Thread: 2010.....

MembersZone Subscriber

Default 2010.....

Hello everyone. It’s a brand new year. Hope everyone had a good Christmas and New Years. Time for everyone’s New Year’s resolutions. One of the things that I have vowed to do I take extra effort to help not only the patients and fire victims that I encounter, but I have vowed to do a little extra for my department also. Things like cleaning the station more often, washing the apparatus more often, and taking the extra time and effort to let my fellow firefighters, medics, officers and dispatchers know just how much I appreciate them and that I’m going to try my best to ensure safety at all emergency scenes. According to USFA Firefighters Memorial Database, as of 12/29/2009 there were 93 firefighter fatalities in the United States. To me, that’s 93 to many. Now I know that we cannot control everything that happens (heart attacks, other medical emergencies), but we can take steps to drastically reduce or chances of becoming a victim.

Some things to consider putting extra effort into this year (and yes, most of these are very simple):

Talk with your fellow firefighters/medics and see about implementing some sort of physical fitness program if your department does not already have one. It may be as simple as walking or jogging as a group, doing some PT in the truck bay, or doing some turnout drills. I know some people you will run into will give you excuses as to why they do not wants to PT, but it is for their very own good.

If you see another firefighter/medic seems to be having some personal problems (stress, financial issues, after affects of a bad call, and so forth) take the time to the them know that you are there for them and that his/her brother and sister firefighters are willing to help them anytime they need it. Sometimes just having someone to talk to can make all of the difference.

Make yourself more open to the public. Whether you want to admit it or not, we are still a public organization and we must keep ourselves in touch with the public. The last thing a department needs to do is shut themselves off from the public. Again, this may be an unpopular subject to many people. Visit schools during fire prevention week. Do not make your station look like Fort Knox, totally inaccessible to the public. When you’re dealing with patients or victims of a fire, while remaining professional, let them know that if they need any future help that the department is always going to be there to help them in any way they can. One of the things I see way too much in the fire service today is complete lack of communication with the public. Again, we do work for them.

Does your crew not have anything to do tonight at the station? Why not pull out the old Firefighter Essentials book, the EMT book, or some training aid and review diffent sections involved with your job. It would be a good time to ask questions and brush up on things.

You guys get the idea of what I am trying to say. Let’s try as hard as we can to make 2010 as safe and productive as possible.

You are all my brothers and sisters and I love all of you and take it personal when I hear of a firefighter/medic killed or hurt. We do such a good job of taking care of the public, why not do the same for each other?

Stay safe and always do what is right.

Banned

My new years resolution is to give up eating liver. (I hate liver)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    My new years resolution is to give up eating liver. (I hate liver)
    This is your response Kevin's post? I do think it's going to be a good year!!
    IAFF

Forum Member

Good post Kevin. Well said. My new years resolutions really match up with that. They are to quit smoking (which I'm doing a good job at) and start eorking out and get into shape (that starts on monday.)

Thread Information