Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default Turnout Time / How to put on Gear.

What is your department's goal for turnout time?

Also, I have a couple of questions...

1. Is a turnout time of 60 seconds for all turnout gear AND on air reasonable? I find it tough to do it all under 60 seconds.

2. How do you like to put on your turnout?

Me?

1. Hood.
    2. Pants.
    3. Coat.
    4. SCBA (Over-the-head method)
    5. SCBA mask.
    6. Hood on.
    7. Helmet on.
    8. Gloves.

How 'bout yourself?

Forum Member

realistically, for someone donning turnout gear before riding in a modern apparatus with SCBA seats to a fire type alarm, you only need your boots/pants, coat, and hood on (down and around your neck). Sit down, put your airpack and gloves on and wait to get to the scene. Wait till you get there to put your helmet on, and wait until entering somewhere with smoke before donning your facepiece, putting hood up, and going on air.

putting your gear on and getting your butt in the seat shouldn't take more than 20-30 seconds.

You will have to figure out your own method and what works best for you. No two people dress out exactly the same. Repitition will show you your best way.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Banned

Interesting, I find that I have to put my bunker pants on first. I have a tough time getting the suspender straps on right if I put my coat on first.

My procedure.

Understand I put my bunkers over the outside of my boots.

Boots first then pull up the bunkers and put suspenders on.
    Next, on with the coat.
    My hood is in my coat pocket that goes on next and I tuck it in under the coat.

At this time we are enroute.

Once on scene if I have to pack up then I put the pack on
    Face piece
    Hood over the top
    Helmet goes on
    and last but not least the gloves

We use ISI packs so or air is already connected. We just flip the switch to go on air. So that doesn't even come into play.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    You will have to figure out your own method and what works best for you. No two people dress out exactly the same. Repitition will show you your best way.
    Question, would you think the pants go on before the coat?

Forum Member

I would focus more on getting your gear on properly each and every time and then work on your speed. In your turnouts and on air in less than 60 is actually considered above average in many departments.

MembersZone Subscriber

The requirements for our department (and state FFI) is 1 minute for gear, one minute for SCBA, or 2 minutes for both.

Develop a method and do it the same way every time.

Here is what I do.

Step into boots, put on hood.

Pull up pants, position suspenders, close fly and latch.

Throw on coat (overhead, not like a regular coat), velcro closed, pull hood back.

Turn on SCBA, verbalize pass device and low air alarm activation, check gauge.

Throw pack on (again, overhead) and fasten buckles.

Put on mask, tighten spider straps, verify seal (and verbalize)

Pull up hood, put on helmet.

Attach air to mask.

Put on gloves.

Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    Interesting, I find that I have to put my bunker pants on first. I have a tough time getting the suspender straps on right if I put my coat on first.

Where did anyone say they put their coat on before their boots and pants?
    How I go about it is hood, boots/pants, coat, helmet. I grab my mask off my locker door and go open the garage door. Dpending on the incident, ill either pack up (alarm activtion, car fire, structure fire) or put on my gloves and wait to arrive on scene. (Car accident, ems lift assist[in which case the coat and helmet stay off and I put on rubber gloves instead of my structural gloves])
    Like was said its personal preference.
    Last edited by Chenzo; 12-29-2009 at 11:26 PM.

what in the hell are you talking about?
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

That's exactly what I was thinking. I didn't see coat on before boots/pants anywhere.

MembersZone Subscriber

Back to OP... I believe the NFPA book tests 1 min for turnout coat/pants/boots, hood, helmet and gloves. Then a total of 2 minutes to include the airpack, facepiece and be on air. And this is usually tested with everything laying out so it's easy to get to. Check Youtube.... some dude there got the whole thing down to like 34 seconds! Normally, I'll run a drill about 1:30-1:40, which is fine. One of my buds is below 1:20. When you get to the part about donning it from the truck, find out what your instructors want. NFPA isn't as specific on this and it's not one of their timed events. I can be on air in the truck, seatbelted and then exit within 2:00. Best is around 1:50 doing it that way. But the biggest thing is to be dressed properly so you don't get burned and don't be the last one to the rig. Wait on others, not you.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Chenzo View Post
    Where did anyone say they put their coat on before their boots and pants?
    How I go about it is hood, boots/pants, coat, helmet. I grab my mask off my locker door and go open the garage door. Dpending on the incident, ill either pack up (alarm activtion, car fire, structure fire) or put on my gloves and wait to arrive on scene. (Car accident, ems lift assist[in which case the coat and helmet stay off and I put on rubber gloves instead of my structural gloves])
    Like was said its personal preference.
    Its that darn dyslexia kicking in again.

No, other way around. Try it for yourself and let me know how it works out for you.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    No, other way around. Try it for yourself and let me know how it works out for you.
    roflmao!!!

At our department, you need to be at 1:30 (90 secs) from station wear to breathing air. But, for ea. members yearly goals, they subtract 15 secs, so you really need to be at 1:15 (75 secs) if you want that raise.

Either way, it's more important to have the gear on CORRECTLY than QUICKLY. Speed comes with repitition, but if you're doing it wrong to begin with, speed doesn't really matter.

Anyways, this is one of those skills that I like to have fun with. I like to try to "race" other guys or try different ways (unless we're actually bunking up for a fire, then I just do the way I KNOW is right for me).

So, enjoy it and have fun with the trial and error. It's all about attitude, bro. And so far, I'd have to say your attitude is fantastic!!

BTW, I used to be a "die-hard" over the head method guy, but I've started using the "coat" method and I've shaved off about 5-8 secs. So, now that's the method I use. Just FYI.
    Take care,
    pete
    Last edited by sweetpete; 12-30-2009 at 11:28 AM.

Depending on where i am and how i have my gear out. If I'm going for speed, such as testing, then its hood from between my boots, into boots, pants up, coat, zip coat, neck flap, helmet, gloves. Otherwise, this usually happens from out of the back of my X-cab pickup, its pants, coat, hood, helmet gloves. With airpack its over-the-head in about 45 seconds from having full bunker gear on to packing up, and being in full bunker gear again.

MembersZone Subscriber

We have one minute for our gear and one minute for our pack or can be combined for a two mintue total.

Forum Member

3/5 Of our General FireFighter's.

Asst. Chief, Captain, & A FireFighting Asst.

Can Have all Gear on, And Packed out in SCBA in 32-38 Seconds.
    That Is without riding on the Appartus.
    This is during Quick Dress, And During Training.

Forum Member

At my station if you're not geared up and on the rigs in under 1 minute of being dispatched then your *** is getting left behind. Lol, it's happened to me. And that includes whatever time it takes you to get moving and down the slide poles.
    Last edited by BIKERinBLACK; 12-30-2009 at 02:33 PM. Reason: I suck at spelling lol.
    A man is not finished when he is defeated; He is finished when he QUITS!

-Former U.S. President Richard M. Nixon.

Forum Member

to me, speed is not important. what is important is learning how to put the gear on correctly each and everytime. the good or bad habits you form now will follow you for the rest of your career.

I suggest that you focus on putting your gear on the same way everytime. Storing your gear on the rig the same way everytime. After a few hundred times it will be 2nd nature for you, and you will not think about it. At o dark thirty, you will automatically put your gear on properly and quickly. When you are at the front door with fire rolling out the window beside you; you will put your mask on, pull your nomax up properly and quickly with out even thinking.

correctness requires attention to detail
    speed requires duing the same thing several hundred times.

Thread Information