MembersZone Subscriber

Default Congressman asking where the grants are

Well, it isn't just us asking where the grants are. I got an email from our local congress-critters, both of which are staunch supporters of the AFG...

Senator Bond, Congressman Blunt Ask FEMA: “Where are the Assistance to Firefighters Grants?”

Washington, DC – Concerned about the total lack of Assistance to Firefighter Grant (AFGP) awards from fiscal year 2009 that ended 90 days ago, Missouri Senator Kit Bond and Southwest Missouri Congressman Roy Blunt have written Craig Fugate, Administrator of the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), to ask why the funding has dried up. The fiscal year 2009 Assistance to Firefighters Grant Program has more than $520 million to award to fire departments for equipment, protective clothing, and large-capacity, water-carrying firefighting vehicles.

“The Assistance to Firefighters Grant Program has helped modernize rural fire departments across America,” Blunt and Bond wrote. “In Southwest Missouri for example, the program has aided in the purchase of equipment that has made rural firefighters safer and more effective in rescue operations, saving lives and protecting property impacted by fires, natural disasters and local emergencies.

It is our understanding that this assistance has dried up,” the letter continued. “Fire chiefs in Missouri are asking why FEMA has stopped making grants. Three months into the 20I0 fiscal year, we have been told that FEMA has yet to distribute any of the more than $520 million in Assistance to Firefighter Grants from 2009 and we request a status report and explanation for why the 2009 grants been purportedly put on hold.

“We look forward to your prompt response and providing any assistance to get this very successful program back on track,” the letter concluded.
    The deadline for applying for 2009 AFGP grants was in April. Typically, awards begin between August and October and run into the first half of the following year, meaning this year’s grant program is already at least three months behind schedule. Since the program started in 2001, Southwest Missouri fire departments have received more than $14 million. The program funds the purchase of equipment that has helped modernize rural firefighting and made rural firefighters—most of them volunteers—safer and more effective on the job.

Forum Member

Default Good to see this.....

Someone keep us posted on where this goes...

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Something official would be nice, but the station grants caused most of the delay, which then caused more delays once the fiscal year changed and the nice sets of red tape that come with that.

Of course few could have seen the results of low-bid software contracting causing the 1199A problems...

Forum Member

Mike thanks for posting.. Keep us posted..

Forum Member

Wink popular

Wow! Just how much do you contribute to these guys Catch?

MembersZone Subscriber

I know Catch stays in touch with our Congressmen just like I do. In the last 30 days I have made several calls to these guys staffers asking them to find out what is going on. I was told 2 weeks ago that the Congressman had been told that awards had already begun.

I told them all they had to do was log on here to see that they had not.

MembersZone Subscriber

Any updates Catch

MembersZone Subscriber

Well, I finally got a copy of FEMA's reply...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

Nice one Catch!!! Your on this thing like a hobo on a hotdog... It is good to see that not all of Washington is out of touch with their constituents.

Thanks again!

MembersZone Subscriber

3300 being processed for awards. 5300 were awarded last year. Let hope they got a pile that says "not been processed yet but will get an award"

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    3300 being processed for awards. 5300 were awarded last year. Let hope they got a pile that says "not been processed yet but will get an award"
    I noticed that too. Wonder what kind of response he will get from the Congressman when he calls on him to ask him to assist in future issues?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

3700 have been processed, many more to come. Should be around the usual 5000 total as it has been in the past. Even all of those 3700 don't have reductions and/or 1199As yet, plus note the large lack of vehicle award movement. Once R1 cracks the ice should flow nicely with pre-award and award movement.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er View Post
    3700 have been processed, many more to come. Should be around the usual 5000 total as it has been in the past. Even all of those 3700 don't have reductions and/or 1199As yet, plus note the large lack of vehicle award movement. Once R1 cracks the ice should flow nicely with pre-award and award movement.
    This confuses me. I thought they always tried to get the vehicle awards out first.

MembersZone Subscriber

Based on the average award amount for last year of $93,512 equates to about 5,426 awards with this years available appropriation of $507,400,000.
    Last edited by onebugle; 01-22-2010 at 04:30 PM.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Normally vehicles are loaded first, but who knows what the deal is.

Forum Member

Smile

Let's see here; Vehicles = Fire "Trucks". We all know now how the President feels about trucks and maybe they're not a priority anymore. lol
    (Just in the spirit of fun everyone)

"Just remember. No matter where you go. There you are!"

MembersZone Subscriber

The way I'm taking it, if awards are to start in January, that's going to be next week.

My biggest question; when will the 2010 application period begin?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    The way I'm taking it, if awards are to start in January, that's going to be next week.

My biggest question; when will the 2010 application period begin?
    Best guess the end of March.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking Did the laws of economics change??

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't 520 million in spending by 5,000+ departments stimulate the economy more then 210 million by 100 departments?? The AFG spending would have started 6 month's ago rather then SCG which will take how long? LOL, what a joke this reponse is.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

See what you have to do is stop applying common sense and good business practices, and then the whole thing makes sense.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default law of economics

Hey - with those kind of math skills - you should run for GOV of NJ!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Fighting41NY View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't 520 million in spending by 5,000+ departments stimulate the economy more then 210 million by 100 departments?? The AFG spending would have started 6 month's ago rather then SCG which will take how long? LOL, what a joke this reponse is.
    Perhaps skilled trades did a better job at "getting out the vote" than the clothing workers did. Just a thought....

earl

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er View Post
    See what you have to do is stop applying common sense and good business practices, and then the whole thing makes sense.
    Correct. The administration needs to relay to the population the jobs creation from a new project. Not a program that existed in the previous administration. It comes down to what he can claim credit for and he will at some point. (if it proves successful)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fighting41NY View Post
    As I just pointed relayed in the previous post. The SCG belongs to the Obama administration and even though it is far better to stimulate the economy though the AFG program because of it size and that the bulk of equipment is manufactured in the USA, that program belongs to the Bush administration. The only thing Obama is ever going to give Bush credit for is ' Everything that is going wrong is because Bush made it that way.
    Last edited by jam24u; 01-24-2010 at 08:32 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jam24u View Post
    As I just pointed relayed in the previous post. The SCG belongs to the Obama administration and even though it is far better to stimulate the economy though the AFG program because of it size and that the bulk of equipment is manufactured in the USA, that program belongs to the Bush administration. The only thing Obama is ever going to give Bush credit for is ' Everything that is going wrong is because Bush made it that way.
    Well stated!

Thread Information