Thread: Wtc News

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

Default Wtc News

NY Daily News -- Death of 9/11/01 Firefighter Jim Ryan
    They didn't find that out until early Christmas morning 2009, eight years later, when the firefighter's lungs finally overfilled with fluids, the side-effects of pancreatic cancer inflicted on him by the toxic dust he swallowed in hundreds of hours at WTC Ground Zero.

Ryan answered the call of duty on 9/11/01, then went beyond, returning to the blasted ground for months. First, he hunted survivors, then victims, then just fragments of people - his FDNY brothers among them - whose lives and bodies were shattered that day.

He didn't realize how his own life was being shattered. Officials said the air was safe. He got cancer in 2006 that the Fire Department said came from the poison rubble. He beat it once. He couldn't beat it a second time, as a 48-year-old father of three.

On Christmas Eve, he tried to be himself, optimistic, helping with the morning dishes in his Kings Park, L.I., home as if he were not dying. By then, though, he had been off his cancer treatments since November because they no longer worked.

"That's just the way he is," his wife, Magda, said Christmas night, hours after her husband lost his final struggle.

That's the way most real heroes are, but there were no national headlines the next day mourning a hero firefighter's death, the way there were on Sept. 12, 2001, when 343 of Ryan's brethren met their ends.

The news yesterday was instead full of a botched airline terror attempt.

According to the reports, a young Nigerian man on a plane landing in Detroit had attempted to set ablaze chemicals taped to his leg. He burned himself, and achieved an effect like popping firecrackers before a passenger tackled him.

A flash and some smoke and some fear, and the whole world cared.

The suspected terrorist failed. He killed no one, unlike the monsters of 9/11, whose grim tally keeps climbing. Now including James Ryan.

He is a victim of the same killers who slammed the planes into the twin towers, the same killers who may be behind the Detroit flameout.

Yet for him, and for other recent 9/11 casualties like the NYPD's James Zadroga and the FDNY's John McNamara, our attention and care is selective. They didn't die amid the first flash and fire and fear, and are not being treated the same. Their families are not getting the help their predecessors in death got.

There is an answer. There is an attempt to make our nation care - a bill in Congress named after Zadroga that would spend $11 billion over 30 years to help Magda Ryan support her children as a single mother, and help thousands of other first responders, construction workers, clergy and volunteers who are ill and suffering the mounting effects of the worst terror attack in U.S. history.

But like the rest of America, Congress is distracted by flashier things. Those who responded on 9/11 - there are some 60,000 whose health is being monitored across most of the nation - are not a top priority.

The latest politician to put them on the back burner is New Jersey Rep. Frank Pallone, who promised in September to bring up the bill in his subcommittee in October. He never did. The Daily News asked three times what happened. Pallone's office answered twice that they'd look into it.

We're still waiting, and so are the ailing heroes of Sept.11, and the spouses and children of the dead and dying, because Jim Ryan will not be the last victim of Sept. 11.
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

New York, NY – On Tuesday January 5th 2010 , 9/11/01 first responders and elected officials will gather near Ground Zero to read the names of more than one hundred 9/11 responders and others who have died of illnesses caused by the attacks. Tuesday is the fourth anniversary of the death of NYPD Detective James Zadroga, the first 9/11 responder whose death was officially linked to his work at Ground Zero.

On Christmas day, FDNY hero and 9/11 responder Jim Ryan passed away of cancer caused by the 9/11 attacks, making him the latest victim of a health crisis that has been ignored by Washington for far too long. The 9/11 responders and others will demand passage of the federal James Zadroga 9/11 Health and Compensation Act, which will provide long-overdue help to those who are suffering with illnesses caused by the attacks.

WHO: Fealgood Foundation; NYC Firefighter Brotherhood Foundation; 9/11 Police Aid Foundation; elected officials; loved ones of 9/11 responders who have passed away

WHAT: Gathering of 9/11 responders to read the names of those who have died of illnesses caused by the 9/11 attacks

WHEN: Tuesday, January 5th

11:00am

WHERE: Plaza in front of 7 World Trade Center

Greenwich and Vesey Streets, Lower Manhattan
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Thanks for the update, Ray (Merry Christmas & Happy New Year by the way).

I'll post the rally info on my Facebook.

Why didn't you put these posts in your other WTC thread?
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

Becuase in all thier infinite wisdom the Webteam closed it.

Thanks for the updates.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Yeah, I figured that out yesterday. It's ridiculous!

Surely a STICKY thread with updates regarding the murder of 343 (plus) BROTHERS would warrant an exception to the 60 day rule.

Webteam, please reopen the old thread and move Ray's newest updates over there!

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

January 6, 2010 -- A hundred first responders gathered at Ground Zero Tuesday to honor the first person to die of 9/11/01-related illness - and to push for the health care bill that bears his name. The rally to push the 9/11 Health and Compensation Act to a congressional vote took place on the fourth anniversary of NYPD Detective James Zadroga's death. "Redundancy, poor leadership, neglect and denial are all illnesses killing 9/11 first responders today," said John Feal, head of the Feal Good Foundation, which works to help those suffering from 9/11/01-related ailments. The James Zadroga bill would put $11 billion toward monitoring and treatment. Rep. Carolyn Maloney (D-Manhattan), one of the bill's sponsors, called the lack of federal support for 9/11 responders irresponsible. "We do not want to be here for another anniversary of James Zadroga's death," she said. "Thousands lost their lives on 9/11, but thousands more lost their health."
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

First Responders Want Aid for 9/11 Illnesses
    January 07, 2010 NEW YORK-- Four years ago this day, NYPD detective James Zadroga passed away. His death was the first 9/11 responder death that was officially linked to working at ground zero in the aftermath of the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks.

A commemoration for his death took place near ground zero on Tuesday. Members of the 9/11 Police Aid Foundation, the NYC Firefighter Brotherhood Foundation, and the FealGood Foundation gathered together to read approximately 100 names of 9/11 responders who have died as a result of illnesses that occurred after doing rescue and recovery operations in the rubble of the World Trade Center.

One of the main reasons for the gathering was not just for the memorial of responders who died due to the aftermath of 9/11, but to support H.R. 847, the James Zadroga Health & Compensation Act, in the the U.S. House of Representatives.

James Zadroga was 34 when he died on Jan. 5, 2006, due to respiratory problems that resulted from doing about 400 hours of work near the remains of the World Trade Center.

“Our ranks are being decimated,” said Kenny Specht, an FDNY cancer survivor, who contracted cancer as a result of doing rescue operations at ground zero. “We are worth the 30 years of comprehensive medical monitoring this bill will provide for,” he said.

“We must pass this bill,” said one of the main sponsors of the bill, Democratic Representative Carolyn Maloney. The bill is “the least we can do” to support the recovery workers at ground zero, she added.

The bill gives additional health care to people directly impacted by ground zero like recovery workers, cleanup workers, and occupants who live and work around the site. Also included in the bill is compensation for individuals affected directly by ground zero. Currently, ground zero workers have not received any compensation from the government.

“I hope we can finally pass comprehensive 9/11 health legislation before any more names are added to the list of those who died from 9/11-related illnesses,” said Rep. Maloney.

One of the most recent victims of long-term health damage, FDNY firefighter Jim Ryan, died on Christmas Day due to pancreatic cancer contracted from working at ground zero for three months, reported Firefighter Hourly.

John Feal, chair of the nonprofit FealGood Foundation, said, “We're not going to play dead. We're going to fight.” The FealGood Foundation aims to raise awareness of the health problems suffered by 9/11 first responders. “While the moral compass points south in Washington, ours is righteous. We will continue to fight,” said Feal.

“I still have to answer to my granddaughter,” said former North Arlington Police Chief Joe Zadroga. “She asks me why did he [James Zadroga] have to go? He went because he felt it was his duty,” said Zadroga, who thinks there should be a “compensation fund for civilians” who suffer from severe health problems due to ground zero work.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Forum Member

Brothers and Sisters... support H.R. 847, the James Zadroga Health & Compensation Act, in the the U.S. House of Representatives.

Call your Congressman, have your friends and relatives call your Congressman, let's get this passed to support our Brothers and Sisters!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    Brothers and Sisters... support H.R. 847, the James Zadroga Health & Compensation Act, in the the U.S. House of Representatives.

Call your Congressman, have your friends and relatives call your Congressman, let's get this passed to support our Brothers and Sisters!
    THANKS Gonzo
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

MembersZone Subscriber

E40FDNY, has there been a finding or determination as to what types of Cancers have or are likely to result from 911? Similar to what cancers are Workers Comp covered in many jurisdictions?

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

Quote Originally Posted by BryanLoader View Post
    E40FDNY, has there been a finding or determination as to what types of Cancers have or are likely to result from 911? Similar to what cancers are Workers Comp covered in many jurisdictions?
    Bryan that is a complicated question. if you take a overlook of fdny pre 9-11-01 to post 9-11-01 there is a huge increase of cancer and lung problems after.

Just an FYI --I have stage 4 kidney cancer which metastasize to my hip and femour. I am not covered line of duty, even if I had 1000 hrs on the pile.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

Default Two victims identified in New York from 9/11/01 attacks

GOOD NEWS --May they now rest in peace

January 7, 2010 -- Two more victims of the September 11, 2001, attacks have been identified through DNA tests of human remains from the World Trade Center site, the New York City medical examiner's office said on Thursday. Two women were identified by referencing DNA from the remains with a database of DNA profiles from victims of the attack, said Ellen Borakove, a medical examiner's spokeswoman. The families requested their names not be released. More than eight years after two jetliners crashed into the World Trade Center killing 2,759 people in New York, including the 10 hijackers aboard the planes, 8,976 human remains are still being tested in order to be linked to a victim. Of the 21,744 remains uncovered since 2001, 59 percent have been identified, corresponding to 1,626 of the 2,749 dead. The victims whose remains were not matched to remains received a death certificate stating they were homicide victims, but the body had not been found. Remains can be identified through markings such as tattoos, dental X-rays or DNA testing, among other things. "One by one, the numbers (of identifications) are going up," said Borakove, and thanks to regular improvements in DNA extraction, "we are constantly working to identify the remains."

Since January 2006, 25 victims were matched to remains.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by E40FDNYL35 View Post
    Bryan that is a complicated question. if you take a overlook of fdny pre 9-11-01 to post 9-11-01 there is a huge increase of cancer and lung problems after.

Just an FYI --I have stage 4 kidney cancer which metastasize to my hip and femour. I am not covered line of duty, even if I had 1000 hrs on the pile.
    That is absolutely deplorable and just plain wrong. I had thought there was a finding regards cancers and respiratory diseases related to contact with contaminants from 911, but I may and probably am mistaken. Thanks for maintaining the vigil and may God walk with you.

Forum Member

That is excellent news and the families have some closure now.

May they rest peacefully in the arms of the angels.

Ron, is it ok if I borrow this for Facebook? Not sure if it does any good, but I posted the rally a few times and this would be a good follow up. Worth a shot, anyway.

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

Sheri... do it...

Originally Posted by E40FDNYL35

Ray.. I am saddened to hear about your news. I have tears in my eyes as I type this.
    The difference between you and others here is... if you were presented with the horrors of that day all over again.. you would be on the pile without question.

You, sir.. have my utmost respect.. I am deeply honored to call you my friend and will keep you in my thoughts.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Ray...I share Gonz's feelings. I read that and my heart sank. It both saddens me and angers me. You have my highest respect sir and I thank you for all your support and everything you have done for FDNY and for the fire service as a whole.

We need to get this bill passed...it's just common sense to take care of the people that take care of you.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by E40FDNYL35 View Post
    I couldn't believe this when I read it the other day. I know you weren't looking for sympathy when posting that, but if there is anything you need, let me know brother!

WEBTEAM: Why in the hell would you have closed the original WTC thread???!!!!
    Especially without your obligatory "this thread has been inactive for 60 days" crap.

MembersZone Subscriber

You know what?

I am also compelled to say that of all the websites out there, the rallying cry of "Never Forget" has been silenced on firehouse.com.

We have a member on this forum who provides updates for all to see. A member who was there. Who spent countless hours at the pile digging and sifting. And while the updates do not come at regular and less than 60 day intervals, you in all your benevolent wisdom shut down the very thread that this member updates those of us out here who will Never Forget.

A whole new thread had to be started? Come on! Meanwhile, the original thread slowly fades and drifts to the bottom of the list.

Never Forget indeed.
    Last edited by ffbam24; 01-12-2010 at 06:01 PM.

Forum Member

Default I agree!

Funny (yeah, not really) how I saw a thread from 2007 get bumped the other day with a new reply. hmmmm and yet a STICKY THREAD about the WTC gets closed ... once again, I'm obligated to express my disbelief at this decision by the webteam to close it. I was beginning to think it was a computer-generated thing, but there are much older threads still active that are meaningless, especially compared to this.

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Ray,

I too am deeply saddened by your news. My thoughts and prayers are with you as well as my outrage at a system that seems to pick and choose who they care for in the aftermath of 9/11.

I agree totally with Gonzo's sentments. You are a true BROTHER in every sense of the word. And I know that if such a situation occured again YOU WOULD BE THERE because you know there is no where else you could be.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Thread Information