Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Remounted body with a referb pump

We are looking at an engine with a remounted Ferrara body and a refurbed Hale 1250 pump. Whats some opinions on the refurbed pumps? Not really worried about the body, or should I be?

Talking

The only problem I can think of is what is the definition of "refurbed"
    If the pump was removed and torn down with all parts inspected and bearings and seals replaced with new, thats great, however a refurb could mean they removed it and power washed it and gave it a new coat of paint also. Are they going to supply UL certification from testing the pump? Is there a warrantee?
    The body refurb is a common practice, usually when replacing old steel water tanks with poly and repairing corrosion issues.
    It should also have all emergency lighting brought up to current NFPA 1901 standards.
    Are these components going onto a new or used chassis?

Forum Member

The salesman told us the pump has been torn apart and impellers, etc replaced. It will have a UL and there is a one year pump warranty that comes with it. The body is aluminum and all lights are LED with zone lights, compartment and ground lights. The chassis is a new 08 chassis. Eveything is up to speed with NFPA.

Forum Member

And the tank has been replaced with a poly, dont know what was in it prior.

Quote Originally Posted by islandfire03 View Post
    The only problem I can think of is what is the definition of "refurbed"
    If the pump was removed and torn down with all parts inspected and bearings and seals replaced with new, thats great, however a refurb could mean they removed it and power washed it and gave it a new coat of paint also. Are they going to supply UL certification from testing the pump? Is there a warrantee?
    The body refurb is a common practice, usually when replacing old steel water tanks with poly and repairing corrosion issues.
    It should also have all emergency lighting brought up to current NFPA 1901 standards.
    Are these components going onto a new or used chassis?
    Rebuilt or Remanned? Hehe T.C.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by farmerfire1156 View Post
    The salesman told us the pump has been torn apart and impellers, etc replaced. It will have a UL and there is a one year pump warranty that comes with it. The body is aluminum and all lights are LED with zone lights, compartment and ground lights. The chassis is a new 08 chassis. Eveything is up to speed with NFPA.
    That sounds like a proper rebuild or as TC put it remanufactured, with all new parts.

And the tank has been replaced with a poly, dont know what was in it prior.
    As I said above this is a very common re-use of a good fire body with a steel tank that may have been on it's last legs. Plus the poly tank is lighter in weight and most have a lifetime warrantee.
    As long as you have a good relationship with the vendor you will most likely be buying a good solid vehicle.

A one-year warranty on a completely refurbished pump? Seems kind of cheap to me. If done properly, by competent technicians, I would have no problem offering a longer warranty than one year.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    A one-year warranty on a completely refurbished pump? Seems kind of cheap to me. If done properly, by competent technicians, I would have no problem offering a longer warranty than one year.
    What would be a common warranty for a refurbed pump?

MembersZone Subscriber

As far as the pump, I'd be worried about things you can't see. Is the inside of the volute or other components pitted or damage to the point it could be an issue? Are there any other issues that aren't visible?

What would be a common warranty for a refurbed pump?
    I honestly don't know. But think about how much time a pump spends "in operation." If properly rebuilt, using quality components and done by certified technicians with a fair amount of experience, I would think at LEAST 2-4 years might be called for.

The most crucial components are the shaft bearings (pre-made ball bearings available from any of a number of Mfr's, most likely Timken) and pressing these and the impeller onto the shaft within the critical tolerances, which should be elementary for anyone with fair-to-middlin' knowledge of how to do it. Once you have that licked, the rest should be simple.

Is the transfer case included in the rebuild and the warranty??????

MembersZone Subscriber

A new pump warranty (Hale) is 5 years on material and 2 years on labor. I would think that a remanned should be 2 or 3 years on parts and 1 year on labor. Buff is correct on the gearbox. They get alot of wear and tear on them. I would see if you can get the pump records for the pump, that includes test and any work that was done to the pump since new.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Is the transfer case included in the rebuild and the warranty??????
    I am not sure, but will check. I also ask the builder to include the documentation on the refurb of the pump.

In all this, we are trying to save money and truthfully this truck and another remount was all I could find in our price range. Additionally with all the emission changes and costs associated with that, we could not even begin to spec one and knew we could not

I am not sure, but will check. I also ask the builder to include the documentation on the refurb of the pump.

In all this, we are trying to save money and truthfully this truck and another remount was all I could find in our price range. Additionally with all the emission changes and costs associated with that, we could not even begin to spec one and knew we could not
    There is certainly nothing wrong with buying used, especially properly refurbished used. I would just want to maximize my dollars, hence the questioning the 1-year warranty for the pump.

Forum Member

Be sure the pump gear case is compatible with the new drive train. Newer drive trains typically have more torque and horsepower. Get the pump serial number and call the pump manufacturer. Explain what you are attempting to accomplish. They will tell you if you have a compatible combination.

Quote Originally Posted by geezer250 View Post
    Be sure the pump gear case is compatible with the new drive train. Newer drive trains typically have more torque and horsepower. Get the pump serial number and call the pump manufacturer. Explain what you are attempting to accomplish. They will tell you if you have a compatible combination.
    I would hope a competant manufacterer would have checked into this before offering the truck for sale, especialy with a warranty.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Thread Information