Thread: HAZMAT Tech

Forum Member

Default HAZMAT Tech

are all the new hire positions requiring Tech now? I've got every other cert under the sun except for that one. Just wondering, really wanting to get into the DOD program, and i'm noticing a trend requiring the cert. Is it posted that way to automatically disqualified you if you don't have it, or will they let you get the cert after hiring through AFCESA?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by peterbound View Post
    are all the new hire positions requiring Tech now? I've got every other cert under the sun except for that one. Just wondering, really wanting to get into the DOD program, and i'm noticing a trend requiring the cert. Is it posted that way to automatically disqualified you if you don't have it, or will they let you get the cert after hiring through AFCESA?
    GS-7 usually requires hazmat tech/BLS; as that is how they justify the GS-7 rather than GS-6. if you see most the GS-6 announcements, they are classified as HAZMAT OPS. the GS-7 gets paid for thier hazmat tech and/or bls certification, not because they are a driver/operator.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ShredddinCali View Post
    GS-7 usually requires hazmat tech/BLS; as that is how they justify the GS-7 rather than GS-6. if you see most the GS-6 announcements, they are classified as HAZMAT OPS. the GS-7 gets paid for thier hazmat tech and/or bls certification, not because they are a driver/operator.
    Correct. The GS-7 spots are usually reserved for places where the Fire Chief wants someone he can put right out on the floor, fully qualified, with minimal training.

If you don't have all of the certs, you could potentially face getting hired as a GS-6, or even as a GS-5 Trainee.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

seems wild to me that i've got all these ifsac certs, up to officer III, and what is holding me back is hazmat tech. Wild. Just never got around to getting it in the air force. Seems like that should be something they could let you get when you get hired on.

Forum Member

seems wild to me that i've got all these ifsac certs, up to officer III, and what is holding me back is hazmat tech. Wild. Just never got around to getting it in the air force. Seems like that should be something they could let you get when you get hired on.
    5 level requirements were changed awhile back so that you had to have hazmat tech along with the required d/o certification to get upgraded.

it is fairly easy to get you hazmat tech when you get hired as there are so many hazmat t-t-t out there, but its about what the job announcement says. if it says "able to obtain hazmat tech within 1 year of hiring" then you can wait until you are hired, however, if it says required certifications: "firefighter II, arff, hazmat tech, etc" then you need it before you are hired. keep in mind that a computer scans your resume and application before any human ever sees it. if it doesn't find all the critical keywords, then forget it.

Forum Member

ya.. i got upgraded long before that was a req, and when i caught wind of that i was a freaking Tech. Just never got the dog on thing. Kinda fishy to me though, looking at 6055, there is no stated position req for hazmat tech, nor can i find anything in AR 420-90/1 (the army reg that drives fire protection) I wonder where the need comes from.
    thanks for all you help, i do appreciate it. I've got a Crossfit class today with some Army DOD guys today, i'll throw the question at them as well.

Per DOD 6055:

Fire Fighter (GS-5 and above)
    Fire Fighter I and II
    Airport Fire Fighter

Driver Operator (GS-5 and above)
    Driver Operator - Pumpers
    Driver Operator Aircraft Rescue and Fire
    Fighting (ARFF)

Dispatchers/Alarm Room Operators Telecommunicator II
    (GS-5 and above)
    HAZMAT Awareness

Lead Fire Fighter (Crew Chief)
    Fire Officer I
    (GS-7 and above)
    Fire Instructor I
    Fire Inspector I
    Airport Fire Fighter

Forum Member

Remember, the local authority can make what ever requirements in addition to the 6055. Example, I work in SoCal and in CA, they use a different Hazmat system. So in order to be a HazMat Tech, you need to have gone through the CSTI HazMat Class. The DOD HMT is only worth the paper it is printed on. Now, I worked on one base, where they required the Lead Firefighters to have Fire Officer II because when they wrote the upgrade when they went from 7-8 they included it to justify the upgrade. There is a lot of play with the regs. What I would suggest, is that if you have access to the CDC...knock it out.

Forum Member

ya.. i got upgraded long before that was a req, and when i caught wind of that i was a freaking Tech. Just never got the dog on thing. Kinda fishy to me though, looking at 6055, there is no stated position req for hazmat tech, nor can i find anything in AR 420-90/1 (the army reg that drives fire protection) I wonder where the need comes from.
    thanks for all you help, i do appreciate it. I've got a Crossfit class today with some Army DOD guys today, i'll throw the question at them as well.

Per DOD 6055:

Fire Fighter (GS-5 and above)
    Fire Fighter I and II
    Airport Fire Fighter

Driver Operator (GS-5 and above)
    Driver Operator - Pumpers
    Driver Operator Aircraft Rescue and Fire
    Fighting (ARFF)

Dispatchers/Alarm Room Operators Telecommunicator II
    (GS-5 and above)
    HAZMAT Awareness

Lead Fire Fighter (Crew Chief)
    Fire Officer I
    (GS-7 and above)
    Fire Instructor I
    Fire Inspector I
    Airport Fire Fighter
    Like FFPM said, local juristiction has play with PDs when they submit RPAs... here's what OPM says about the GS-0081 series personnel classification, it should give you more of an idea of what i was talking about before:
    http://www.opm.gov/fedclass/gs0081.pdf

page 34

Forum Member

6055 does not say you have to be a HAZ-MAT Tech. or EMT the Fire Chief can state that is a requirement at his Department. I know of a firefighter with about 15 years in the DOD system who did not want to get his EMT and the Fire Chief got rid of him. Yes he fought it with OPM and lost.

Thread Information