Thread: OK, I'll beg

Forum Member

Default OK, I'll beg

Who has an RFP for SCBA they'd be willing to share? If we are awarded this grant it will be our first and having never written anything like this before any guidance I can get would be much appreciated!

Forum Member

OK, let me rephrase this, I have never had to do this for something this big, how technical do I need to be? The only examples I can find on the net read like they were written by a lawyer. All I put in the request details they were to be NFPA 1981, 2007 Edition compliant. Here's one of the examples I found http://www.chattanooga.gov/Files/RFP..._APPARATUS.pdf
    do I need to go into that much detail?

Forum Member

I'm not sure either. I just planned to send an email out to a few of our surrounding vendors informing them that we will be seeking bids, but need to discuss the equipment requirements/occupations first.

I don't want to get too lost into the details over SCBA's

Forum Member

Shoot me an e-mail and I will be happy to share what we did for our bid request letter. It was very simple. theallisonfamily@sbcglobal.net

Forum Member

sent, I guess I should have posted my email, ofpd@firehousemail.com

Forum Member

OsbornFPD, The RFP in your link is from a large department with a city finance department designated to process purchases in this manner. Additionally, it appears that this department is planning to completely eliminate the use of it's existing SCBA's and replace them with the bid winner (trade-in info and initial training). It is my guess that if you compared all the technical data in the RFP with product details from the possible acceptable manufactures you will find that the RFP closely targets a certain manufacturer (I don't know which one). Most likely, due to the potential dollar amount involved, state bid laws and procedure come into play as well.

Obviously through AFG rules, you need to solicit bids from several vendors (ussually at least 3 if possible). Your specific needs can help dictate this process. If your dept already uses a certain manufacturer and model and you are adding to your current units or replacing old SCBA, you may specify this (ABC SCBA, Model xxxx, 0000 PSI, etc) and send the invitation to bid to multiple vendors. Check with your department, or municipal government for their requirements for additional local guidance.

I have a sample from a 2003 AFG grant which we upgraded currently owned SCBA's and equipped every member with a mask and voice amp. Very simply laid out on one page. Send me a PM with a fax # and I will fax it to you.

Forum Member

done, thanks!

Forum Member

Fax sent. PM if you don't receive it.

Forum Member

I'm stayin close to the fire tonight, I'll check when I get to the office in the morning, thanks again!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BCCB View Post
    Fax sent. PM if you don't receive it.
    it was aiting on me when I got there, thanks! Thanks to everybody else who emailed me, I appreciate the guidance!

Thread Information