1. #1
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    8

    Default Light tower mounting location

    Does anybody have a custom cab engine with the light tower mounted up in front of the hose bed on the body of the truck instead of on top of the cab? Since we want to spec a new engine with a raised roof, which has roof mounted A/C components, and a light tower, several builders are saying you can only get one or the other with a max. height of 9'6". Just looking for alternatives. Thanks.

  2. #2
    ...
    ... is offline
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    420

    Default

    Do you mean above the pump?

  3. #3
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Northeast Coast
    Posts
    3,860

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cfcff36 View Post
    Does anybody have a custom cab engine with the light tower mounted up in front of the hose bed on the body of the truck instead of on top of the cab? Since we want to spec a new engine with a raised roof, which has roof mounted A/C components, and a light tower, several builders are saying you can only get one or the other with a max. height of 9'6". Just looking for alternatives. Thanks.
    I've seen many mounted this way. Both styles as well (telescopic and folding). Depending on the style you choose the amount of space required to bed it will likely shorten your hose bed forcing you to look at how you desired load is accomplished. This is also where many gensets are mounted as well as the water and foam tank fill towers.

    FR61: What if the pump wasn't there but in the rear?

  4. #4
    ...
    ... is offline
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    420

    Default

    If it was a rear mount it could be mounted in the dunnage area near the fill towers...Right?

  5. #5
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    8

    Default

    We will have hose reels mounted above the pump panel where the crosslays are usually located. One reel on each side. We like to pull off the amount of hose we need then connect it to a discharge. The light tower would have to be mounted behind them somewhere. I guess the correct wording should be. Does anybody have a light tower mounted on top, behind the pump module/housing but in front of where the supply hose is stowed on an engine? Thanks again.

  6. #6
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Catlettsburg, KY
    Posts
    378

    Default

    Where do you plan on putting the generator? Ours is in the dunnage area. It is a 12 kw hydraulic generator. We have a side mount pump with the folding light tower on the raised portion of the roof. When we were specing our engine we were asked is we wanted an AC unit but we were never told we could not have both. We just could not afford both. It is a Sutphen S2.

  7. #7
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BSFD9302 View Post
    Where do you plan on putting the generator? Ours is in the dunnage area. It is a 12 kw hydraulic generator. We have a side mount pump with the folding light tower on the raised portion of the roof. When we were specing our engine we were asked is we wanted an AC unit but we were never told we could not have both. We just could not afford both. It is a Sutphen S2.
    I think the hydralic generator will be mounted in the dunnage area like yours. I'm not sure if it could be mounted in the rear because it is PTO driven. Maybe that might be a trade off for us. Engine driven generator in back of truck and light tower mounted in dunnage area.
    Some custom cab builders mount A/C components on top of the cab taking up space on the lower part in front of the raised roof. Going with a raised roof for us will not allow us to put a folding light tower on the raised part because our max. height is 9'6".

  8. #8
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Upstate (Albany area), NY
    Posts
    422

    Default

    Yes. Only two problems with it noted:
    1) The deck gun had to be offset from center, and now has about a 350 degree range, instead of 360 if the light tower is up. Officer / Operator needs to be aware of this when spotting/positioning apparatus when the gun and the light might both be used.

    2) Big feet walking around topside while cleaning, packing hose, using deck-gun, etc. If the light is down, they can hit the individual lamps. Two already broken in two years. (by the same klutz)
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."

    George S. Patton

  9. #9
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Northeast Coast
    Posts
    3,860

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cfcff36 View Post
    I think the hydralic generator will be mounted in the dunnage area like yours. I'm not sure if it could be mounted in the rear because it is PTO driven. Maybe that might be a trade off for us. Engine driven generator in back of truck and light tower mounted in dunnage area.
    Some custom cab builders mount A/C components on top of the cab taking up space on the lower part in front of the raised roof. Going with a raised roof for us will not allow us to put a folding light tower on the raised part because our max. height is 9'6".
    I'd give up the raised roof for the best option on mounting the light tower. Sure there is some relative comfort with the raised roof, but unless you have long runs and whiny FFer's, I'd sacrifice this for the functionality of the light tower.

    If you must mount it behind the dunnage/generator area, you'll either cut down your hose bed capacity or force a dimension to be larger (either taller or longer overall apparatus).

  10. #10
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    211

    Default

    [QUOTE=cfcff36;1128105]Does anybody have a custom cab engine with the light tower mounted up in front of the hose bed on the body of the truck instead of on top of the cab? Since we want to spec a new engine with a raised roof, which has roof mounted A/C components, and a light tower, several builders are saying you can only get one or the other with a max. height of 9'6". Just looking for alternatives. Thanks.[/QUOT

    We have a Wil-Burt 6000 watt light tower mounted behind the pump module, forward of the hosebed. We opted for a "L" style 750 gal. tank which lowered our hosebed. The tower is mounted on the top of the "L" section, which normally would have been dead space.. Works great, low profile, and low hosebed. Front section of tank is probably about 3' long.

  11. #11
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Catlettsburg, KY
    Posts
    378

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cfcff36 View Post
    I think the hydralic generator will be mounted in the dunnage area like yours. I'm not sure if it could be mounted in the rear because it is PTO driven. Maybe that might be a trade off for us. Engine driven generator in back of truck and light tower mounted in dunnage area.
    Some custom cab builders mount A/C components on top of the cab taking up space on the lower part in front of the raised roof. Going with a raised roof for us will not allow us to put a folding light tower on the raised part because our max. height is 9'6".
    CFC, you have a max height of 9'6"? I am not sure that you can get a raised roof on a cab. Our engine is 11'8" with the light tower. When the light tower is down it only takes about 10" inches of space and most of that is the forward protective shield. I think our engie is taller that 9'^" at the lower level of the roof expecially with the light bar (Whelen LED Freedom). Are you sure about the height?

    Second one down on this page is ours.

    http://www.sutphen.com/RecentDeliver...E_6_A_Page_E_5

    Addind a correction here. It is 11' tall at the tip top. Light tower takes about 8 1/2" puts the top of the raised roof at 10' 3 1/2"
    Last edited by BSFD9302; 12-30-2009 at 07:55 PM.

  12. #12
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    1,214

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cfcff36 View Post
    Does anybody have a custom cab engine with the light tower mounted up in front of the hose bed on the body of the truck instead of on top of the cab? Since we want to spec a new engine with a raised roof, which has roof mounted A/C components, and a light tower, several builders are saying you can only get one or the other with a max. height of 9'6". Just looking for alternatives. Thanks.
    Spec an L shaped water tank....heres is ours....





    Our rig is 500G water, 30 Foam 112" high ans 382" long
    Last edited by MG3610; 12-30-2009 at 08:23 PM.

  13. #13
    55 Years & Still Rolling
    hwoods's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....
    Posts
    10,739

    Post And...........

    MG3610, If I understood the O.P. correctly, Your Light tower is where he is going to put 2 hose (Booster??) Reels.......


    Here in my neck of the Woods, Light Towers on Engines are a rare exception, since Light Towers are usually on Heavy Rescue Squad Trucks.......
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

    IACOJ Budget Analyst

    I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

    www.gdvfd18.com

  14. #14
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    1,214

    Default

    I reread it, he says hose reels where crosslays are usually located and light tower in the front of the hosebed on top of the tank, exactly as we have ours. Am I missing something?

  15. #15
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    211

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MG3610 View Post
    Spec an L shaped water tank....heres is ours....





    Our rig is 500G water, 30 Foam 112" high ans 382" long

    Thats the same as our layout, only the tower is monted side-to-side so the front-to-rear distance is a bit less. Works great.

  16. #16
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    75

    Default

    We elected to go with a vertical light tower to keep the tower off the roof of the equipment. The tower is in the rear right corner of the engineer's cabinet and raises out of the hosebed. We elected to push the side boards of the hose bed out to the edge of the engine to expand the hose bed and create a protective area for the light heads. The tower is sealed and they put a drain tube to drain the compartment. I do not have a photo of the compartment but I have attached the photo with the tower up. While we loose a minor amount of hose bed and compartment space, the trade off was well worth it. This is a Wilburt NS-15-6000 and is only partially extended.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Fire562; 12-31-2009 at 12:55 PM.

  17. #17
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Dickey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,111

    Default

    cfcff36,

    You should be able to put it anywhere you want, depending on the style of cab you want. Most manufacturers have this figured out and where it works and where it doesn't work. If you want a telescoping light vs. a fold up/fold down light will make a difference too. A folding light can be placed on top of the cab too, I have seen that.

    Keep checking, you will find what you are looking for.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

    IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

  18. #18
    55 Years & Still Rolling
    hwoods's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....
    Posts
    10,739

    Red face Uhhh...... Oops........

    Quote Originally Posted by MG3610 View Post
    I reread it, he says hose reels where crosslays are usually located and light tower in the front of the hosebed on top of the tank, exactly as we have ours. Am I missing something?

    Looks like I missed something...........
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

    IACOJ Budget Analyst

    I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

    www.gdvfd18.com

  19. #19
    Forum Member
    FiremanLyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    948

    Default

    Like this?

    Mounted on the front side of the "crow's nest"

    Second picture shows where it is mounted in relation to the pump, generator is right rear of the crow's nest, redline left rear. Deck gun rear middle, and the water and foam fill towers are in the hose bed.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

  20. #20
    Forum Member
    Rescue101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Bridgton,Me USA
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DFDCar1 View Post
    Yes. Only two problems with it noted:
    1) The deck gun had to be offset from center, and now has about a 350 degree range, instead of 360 if the light tower is up. Officer / Operator needs to be aware of this when spotting/positioning apparatus when the gun and the light might both be used.

    2) Big feet walking around topside while cleaning, packing hose, using deck-gun, etc. If the light is down, they can hit the individual lamps. Two already broken in two years. (by the same klutz)
    Maybe it's time for a better klutz. T.C,

  21. #21
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fire562 View Post
    We elected to go with a vertical light tower to keep the tower off the roof of the equipment. The tower is in the rear right corner of the engineer's cabinet and raises out of the hosebed. We elected to push the side boards of the hose bed out to the edge of the engine to expand the hose bed and create a protective area for the light heads. The tower is sealed and they put a drain tube to drain the compartment. I do not have a photo of the compartment but I have attached the photo with the tower up. While we loose a minor amount of hose bed and compartment space, the trade off was well worth it. This is a Wilburt NS-15-6000 and is only partially extended.
    Fire562,

    This is the cab and chassis we are looking at. I'll send you a PM for more info. Thanks.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Kentucky Fire department Restoring Fire Tower
    By coldfront in forum Wildland Firefighting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-05-2005, 12:59 AM
  2. World Of Fire Report: 02-18-04
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-19-2004, 11:56 PM
  3. The Mt Everett Fire Tower -Mass.
    By NJFFSA16 in forum Wildland Firefighting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-10-2003, 05:45 AM
  4. Thermal Imaging SOG's
    By wtfd92 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 06-27-2001, 08:41 PM
  5. Light Tower on New Apparatus
    By Capt2405 in forum Apparatus Innovation
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-10-1999, 02:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register