Forum Member

Default Spartan/Toyne Rescue Engine In Service Pics

As of today it is in service. Our ceremony consisted of driving it out of the rear bay, topping it off with fuel, and backing it in to the front bay.

Pic 1 shows the lineage. 1988 FMC (donating to local dept.), 1998 KME (new reserve engine), 2009 Spartan/Toyne
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by GFPD2005; 12-29-2009 at 10:17 PM.

Forum Member

Pic 1 100ft. bumper line of 1.75".

Pic 2 Inside of Cab. Diamondplate doghouse organizer has Knox Box mounted on front, storage for binders, ERG, NIOSH Pocket Guide, Spare Radio, etc. Compartment underneath for spare SCBA equipment.

Pic 3 Inside of Spartan "EMS" compartment. Water jug, traffic wands, LED lights for helo landing zone or attachable to parking cones. Diamondplate shelf on top holds a case with IR thermometer, combustible gas meter, AC volt detector, CO detector, and PH paper.

Forum Member

Pic 1 Under rear seat storage for RIT pak, Hare traction, and KED.

Pic 2 Rear of cab.

Pic 3 Walkway with flip down steps to access crossfire, coffins, and hosebed.

Forum Member

Pic 1 Officer side under walk way storage.

Pic 2 Officer side pump panel. 1000w FRC Optimum pull up, 750w FRC Optimum on removable tripod, 150ft. electric cable with junction box, 2 speedlays, 200ft. 1.75" with removable trays.

Pic 3 Plumbing and foam system.

Forum Member

Pic 1 Officer front compt. Little Giant, pull out tool tray, electric PPV fan, portable lights, electrical extension cord, rope, salvage covers.

Pic 2 Officer middle compt.

Pic 3 Officer rear compt. Cribbing, Electric fixed rescue tool power unit, Gas portable rescue tool power unit, cones, oil dry, short hydraulic hose, hydrant bag, rescue 42 struts, strut lifters, broom.

Forum Member

Pic 1 Spreader, Cutter on 100ft. hyd hose

Pic 2 FRC Optimum 1000w push up.

Pic 3 Hosebed with 1500ft. 5" (with room to spare) 400ft. 2.5", foam capable 2.5" discharge.

Forum Member

Pic 1 Driver rear compt. Airbags (2 large, 2 small), Orange airbag case (regulator, fittings, etc.) Sawzalls (battery and electric), tool box, strap box for stabilization struts, small rescue 42 struts, hydraulic rams.

Pic 2 Driver middle compt. EMS

Pic 3 Driver front compt. Appliance compartment, hosepacks, K12, chain saw, crossfire base

Forum Member

Pic 1 Driver pump access

Pic 2 Driver walkway compartment

Pic 3 Driver side inside cab

Forum Member

Pic 1 Coffin 1

Pic 2 Coffin 2

Pic 3 Pump panel

Forum Member

Looks outstanding! Dont you just love that under-walkway storage? Toyne is the only Mfr. to my knowledge that does this. It totally blew my mind the first time I saw it on a City of Pittsburgh engine company. One of the most cleverest uses of "dead space" I have ever seen!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

Nicely done now that its all finished. Hope everyone is happy...

Whoever wrote the bid specs did a fantastic job!
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Forum Member

Good job! Lots of useful stuff, all accessible. Good use of space. Thanks for posting the pix.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GFPD2005 View Post
    As of today it is in service. Our ceremony consisted of driving it out of the rear bay, topping it off with gas, and backing it in to the front bay.
    Never knew you could get a spartan fire service chassis with a gas engine these days.

congrats on the new rig. I'm not too crazy about Spartan chassis but it looks to be thought out well.

Forum Member

Nicely done.

I'm personally not a fan of top-mount pumps, but to each is on.

C6

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by k1500chevy97 View Post
    Never knew you could get a spartan fire service chassis with a gas engine these days.

congrats on the new rig. I'm not too crazy about Spartan chassis but it looks to be thought out well.
    I sold them an 817G Waukesha I had sitting around........
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by k1500chevy97 View Post

OK OK. We topped off the 50 gallon fuel tank with ultra low sulfur diesel for use in the Cummins ISL 9

MembersZone Subscriber

Very very nice truck brother.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

Forum Member

Looks GREAT !!!!!!!!
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

I'll be interested to learn how that V-Mux screen on the Officer's side works out. We didn't get it, but it looks like a good idea even though it's pretty pricey.

Forum Member

@ Chief11... Having the V-Mux (VISTA) on the officers side is actually a good thing to have. The officer can turn on or off things that are needed as an accessory, such as turning on the pump heater when starting to roll. This is one less thing the driver has to worry about when making a run. As well, other advantages.

GFPD2005... Very nice looking rig you ended up with. The use of dead space was well implemented in the build. There is alot I like about it, even the small stuff, like the dual spare bottle holders. WELL DONE!!!!

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Forum Member

That is awesome. I am very interested in the spine board box on the rear of the cab. Was that custom made or can that be bought somewhere?

And we have under walkway storage on our 2003 Freightliner/E-One. Very useful storage space.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
    @ Chief11... Having the V-Mux (VISTA) on the officers side is actually a good thing to have. The officer can turn on or off things that are needed as an accessory, such as turning on the pump heater when starting to roll. This is one less thing the driver has to worry about when making a run. As well, other advantages.

GFPD2005... Very nice looking rig you ended up with. The use of dead space was well implemented in the build. There is alot I like about it, even the small stuff, like the dual spare bottle holders. WELL DONE!!!!

FM1
    I pretty much agree. As familiar as you get with them, and I am, you still have to look at it to do things, especially when it requires switching screens. So your attention is diverted momentarily. It would be nice to be able to tell the officer to do some of it. GFPD told me that Weldon had come out with a touch screen version that they were considering but didn't get. I'd like to see that.

Forum Member

Very nice looking rig, great use of space. I really like the Spartan cab there seems to be alot more room in them than the "Sole Source" cabs.

MembersZone Subscriber

Looks like it came out awesome. Some great use of space and thought went into this rig!

I don't recall the cost of the second V-Mux and since this was our first we didn't really consider it, but that's certainly something I'd consider next time ()for the exact reasons FireMech1 and CE11 are alluding to. While the screen is fairly easy to operate, it requires more "eyes on time" than toggle switches for the most oft used items. We're big proponents of driver's paying attention to the road with both hands on the wheel, so it would be a natural progression if somewhat affordable.

Forum Member

Thank you all. A majority of the design ideas came directly from our last generation rescue engine and Firehouse forum members. A lot of people helped with pictures, suggestions, etc. and I think it paid off.

I like the officer side Vmux so the driver can focus on driving. Another thing I am going to request is to have a driver screen "sleep" option. Even at the lowest brightness setting it still affected my night driving on our trip home. With a sleep function the officer can use the Vmux while the driver can have his Vmux in sleep mode. We were talking about the touch screen Vmux the other day over lunch which happened to be greasy fried chicken. We decided it was a good idea to go with the touch button Vmux instead of the screen.

Also if the driver Vmux malfunctions you have a spare 3ft. away. We considered this a critical failure path that required redundancy.

The backboard sleeves on the back of the cab was an idea from our 1998 KMEs. Toyne did a great carbon copy of the original and it is a great place to store them.

There is still plenty of space available for growth. Any constructive suggestions for additional equipment would be appreciated. I am sure more crap will get thrown on in the coming weeks.

RFD....Wonder if the front officer side compartment looks familiar? The additional Vista screen was around $800-1000 I believe.

Thread Information