Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: City of Orlando

Forum Member

Default City of Orlando

I heard through some people they're gonna open up soon. Has all their money troubles/layoff threats blown over?

And for the Orlando Brothers, how is stuff run up there?
    ALS Engines? Rescues? Truck Companies? 24/48 w/ kelly days? I wan't some info as i've always enjoyed Orlando and don't care to work for Orange County.

Thanks.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Deluge059 View Post
    I heard through some people they're gonna open up soon. Has all their money troubles/layoff threats blown over?

ALS Engines? Rescues? Truck Companies? 24/48 w/ kelly days? I wan't some info as i've always enjoyed Orlando and don't care to work for Orange County.

Thanks.

Supposively they got an "extension" of some sort that lasts till February. I could be way off. Rpferry will chime in here sooner or later I'm sure but. As far as the other questions:

Everything is ALS, all engines, trucks, rescues, and heavy rescue. 18 Engine Companies, 7 truck companies, 8 Rescues, 1 heavy rescue, Hazmat team (engine 101 and hazmat 1), high angle truck companies (1,11, and 8?I believe,) Hazmat truck companies (7 8 and 9?). Trucks are 4 man minimum I believe (all midmount sutphens, in fact the entire engine/truck fleet are sutphens) most engines are 4 man,except 2,7, and 11 (which happen to be the busiest in the city ironically). Transport is provided by Rural/Metro Ambulance. 24/48, kelly day every 7th or 8th shift? Again, rpferry will chime in here to correct me I'm sure. As far as retirement etc, I'm not to up on all of that, however from what I understand it is very attractive to say the least. Orlando is known for being one of the best departments around here, and is highly sought after. They are aggressive, have alot of tradition, and great equipment/SOP's from my understanding. The next time they test, expect a record turn out of people, as there aren't very many jobs in this area, and when a great job like OFD opens up, people are going to be HUNGRY to say the least. Oh, and the written test is the hardest entrance exam you will ever take, I promise you

Forum Member
    A Great place USA, which means not West Coast...!

http://www.cityoforlando.net/fire/Fast%20Facts.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCn_d-2tkCc

If you watch this youtube video it shows they seem to have pretty good tactics and are an agressive dept.
    FDNY 343 9/11/01 WILL Never Forget!

(W-6)

"We Lucky Few We Band of Brothers." William Shakespeare

"let no man's ghost return to say his training let him down. "

D-P-T

Forum Member

absolutely agree with VesMedic about the written test....great agency to work for...heard many good things from a lot of buddies of mine that work for them (if you can at least get past the written test)...ive past all of my written tests with many agencies except for this particular one....and both turnouts have been at least 300 people...they usually hire about 60 per hire which is about once every two years.

Forum Member

Ive been told the Union negotiated/waived some wages/benefits for the budget year that gave the 40 ish guys on the chopping block till feb. while the city was waiting to hear on some SAFER grant money. Ive also heard they have lost some people to medical/early retirement and should budget to hire to replace these positions, as they are already operating with 25+ vacancies.

Im hoping the current list doesnt expire as the recruit class from early 09 was put on hold.

Forum Member

A far as i can remember the union stuck the yearly raises in an account till February .. that staved off lay offs till then when they hope some grant from the feds will save them.

Great video ... love hearing the sirens. That girl in the video .... she got a brother and or father on the job in Orlando too. I think i might have seen/met her once .. long time ago.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by VESmedic View Post
    Supposively they got an "extension" of some sort that lasts till February. I could be way off. Rpferry will chime in here sooner or later I'm sure but. As far as the other questions:

Everything is ALS, all engines, trucks, rescues, and heavy rescue. 18 Engine Companies, 7 truck companies, 8 Rescues, 1 heavy rescue, Hazmat team (engine 101 and hazmat 1), high angle truck companies (1,11, and 8?I believe,) Hazmat truck companies (7 8 and 9?).
    The Rescues, are they like Ambulance/Rescue trucks? They don't transport? With 2 medics and an officer I assume?

Im wondering if the dept. is a more traditional fire department (like FDNY, San Fran, etc) over the merged EMS/Fire. I know EMS is getting big, but I would like to know what Orlando focuses on more and runs more.
    Last edited by Deluge059; 12-30-2009 at 07:00 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Last edited by VESmedic; 07-10-2010 at 03:20 PM.

Forum Member

I know what rescues are, haha. I work for a semi-big department in south florida, but 98% of all calls are Medical and the department focuses heavily on EMS. Its good for now, but i'm just seeing what else is out there, focusing more on the Hook & Ladder side.

MembersZone Subscriber

Last edited by VESmedic; 07-10-2010 at 03:20 PM.

Forum Member

Haha, nowhere else! Thanks

Forum Member

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherHed4Life View Post
    Ive been told the Union negotiated/waived some wages/benefits for the budget year that gave the 40 ish guys on the chopping block till feb. while the city was waiting to hear on some SAFER grant money. Ive also heard they have lost some people to medical/early retirement and should budget to hire to replace these positions, as they are already operating with 25+ vacancies.

Im hoping the current list doesnt expire as the recruit class from early 09 was put on hold.
    I hope it doesn't expire either, I polygraphed and interviewed. Still waiting, but it's worth the wait!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by layinonair View Post
    I hope it doesn't expire either, I polygraphed and interviewed. Still waiting, but it's worth the wait!
    you and me both brother.

Forum Member

One would think the cost alone of retesting would be terribly large in this economy, if you are down that many and already have spent money on the candidates (ie: those who poly and interviewed) it might be smart to still go off that list atleast to fill these vacancies. We shall see I guess, I have a few buds at OFD that say they haven't heard anything regarding hiring at this time, they have made mention about overhearing some talks about hiring in 2010, but that is still not confirmed.

Forum Member

One would think the cost alone of retesting would be terribly large in this economy, if you are down that many and already have spent money on the candidates (ie: those who poly and interviewed) it might be smart to still go off that list atleast to fill these vacancies. We shall see I guess, I have a few buds at OFD that say they haven't heard anything regarding hiring at this time, they have made mention about overhearing some talks about hiring in 2010, but that is still not confirmed.
    unfortunately alot changes in 2 years and I think the poly becomes inadmissable after so long... Only time will tell

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Deluge059 View Post

Thanks.
    Hey man,
    To answers your questions:
    1) Every unit in the city other than Hazmat 1(18 engines, 7 trucks, 8 rescues, 1 heavy) is ALS. Our engines are 4 man but we do have some that drop down to 3 man when staffing is needed elsewhere and OT is thin. Trucks are 4 man and the box is 2 man.
    2) We work 24/48 with a Kelly Day every 8th shift
    3) We have a private pension that we pay a little over 7% into every payday, have a very strong, active union that gets along with the city as best they can, and have pretty good sick and holiday time.
    4) The tradition here is amazing. We have a very strong sense of pride with our department and the job and love the work we do. Fire scenes here are run with strong SOPS and everyone has a job based on their seat assignment.

Also, for the guys waiting to here something, we still have no idea what is going with your list. We want to hire the spots we need bad but the budget being what is and what it is projected to be has put that in limbo. Personally I hope we get the brothers on that are waiting but unfortunately my hopes won't pay your paycheck or get you on. Let me know if ya'll have any other questions.
    -Rob
    Last edited by rpferry; 01-09-2010 at 11:51 AM.
    Greater love has no man than to lay his life down for a friend.

Forum Member

Exactly Rob, I would hope they would go off that list, and just go ahead and re-poly or re-interview us. I think it would be a lot of money spent, a lot of money which isn't there to retest again. It'll come if I am patient, I know that much! I'm just glad to hear your positions are pretty safe nowadays. But still being down 30+ sucks, and hopefully the city allows that hiring to proceed in the near future.

MembersZone Subscriber

Exactly Rob, I would hope they would go off that list, and just go ahead and re-poly or re-interview us. I think it would be a lot of money spent, a lot of money which isn't there to retest again. It'll come if I am patient, I know that much! I'm just glad to hear your positions are pretty safe nowadays. But still being down 30+ sucks, and hopefully the city allows that hiring to proceed in the near future.
    I Think you are trying to self-rationalize that it makes more sense to you because you are on the "list"......haha :P But seriously, as many people as there are out there looking for a job, I would think they would retest again. However, OFD does traditionally hold a list for 2 years, so who knows...

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by VESmedic View Post
    I Think you are trying to self-rationalize that it makes more sense to you because you are on the "list"......haha :P But seriously, as many people as there are out there looking for a job, I would think they would retest again. However, OFD does traditionally hold a list for 2 years, so who knows...

That must be what I was trying to do haha. I do feel like there should be a retest, hell even if I retest I have a lot more certs, experience, and marketability now than I did back when I tested last with OFD. If anything it would probably help retesting, but when I think of how hard the process was, I'd like to get a phone call saying I'm in Either way I'm okay with it, since this will be the department I work for eventually, won't settle til I get there haha.

Forum Member

The problem with waiting so long on a poly is what if the FF to be screws up between poly and hire date?

Looks aweful bad to those guys doing the background stuff. I imagine they are gona play it safe and redo them. Unless they go "exclusively" from the old list ... they are gona do poly/BG again anyways ... not that much more time to do a few extra REDO's.

The other issue is if somebody's uncles cousins is on the list and somebody's uncle cousin gonna be on the next list who ever has more pull might decide to redo the list or not.

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by owenscott View Post
    The problem with waiting so long on a poly is what if the FF to be screws up between poly and hire date?

Looks aweful bad to those guys doing the background stuff. I imagine they are gona play it safe and redo them. Unless they go "exclusively" from the old list ... they are gona do poly/BG again anyways ... not that much more time to do a few extra REDO's.

The other issue is if somebody's uncles cousins is on the list and somebody's uncle cousin gonna be on the next list who ever has more pull might decide to redo the list or not.

I'll polygraph again!, I've been an angel since that thing just in case!

HAHA

Forum Member

LOL ... you believe the poly is actual legit ...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by owenscott View Post
    LOL ... you believe the poly is actual legit ...
    You must know I am joking? LMAO

Forum Member
    A Great place USA, which means not West Coast...!

Looking at OFDs website they look like a very aggresive dept. Anyone know how many working fires they do a year? Does the dept see a lot of fire?
    FDNY 343 9/11/01 WILL Never Forget!

(W-6)

"We Lucky Few We Band of Brothers." William Shakespeare

"let no man's ghost return to say his training let him down. "

D-P-T

Forum Member

Im sure they have thier ups and downs like every dept. Ive heard that 11 is running quite a bit lately.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information