Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Getting a Ride-Along exception

Howdy....

I've been riding out with an ambulance service for around 2 years now (since I was around 13)...and just did my first couple of Fire ride-alongs...

my city does not normally allow people under 18 to ride-along but they have made a couple (2) exceptions that I have ever heard before...they were for a10 year old and 12 year old.

I am currently 15 and part of an explorer post.

I'm planning on sending an email to the assistant chief to see if he would be willing to make an exception...

any advice?

also, should I mention the other 2 people who were able to ride along?

thanks.

Forum Member

Advise -- dont send a email to your asst. chief ----- try talking to him in person --- second - when you do talk to him - dont spout a bunch of "advise" from a internet forum. Every situation is different -

Forum Member

Last edited by ColoradoDave; 02-12-2013 at 11:51 AM.

Forum Member

Well...I understand that. I will have to send it to the Fire Administration people and they will foward it to him.

talking to him is no possibility as I live in a big town...I seriously doubt he would have the time.

Forum Member

request it through your explorer post advisor, use the chain of command. it show not only respect but also show that you are mature enough to properly do things.

MembersZone Subscriber

It sounds like they keep underage ride-alongs to an extreme minimum. Be able to professionally and effectively justify/explain why they should violate policy (which is in essence what an exception is) to allow you to ride out with them.

I agree with RFD21C, approach through your Explorer post. Most likely they have connections that might make it more likely to get approved.

And regardless of the outcome, graciously accept the decision. If it is denied, it may really stink for you, but there's some reason behind their decision (usually a combination of your safety and their insurance).

If it works out, enjoy the experience!

Forum Member

okay...I think I might have mistated the situation...

I am a Fire Explorer in a post that ALLOWS ride-alongs, quite liberally...

I do my EMS ride alongs on a completely diferent city...

I am trying to get a ride-along with a city that does NOT have an explorer post.

Any suggestions on how to write the e-mail?

I'm only a couple days away from 16....so I'll probably wait to send it out...I figure 16 sounds better than 15.

also...should I mentiont he fact that they have granted exceptions before?

thanks

Forum Member

i think your trying to do too much. i know you probably just want to get experience, but from an outsider's prospective, i think your trying to push it. why push a different city to do ride-alongs when they dont allow it (besides your obivous point that they've granted them before)? id stick with my city and when im OF AGE for the other city then approach them. but this is all me, im not putting you down for trying. good luck.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'd stick to riding with your own city in that case. When you're in a hiring process in a couple years, there would be more justification for getting a ride with a city you're applying with. And personally, I'd leave out the part about them giving exceptions in the past. Reminds me of kids arguing with a parent and then saying "well you let Johnny do it." You might end up coercing your way into a ride, but if you rub someone the wrong way, it's a very small world out there.

Forum Member

once again talk to your explorer post advisor on it. sell him on it. then have him either direct you to contact the department or have him contact the department to set it up. In the fire service you just cannot walk into the any chief's office and ask for "xyz." the chain of command is not just used in your internal department, it is also used between departments.

the fire department is a paramilitary organization. we have a chain of command for a reason, use it.

Thumbs down

You will not like what I am going to say.

Kids do not need to be riding fire apparatus or ems vehicles. That puts too much responsibility on the department, city, county or burg that is providing this service.

What will happen if and I sure hope not, there is a accident and you are serious injured or God forbid killed??

Someone is going to get their pants sued off!

Wait until you are old enough, 18 in Virginia, to join a department become certified and then become a riding member.

Think about it.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

I did a ride along with our closest career department. Granted, I did it on a training day, and basically rode with the training officer for most of the day, which was still fun. I learned a lot more doing that than I would have riding. But when I wasnt with the training officer, I was riding with the Battalion Chief, and not on any engines or ambulances. But he basically said, anything more than a minor alarm we would go. I had to sign waivers and stuff before I did anything.

If this will help to just try and ride with the Chief instead of an engine or ambo, it might get you the chance to at least ride, but still be out of the way.

Thread Information