Forum Member

Default Novelty lighter ban vetoed by Ahhnorld

Is it true that arnold vetoed a "novelty" lighter ordinance in CA ? I realize a ban is not a creall by any means , but to me ita a no brainer.

Forum Member

Forum Member

unbelievable -- thank you for the link.

Forum Member

what a joke, a definite friend to the Fire Service this man they call aahhhnnollddd...

Forum Member

I don't see what is so bad. Just like stated in the letter, a lighter, whether novelty or not, can start a fire. There is no evidence a novelty lighter will cause a fire anymore than a non-novelty lighter.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor61 View Post
    I don't see what is so bad. Just like stated in the letter, a lighter, whether novelty or not, can start a fire. There is no evidence a novelty lighter will cause a fire anymore than a non-novelty lighter.
    I think the jist of why everyone is P/oed is that a kid would be more prone to playwith something that looked like a toy. But kids have been playing with lighters for ever so does it really matter?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JMac73 View Post
    I think the jist of why everyone is P/oed is that a kid would be more prone to playwith something that looked like a toy. But kids have been playing with lighters for ever so does it really matter?
    Exactly. Also with no dual way to have to activate it (Bic has a spring you have to depress to get the flint to spark) it just increases the chance for children to "see the sparks" and start a fire, that is the stinking reason the safety mechanisms where put there to begin with!

Forum Member

what is so bad. Just like stated in the letter, a lighter, whether novelty or not, can start a fire. There is no evidence a novelty lighter will cause a fire anymore than a non-novelty lighter.

Actually, there is quite a bit of evidence that they are more drawn to it and more likley to play with it.

It actually is a VERY significant issue.

Forum Member

Gee, here's a thought. Maybe instead of banning lighters, we should ban morons from procreating. Its not the lighters fault. If their parents were a little more attentive, maybe their kid wouldn't be going around blowing up the house.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Gee - heres another thought - people have been having kids since the begining of time - proably gonna be a little easier to ban a certain type of lighter. Out of curosity - does the phrase "tools not toys " ring a bell ?
    I dont really think any body's quality of life will really be diminished if the cant buy a Chinese lighter shaped like a bull frog.

Thread Information