Thread: Aztek as LRH

Mike,
    I love the idea of using a Aztek to replace a LRH, I think it simplifies the operation. I also like using an I'D As a belay which also eliminates the need for a LHR. With todays equipment technology it's not hard to replace the LRH with something more efficient.
    Just My Thoughts...
    Mike Donahue
    "Training Prepares You...For Moments That Define You

Forum Member

I ask this only because I have never tried it. Has anyone here put a continues load onto the I'd (like one you can find on a highline) and then try to slowly release it with the I'd like you would a LRH? What have you found with its control? does it jump? or is it smooth?

Forum Member

i have put the maximum load on an I'D L that it is recommended to have on it, 272kg and it is fine (aka smooth and easy to control) IF you have the alternate rigging employed (ie the extra turn around a carabiner or a munter on that same biner). RD, not sure what you meant by highline forces (trackline, reeve, tags?) but the I'D L is only rated at 22kN and wouldn't want to see trackline forces anywhere near it and comfortably maintain your desired SSF.

I'D as a belay has come up before as a discussion and does get interesting, here's a recent discussion i saw awhile back (about 1/2 way into the discussion does the I'D stuff come into play):

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?ui...58&topic=11725
    My opinions posted here are my own and not representative of my employer or my IAFF local.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by stickboy42 View Post
    i have put the maximum load on an I'D L that it is recommended to have on it, 272kg and it is fine (aka smooth and easy to control) IF you have the alternate rigging employed (ie the extra turn around a carabiner or a munter on that same biner). RD, not sure what you meant by highline forces (trackline, reeve, tags?) but the I'D L is only rated at 22kN and wouldn't want to see trackline forces anywhere near it and comfortably maintain your desired SSF.

I'D as a belay has come up before as a discussion and does get interesting, here's a recent discussion i saw awhile back (about 1/2 way into the discussion does the I'D stuff come into play):

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?ui...58&topic=11725
    I wouldn't be so quick to remove the I'D from Trackline/Highline discussions. There is definitely some merit to not using it for rescue loads, but there are plenty of places it can be utilized to save time, equipment, and manpower. Two quick applications that come to mind are 1)ferrying equipment and gear across a span & 2) tensioned line across water for swiftwater applications.

In each of these cases, you can reduce the # of prussiks and pullys and quickly tension the line using an id with only 1 man. It is simple and fast, especially important in swiftwater applications. Also keep in mind that even though the I'D has a "breaking strength" of 22 KN, it functions as a load limiter. When the load hits the 4/5 KN mark, the rope will slip through the device, thus lessing the load at the anchor.

Forum Member

i wouldn't say quick to remove the I'd from the highline, just not impart trackline forces upon it (40kn with SSF factored - so about 4-5 kn depending on nylon/htp rope preference and anchor system).

i guess the 4/5 kN slipping clutch is a new thing to me and haven't ever seen that mentioned before, is that a consistent behavior you have seen with the I'D at those loads? even at 4/5 kN as a slipping clutch that only gives 4/5:1 for a SSF which is a bit low for our typical system design. Am I reading the post correctly in that you are proposing to use the I'D as part of the tensioning system of the trackline?
    My opinions posted here are my own and not representative of my employer or my IAFF local.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by stickboy42 View Post
    i wouldn't say quick to remove the I'd from the highline, just not impart trackline forces upon it (40kn with SSF factored - so about 4-5 kn depending on nylon/htp rope preference and anchor system).

i guess the 4/5 kN slipping clutch is a new thing to me and haven't ever seen that mentioned before, is that a consistent behavior you have seen with the I'D at those loads? even at 4/5 kN as a slipping clutch that only gives 4/5:1 for a SSF which is a bit low for our typical system design. Am I reading the post correctly in that you are proposing to use the I'D as part of the tensioning system of the trackline?
    yep, that's my thought, only in certain instances though. I'll have to double check on the slippage force with Petzl... speaking of tensioning systems, what's everybody's method for tensioning, and do you usually use a double trackline?

Thread Information