Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default New to the forums. Future FF

Hello everyone,

History:
    I served 5 years active duty in the US Navy as an Aviation Structural Mechanic. E-5
    I am currently serving in the US Navy Reserves in a Maritime Civil Affairs unit. I have had formal training in shipboard and aircraft firefighting, CBR, CPR, First Aid, and Hazmat procedures.

Future:
    I am going to be moving from the Bay area, CA to NC on the 7th of Jan. My Father-in-law is a Fire Chief, and a Captain at another FD.

I have always known that I was cut out for civil service and until quite recently I was set on Law Enforcement. I have decided that Firefighting is where it's at for me. I want to help people and work for the people, however I don't want to be hated by everyone.

My plans are to Volunteer at Flatwoods FD to get my FF1&2, rookie school, hopefully EMT-basic, and any other schools I can get. I have my GI bill to use for a degree but I am unsure of what I should major in. I would like to get an Engineering degree as they are helpful in the FF industry but I don't want to get beat out for a position because someone else had a more specialized degree.

I also don't really know what my career goals should be in Firefighting. I am a hard charger and I'm always motivated to get as many qual/certs as I can. I have a lot of Supervisory experience and I would like to make it as far as I can. I am the type of person who isn't satisfied until I have achieved as much as I possibly can.

If anyone could give me a good idea of what degree I should be shooting for and what kind of end position (ie. asst. chief, investigator, marshal,etc.) I should be shooting for.

Thank you all in advance!
    Last edited by NCarolinaAM2; 12-30-2009 at 03:02 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

hey I have been here for some time.....

Im the futureFF....just look at my handle.

Good luck with your future pursuit.

If you want a degree in engineering, why not look into a Fire Protection Engineer Program? There is a potential to make tons of money in that field- you could become a career FF and practice as an FPE on your off days......University of Maryland has a great program, you could become a live-in at any of a number of fire stations in/around Prince George's County, Maryland and get tons of experience while attending college.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

A Great place USA, which means not West Coast...!

Yeah you could go to Kentland
    FDNY 343 9/11/01 WILL Never Forget!

(W-6)

"We Lucky Few We Band of Brothers." William Shakespeare

"let no man's ghost return to say his training let him down. "

D-P-T

Quote Originally Posted by TruckSixFF View Post
    Yeah you could go to Kentland
    c'mon,.......quit messing with the poor kid!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Thank you for your input. I will have to find out if that is available in NC. (I can't relocate from there)

I'm not dead set on engineering, I just have an engineer's mind. I like engineering because it's pretty widely applicable.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by futureFF22030 View Post

Lol sorry I didn't mean to creep on your token futureFF position...

Can I ask why it has now taken you over 3 years? not to bag on you I just want to know what kind of roadblocks I may have to encounter.

Forum Member

for career fire positions you'll find many people competing for few spots. Its also a lengthy process. From the initial written and physical testing, you'll move to background checks, medical tests, and interviews. Any screw up in this process and you have to wait until the next time that particular department tests before getting another shot. Also each process for each department happens independently of each other. You could get a job offer at ABC FD, only to have it retracted because they don't have the money to hire. When you apply at XYZ department they don't care you almost got hired by ABC FD and you have to start right at the beginning like everyone else.

I don't want to discourage you, but its the reality of the hiring process. Be prepared for bumps and don't be surprised if it takes you a couple years to get a job. It can happen faster, but you'll be one lucky person if it does.

Quote Originally Posted by futureFF22030 View Post

Are you posting from a CB radio?
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

I wonder if he has a spout too

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    for career fire positions you'll find many people competing for few spots. Its also a lengthy process. From the initial written and physical testing, you'll move to background checks, medical tests, and interviews. Any screw up in this process and you have to wait until the next time that particular department tests before getting another shot. Also each process for each department happens independently of each other. You could get a job offer at ABC FD, only to have it retracted because they don't have the money to hire. When you apply at XYZ department they don't care you almost got hired by ABC FD and you have to start right at the beginning like everyone else.

I don't want to discourage you, but its the reality of the hiring process. Be prepared for bumps and don't be surprised if it takes you a couple years to get a job. It can happen faster, but you'll be one lucky person if it does.
    Well my Father-in-law already has a job lined up for me. Its at a small department and part time but it's a job. I won't be a fire fighter I'll actually be maintenance but while I'm there all my schooling will be paid for and when I get qualified he will be able to get me a paid Firefighter position at his other station.

Maybe you could shed some light on how much weight his promises actually hold. He's the Chief at the station I'm getting the part time at and a Captain at the station he says he'll be able to join when I'm qualed up.

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    That's funny!
    Last edited by webteam; 01-02-2010 at 12:14 PM. Reason: removing swearing

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    No. Does a forum user need to use proper etiquette for postings? However, I do find your response rather hilarious.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by NCarolinaAM2 View Post
    Well my Father-in-law already has a job lined up for me. Its at a small department and part time but it's a job. I won't be a fire fighter I'll actually be maintenance but while I'm there all my schooling will be paid for and when I get qualified he will be able to get me a paid Firefighter position at his other station.

Maybe you could shed some light on how much weight his promises actually hold. He's the Chief at the station I'm getting the part time at and a Captain at the station he says he'll be able to join when I'm qualed up.

That's funny!
    Nepotism runs rampant all over the US. I find it somewhat unethical. Especially when you are posting on a public forum that other members of your 'small department' could happen to read. I think moving up the ladder (no pun intended) is through hard work, and time put in.

Can I ask why it has now taken you over 3 years? not to bag on you I just want to know what kind of roadblocks I may have to encounter.
    Actually that was a name that I decided to use back in 2000. It stuck with me on various other forums and stuff. I hasn't taken me 3 years for anything, in fact, my process only took 6 months, I was on top of the game (which is part of the application/processing battle.) I didn't have to rely on the word of others, and did it all for myself. That being said, I don't think I am able to change to log in name (***actually was able to***)YaY!!!, I only use one email account for personal stuff.

Like I said, good luck and just know that there is a lot of competition out there. Start volunteering and get experience under your belt and then apply.
    Last edited by webteam; 01-02-2010 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Changed user name...Swearing removed

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
    Nepotism runs rampant all over the US. I find it somewhat unethical. Especially when you are posting on a public forum that other members of your 'small department' could happen to read. I think moving up the ladder (no pun intended) is through hard work, and time put in.

Actually that was a name that I decided to use back in 2000. It stuck with me on various other forums and stuff. I hasn't taken me 3 years for anything, in fact, my process only took 6 months, I was on top of the game (which is part of the application/processing battle.) I didn't have to rely on the word of others, and did it all for myself. That being said, I don't think I am able to change to log in name (***actually was able to***)YaY!!!, I only use one email account for personal stuff.

Like I said, good luck and just know that there is a lot of competition out there. Start volunteering and get experience under your belt and then apply.
    I see that I have hit a nerve with you. I am all about hard work, I have always made sure that I am at the top of my game. I don't think I will need any help I just have it there available to me.

As far as being unethical If I was a slacker or a piece of sh*t it would be very unethical for me to get a job over someone more qualified. I am neither of those 2 things. I will have my associates hopefully this time next year since I'm not going to school this semester. I will have my FFI and FFII, EMT-basic, and whatever other schools I can get, I will have probably about a year of Volunteer work under my belt. I don't think that I will be a super firefighter or anything but I'm pretty sure I will be marketable.

MembersZone Subscriber

I see that I have hit a nerve with you. I am all about hard work, I have always made sure that I am at the top of my game. I don't think I will need any help I just have it there available to me.

As far as being unethical If I was a slacker or a piece of sh*t it would be very unethical for me to get a job over someone more qualified. I am neither of those 2 things. I will have my associates hopefully this time next year since I'm not going to school this semester. I will have my FFI and FFII, EMT-basic, and whatever other schools I can get, I will have probably about a year of Volunteer work under my belt. I don't think that I will be a super firefighter or anything but I'm pretty sure I will be marketable.
    No nerve hit. In my experience, I have met many who talk the talk, and stumble all over the place when they are asked to walk the walk. By no means did I get upset by your comments. At the end of the day I still know where I stand. Nonetheless, I always am ready to help out others. However, when I see or hear people saying that 'daddy is getting me'...I lose hope. I start thinking Billy Madison or something. I'm not saying that is your case. I respect all brothers in uniform. I myself come from a military background (and still am active in my state guard.) Also, have you considered staying enlisted in the reserves? Just wondering.

Now as far as marketability, pursue your EMT-P (it'll take some time) as that is likely the rubber stamp into most hiring departments. Work hard, network with others, and show the others in the department that this is what you want to do. They will notice. Also, as far as school, I am in a Bachelors program right now, and all my electives have been Fire Science related. There is a lot of tricky algebra and physics involved, I am a book nerd...so this stuff comes easy, but have seen many drop classes due to the technical stuff. I am shy of my degree and am already enrolling in grad school, to study Emergency Management, as one day I will be old and broken down and will most likely need something to fall back on.

Good luck!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
    No nerve hit. In my experience, I have met many who talk the talk, and stumble all over the place when they are asked to walk the walk. By no means did I get upset by your comments. At the end of the day I still know where I stand. Nonetheless, I always am ready to help out others. However, when I see or hear people saying that 'daddy is getting me'...I lose hope. I start thinking Billy Madison or something. I'm not saying that is your case. I respect all brothers in uniform. I myself come from a military background (and still am active in my state guard.) Also, have you considered staying enlisted in the reserves? Just wondering.

Now as far as marketability, pursue your EMT-P (it'll take some time) as that is likely the rubber stamp into most hiring departments. Work hard, network with others, and show the others in the department that this is what you want to do. They will notice. Also, as far as school, I am in a Bachelors program right now, and all my electives have been Fire Science related. There is a lot of tricky algebra and physics involved, I am a book nerd...so this stuff comes easy, but have seen many drop classes due to the technical stuff. I am shy of my degree and am already enrolling in grad school, to study Emergency Management, as one day I will be old and broken down and will most likely need something to fall back on.

Good luck!
    I figured you had been beat out by someone who got the job due to "daddy."

I think your issue should be with people who do not perform rather than how someone got the job.

If I can't hack it as a Firefighter I have more to worry about than just losing my job. I have to worry about losing the respect of my Father-in-law. If anything there is more pressure on me to do my job to the best of my abilities than someone without my "connection."

I don't approach anything I do in a work capacity half-a**ed, I am very book smart and I learn quickly.

Thanks for the good luck wish.

MembersZone Subscriber

I figured you had been beat out by someone who got the job due to "daddy."

I think your issue should be with people who do not perform rather than how someone got the job.

If I can't hack it as a Firefighter I have more to worry about than just losing my job. I have to worry about losing the respect of my Father-in-law. If anything there is more pressure on me to do my job to the best of my abilities than someone without my "connection."

I don't approach anything I do in a work capacity half-a**ed, I am very book smart and I learn quickly.

Thanks for the good luck wish.
    Nope I didn't get beat out by anyone with a 'daddy' or anything like that, actually in the fire service I haven't had an issues..other than some light duty...all has been great.

And your welcome.

Forum Member

don't try to defend your nepotism, no one is going to be won over. We've all heard those weak arguments before

Either way, it sounds like you talk a big game but so far have only a part time "maintenance" job secured. Don't talk about performing and not performing since you haven't even had the chance to perform yet. You talk a pretty big game for someone who hasn't even been to a fire.

Forum Member

Wow...

And most of the Firefighters I've met were nice. There is no defense necessary for my nepotism. Firstly, this country wouldn't be what it is today without it. Secondly, you're retarded if you think I would avoid a career because my Father-in-law already works in it.

Yes, all I have locked down is a part time maintenance position, I'm also now signed up for an Academy starting on the 11th of Jan.

The experience I have in "performing" is from the Military. I realize it's a very different job, however both jobs require more than your average paper jockey is capable of.

I'm not here to make friends or enemies. I'm here for information. If you don't have anything useful to say please don't respond in my thread.

Oh and I am no newb to internet forums so I realize "you can post whatever wherever and whenever you want to" I just hope you have the maturity not to.

Being raised in the fire service, following your father's footsteps, wanting to do this since you were young = tradition

being raised in the fire service, following your father's footsteps, still undecided on future job, trying to find out if you want LEO or FD, daddy getting you a job = nepotism

tradition = know's what to expect, 99% make great firefighters

daddy's boy = drops out quick, think's he's owed something.

And no, there has never, EVER, been a case where being favorited over relation has proved itself to be a good thing.

Ever.

In fact, in the military and the fd, I have known guys to keep their relation to a higher up a secret and earn their way through.

This is useful information, everything posted here can be put to good use, it's just not what you want to hear.

I commend you for your obvious above average intelligence/ usage of spellcheck, but I'd work on being humble.

If being told the truth gets you bent out of shape now...........god help you.

Thread Information