Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default Looking for new SCBA

Well, my dept. is looking for new SCBA and I would like to hear what yall have to say about the different models that are out there. We are currently using MSA. What do you have and what do you like or not like about yours.

Scott.

/thread.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

I agree that Scott would be my first choice.

Although, we do have MSA FireHawks at work and if I couldn't have my Scott I could be satisfied with these.
    “The person who risks nothing, does nothing, has nothing, is nothing, and becomes nothing. He may avoid suffering and sorrow, but he simply cannot learn and feel and change and grow and love and live.” Leo F. Buscaglia

This place gets weirder and weirder every day...

After being involved in and reviewing incidents where Scott SCBA and facepieces were subjected to rediclous amounts on heat and stress, I put full confidence in them. I have seen Scott packs come out looking like hell but still working just fine.

Hard to beat real world evidence.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

MSA.

However, we just received a FireAct grant for 36 new packs. We are looking at Scott and they will go on our engines, heavy rescue and primary service truck. The compliant MSAs currently in service will go on the tanker and the other less used service trucks.

I prefer Scott.

When we took over the equipment at the National Guard facility, they had Scotts. Many of our members had never used Scott and were diehard MSA guys. There are several that now prefer the Scotts, which is why we are contemplating a switch.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    After being involved in and reviewing incidents where Scott SCBA and facepieces were subjected to rediclous amounts on heat and stress, I put full confidence in them. I have seen Scott packs come out looking like hell but still working just fine.

Hard to beat real world evidence.
    What specific model, newer or older packs?

The people typing Scotts. Why? Just saying which brand does not help if you don't reason your decision.

I have used Scotts, MSA, Survive Air and a Draeger (once). NO to the Survive Air, just not a well built pack, lots of cheap parts. And not a fan of the Draeger either, buy American.

I liked both Scotts and MSA, though not a fan of the Scotts second stage regulator, very bulky and don't like it vibrating. Guess you're not supposed to like it, you are to avoid it vibrating huh?

Quote Originally Posted by farmerfire1156 View Post
    What specific model, newer or older packs?
    Both the 2.2 and 4.5 packs. I have zero expirience with the newer NXG2 packs. Recently during a training burn one of my fellow instrutors was involved in a flash fire due a a contaminated pallet. His AV3000 facepeice was severly bubbled and deformed, but did not lose integrity.

This is why my vote goes to Scott.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by FiremanLyman View Post
    The people typing Scotts. Why? Just saying which brand does not help if you don't reason your decision.

I have used Scotts, MSA, Survive Air and a Draeger (once). NO to the Survive Air, just not a well built pack, lots of cheap parts. And not a fan of the Draeger either, buy American.

I liked both Scotts and MSA, though not a fan of the Scotts second stage regulator, very bulky and don't like it vibrating. Guess you're not supposed to like it, you are to avoid it vibrating huh?
    The second stage regulator is in the regulator on your back. The primary and secondary are together and the secondary is automatically redundant to the primary. If the primary fails the secondary takes over and the low air alarm sounds. The face piece regulator is NOT the secondary regulator.

I have been a Scott user since 1977 and that was with the Scott Pak 1, then we got Pak II's, updated to Pak IIa's, then 2.2's, and now AP50's. This is all on my volly FD.

On my career FD we started out with the belt mounted regulator MSA's, which frankly I hated, the regulators and face piece exhalation valves froze up in the winter. They were uncomfortable to wear. We now have FireHawks which if I can;t have my Scott AP50 I would happily accept. Light, comfortable, and so far no freezing problems.

I could be happy with either one of them.
    “The person who risks nothing, does nothing, has nothing, is nothing, and becomes nothing. He may avoid suffering and sorrow, but he simply cannot learn and feel and change and grow and love and live.” Leo F. Buscaglia

This place gets weirder and weirder every day...

I only have used draegers, so I guess I am kind of biased.

Pros-Ease of use, hooking regulator is just like eating an apple. Now I know this varies upon particular models, but the ones we have are comfortable and this is with aluminum bottles. Very simple.

Cons-Not American made. Crappy low presure alarm. In our particular models, they are a little older, it is harder than hell to change out bottles. The threads on the bottles are getting worn due to cross-threading, and the bottle not threading well.

I have seen the scotts in use, it looks like the regulator almost gets in the way. And the HUD is directly in front. I think the MSA's may be to the side?

I started on the SCOTT II's, the old pressure demand system and the heavy steel tanks. They worked good and were totally durable. We then went to MSA with the elephant trunk face piece hose and the hip regulator that froze all the time. We went back to SCOTT and currently have the SCOTT 2.2's.

I personally prefer SCOTT because of better face piece visibility, completely durable, redundant safety systems, and their reputation of customer support. If NASA trusts them, I think that's good enough for me.

I also think it has a lot to do with what you are familiar with and what you were trained on too.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Got ya beat Dickey. We had a pair of 1's. The 2A was a UPGRADE! then into the REAL Scotts which we are using to this day. T.C.

Got ya beat Dickey. We had a pair of 1's. The 2A was a UPGRADE! then into the REAL Scotts which we are using to this day. T.C.
    They worked ok except for that heavy steel tank!
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

MembersZone Subscriber

I've been in my department for six years, we have never used anything other then scott. Our department sees our share of structure fires and CO emergencies and we also have a major highway that we cover approx 7-10 miles so we also see our share of car fires and the scott packs have never failed us once.

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post
    They worked ok except for that heavy steel tank!
    FACT spoken! I still have a few steels(In storage)you WANT one for Old times sake? hehe T..

FACT spoken! I still have a few steels(In storage)you WANT one for Old times sake? hehe T..
    Actually, I think it would be good for the newbies to understand how good they have it.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

We run MSA Firehawks. I had the wire rip right out of the PASS during a routine inspection. MSA was very good about replacing it.
    FF/Paramedic

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post
    Actually, I think it would be good for the newbies to understand how good they have it.
    It is without a doubt an eye opener!
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

Brother Tim...

Brother Harve Woods has you beat.. he came on the job in the days when SCBA was called SGBF.... Self Grown Beard Filter!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber JohnVBFD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FiremanLyman View Post
    NO to the Survive Air, just not a well built pack, lots of cheap parts.
    Have had exactly the opposite experience with Survive Air.

Again, I don't care who makes the pack, Scott, MSA, Survive Air, Dragear (sp?), Intersprio. If the pack is beat up in excessive amounts (IE- how many sailors treat the Scott SCBA), not maintained or cared for, they will break.

I am sure some have more QA issues than others. Not going to deny that. But every maker has a few lemons that make it through

I am sorry your experience wasn't a good one with Survive Air, our here in the Beach has not been all that unpleasent. Good customer service. Quick turn around times, light weight.

Dickey Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rescue101

Here for RIT training, we actually use old steel tanks in the fields for all the various pulls we are taught. This way the person is heavier and the tank has a tendancy to dig into the ground. It was really a pain doing the Denver drill with the steel bottles, but hey. I like difficult training. Makes the real thing easier.
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

Thread Information