Forum Member

Default St.Petersburg College Fire Academy

I was wondering what everyone's opinion was on this academy. I was looking at starting their full time academy in August. Thanks

Forum Member

I just went there last year and loved it. They definitely prepare you for the fire service. They are a little expensive, about $3500 compared to $2500-3200 at HCC. (HCC allows you to buy your own gear, so you can save money by buying used) They really run it like a para-military organization, just like the regular fire service. You will have physical fitness stuff 2-3 times a week and will wear a uniform and stand at attention anytime someone walks in the room.

HCC is a lot more relaxed and doesn't do anything outside of the state curriculum, from what I hear. SPC has a great maze to train in, we did a flash over trailer live burn, firefighter safety & rescue, and a lot more than a friend of mine did at HCC.

You won't regret going there, although there's no reason to pick one college over the next. As long as you get your state certification, you'll be ok.

Forum Member

Thanks for the info Trained. They do not have dormtories for the fire academy students do they? Just started looking for apartments in the area hopefully I will find one..

Forum Member

Yah it's definitely the better academy in the area, other than ocala. They have more live burns, which also contributes to the higher tuition price. But once finished, they leave their doors open for advice and practice if necessary.

Look on craigslist! I found my apartment on the beach for only $700 a month there.

Lastly, make sure you prepare for the academy. Don't show up out of shape with poor study habits, because this academy, unlike others, requires an 80% to pass each test. And you can only fail 1 test, after that, if you fail another, retake or not, you're done.

Good Luck

Forum Member

Alrite thanks. What all is on the cpat to get in? And also what does their Pt consist of? I am currently in emt-a school right now, but it is in another state, so I would have to get that to transfer. But thanks for the replies everyone I appreciate it..

Forum Member

Just a note I would also check into tuition on the academy that your going to, some not saying all have a price for a person that is considered out of state or until the have been in Florida for a year than what a resident will pay.

Forum Member

fwiw, you can't compare spc to the hcc part time class. if you compare spc to hcc full time class, I would guess you would find it more similar (based on trained's post and my experience at hcc). personally I would go wherever was most convenient/cheapest. a state cert is a state cert, I highly doubt you will find anyone who cares where you went to academy, with a possible slight exception for ocala, though probably not. good luck.

Forum Member

What do most guys do while their waiting for the academy to start and while their in? Would working as an EMT be looked down at when I go to get a job or does it not bother too many dept.s?

Forum Member

imo, no one should be hired at an fd without some kind of experience (ambulance, hospital, volunteer, etc.) I can't see any reason that having experience doing the job you're applying to do would hurt you.

Forum Member

I would like to volunteer while I am in the academy,but I didn't think they would allow me to since I wouldn't be certified in Fla yet. I am certified in another state right now so I have fire expierence and currently in my last few weeks of emt-iv

Forum Member

There was a guy in my academy who volunteered with Pinellas Suncoast FR. They basically put him through orientation and let him train with them until he was Florida certified.

Forum Member

Yah you can officially volunteer after fire 1 cert, which is only about a month to a month and a half after the academy starts.

Forum Member

Thanks for the information guys I appreciate it.

Forum Member

Volunteering in Pinellas county is still hard to get into since Pinellas Suncoast is the only place this still has volunteers.

Anyways, i went through the academy Sept-Dec 08, and i enjoyed every bit of it. Although i heard they finally upgraded to the new IFSTA book which added like another 200 pages.

You can expect to be very busy in the Academy. If you are financially able to, i would just concentrate on the Academy and not have to work. I had to work weekends when i went though, so i didnt have a day off for 3 months straight. Mon-Fri academy, then Sat-Sun work.
    "You haven't lived until you've found something worth dying for."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Firedogg81 View Post
    Alrite thanks. What all is on the cpat to get in? And also what does their Pt consist of? I am currently in emt-a school right now, but it is in another state, so I would have to get that to transfer. But thanks for the replies everyone I appreciate it..
    Have you ever seen the Combat challenge? Its pretty much exactly the same thing.
    You wear a bunker jacket, composite bottle, helmet and gloves.

1.Highrise pack over the shoulder, climb 5 flights of stairs.
    2. Set highrise pack down, then pull 50lb hose bundle on a rope up and over ledge.
    3.Go down stairs, walk to forcible entry sled, hit 5 feet.
    4.Walk around tower, grab charged hoseline, walk 100 feet, show water.
    5.Set down hose, walk to 165lb dummy, drag dummy 100 feet.

Time stops when the dummy crosses the line. I believe they give you 7 mins to do it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by v0lcomjake View Post
    Volunteering in Pinellas county is still hard to get into since Pinellas Suncoast is the only place this still has volunteers.

Anyways, i went through the academy Sept-Dec 08, and i enjoyed every bit of it. Although i heard they finally upgraded to the new IFSTA book which added like another 200 pages.
    did treasure island stop their vol program? also, I thought the "new" ifsta book didn't change anything except add first responder material.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by reebokHCFR View Post
    did treasure island stop their vol program? also, I thought the "new" ifsta book didn't change anything except add first responder material.
    I havent heard of Treasure island doing volunteer for a long time. Indian rocks aka Pinellas suncoast is the only one in Pinellas county.

I havent seen the new IFSTA book, so im not sure what was changed, but i was told by Chief Terry that it was bigger with a lot more material.

Thread Information