won't cause another problem; weight gain.

Stay strong, stay focused and exercise to take your brain off the urges. You'll find that you'll have a new addiction, working out which is great for you anyways.
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool Support.....

When you feel weak, send out emails, PMs and make phone calls to folks that you know will be "brutally honest" with ya and talk to them. More important, listen to em that's why God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth.....
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

I had my last cigarette on December 10th 2008. I quit cold turkey. I had smoked 2 packs a day for at least 10 years and got tired of the habit, so I decided that was enough. I have a daughter that I want to see grow old and I don't want to leave her here without me simply because of my extremely selfish habit. My wife still smokes and it really does not matter because once my mind is made up, that is is the way it is gonna be. I'll never smoke again, but there is not a day that I don't want one.

Forum Member

Default Change your actions, change you habits

Have you ever read the story about the guy who would ring the bell every time the dog ate? If so you would know that over time the dog learned that when the bell rang it was time for him to eat. So one day the guy rang the bell and the dog started to saliva at the mouth even though it was not time to eat. The same works for us as humans. For example when we get together with friends to go out to eat, we typically will eat bad because we developed a relation to eating out = time to eat bad food; therefore, you can try everything out there but if you do not change your actions you will never be able to quite smoking. Study you habits and learn how to change them.

Trainer,

Joe

PS - If you are interested in losing weight then send me an email and I will be more than happy to help. joe@firefighterfitnessformula.com

Forum Member

I've been an on and off smoker for 25 years. I tried the gum and patch. I like the patch the best because it works without effort; unlike the gum where you have to pop one in, chew, park and repeat.

To quit successfully requires a complete health commitment-it's an attitude thing. Go for the complete health package to reinforce a stronger bridge to being a non-smoker. Combine nutrition and exercise with it. Having a completely healthy attitude is the key to success. For more tips on diet, skin, and teeth.
    Last edited by equity space; 05-24-2010 at 01:36 AM.

Thread Information