Forum Member

Default Used Tank Needed

Looking for a used tank to go on a tanker. Preferably 1800 gallons and elliptical but anything would be considered. Any suggestions on where I might find used tanks would be great.

Forum Member

Talking

You can check with any of the used apparatus dealers That might have an old chassis with one they are parting out, but the odds are slim on finding a GOOD used tank by itself.

A new poly elliptical isn't that much money and comes with a lifetime warrantee.

If you do find a used tank , make sure it is fully baffled and meets NFPA specs.
    Last edited by islandfire03; 01-03-2010 at 10:24 AM.

Forum Member

Home built tankers really make me shudder. I hope they are doing it correctly.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    me too. 1800 gallon tank is about 15,000lbs worth of water.

MembersZone Subscriber

There's days I'd take a home-built tanker and a guy driving it that knows what he's doing and takes his time getting to the fire over a manufactured one with a kid that just got through EVOC, though.

There's definitely a lot of things we need to look at changing in the fire service, it's just a shame the money's not there to do it in a lot of cases.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    There's days I'd take a home-built tanker and a guy driving it that knows what he's doing and takes his time getting to the fire over a manufactured one with a kid that just got through EVOC, though.
    Thats the problem, there are not that many of the above out there.....And the home-brew tanker has to be built PROPERLY!!! (correct size chassis, brakes, suspension, weights taken into account when concerning size of petroleum-based product tank that is now hauling water, etc etc etc etc.......

MembersZone Subscriber

Thats the problem, there are not that many of the above out there.....And the home-brew tanker has to be built PROPERLY!!! (correct size chassis, brakes, suspension, weights taken into account when concerning size of petroleum-based product tank that is now hauling water, etc etc etc etc.......
    Won't argue with you for the most part, and we've had many a discussion about it.

What really scares me is the home-built tankers with kids driving them. There's far too many small departments building tankers by whatever means they can afford then sticking a kid behind the wheel. That's a disaster looking for a place to happen.

Forum Member

don't think kids are the only danger, any inexperienced emergency vehicle operator is a danger. people with experience in other big trucks may be lulled into a sense of security and not realize the dangers of a vehicle hauling water.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    don't think kids are the only danger, any inexperienced emergency vehicle operator is a danger. people with experience in other big trucks may be lulled into a sense of security and not realize the dangers of a vehicle hauling water.
    That's true. A lot of those people around here are "kids" to me. Guess I'm grouping a batch of people into that category.

Forum Member

I have a new "T" UPF available with a lifetime warranty. Its 1200 water and 60 foam. Let me know if interested.

Correction: 1250 water and 10 foam!
    Last edited by JREGANGFA; 01-04-2010 at 11:26 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by sixfortyone View Post
    Looking for a used tank to go on a tanker. Preferably 1800 gallons and elliptical but anything would be considered. Any suggestions on where I might find used tanks would be great.
    If you're starting from scratch (not trying to squeeze a tank inside an existing body) the least expensive route I'd suggest is using 3x DOD pods. See link below.

These are great tanks. 600gal aluminum. 6'wide, 5'long with interlocking lugs on the skids, Skids are aprox 6" wide and located at truck frame width (35"). Large manhole so you can get inside and install baffles (highly recommended for at least one for side to side). Drain/valve is 4" elbow that reduces to 2" camlock so you'll want to change that to a 4" elbow to your discharge point.

Many regularily available thru DOD surplus and your state forester can obtain for you.

http://www.govliquidation.com/auctio...&convertTo=USD

Forum Member

I thought I should post a reply since I have noticed that the firehouse police are out patrolling my thread. First off neither my self nor my department are having anything to do with the building of this tanker a regional apparatus builder will be doing all construction. Next we already had a suitable cab and chassis of which its weight capacity, breaks, and suspension have been taken into consideration when trying to decide a maximum tank size. Finally we have priced several new fire service tanks and were only looking at the possibility of using a used FIRE SERVICE tank to save money do to our tight budget keep in mind though not now or ever have we considered using any tank that was not designed to be used on a fire apparatus. That rant being said if there is anyone who could lend Ideas of where we could get a tank at a reasonable price feel free to post and positive constructive comments will be appreciated.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sixfortyone View Post
    I thought I should post a reply since I have noticed that the firehouse police are out patrolling my thread. First off neither my self nor my department are having anything to do with the building of this tanker a regional apparatus builder will be doing all construction. Next we already had a suitable cab and chassis of which its weight capacity, breaks, and suspension have been taken into consideration when trying to decide a maximum tank size. Finally we have priced several new fire service tanks and were only looking at the possibility of using a used FIRE SERVICE tank to save money do to our tight budget keep in mind though not now or ever have we considered using any tank that was not designed to be used on a fire apparatus. That rant being said if there is anyone who could lend Ideas of where we could get a tank at a reasonable price feel free to post and positive constructive comments will be appreciated.
    As opposed to comments that were made due to a lack of given information by the original poster? Information that came from several members on here who have knowledge of heavy trucks, driving and operating all kinds of fire apparatus, as well as a broad knowledge of what happens if you do it wrong?

The original post: Looking for a used tank to go on a tanker. Preferably 1800 gallons and elliptical but anything would be considered. Any suggestions on where I might find used tanks would be great.

Perhaps next time, you might consider: "Looking for a used fire-service type water tank, preferably elliptical. The chassis and driveline which we want to mount it on will safely accept approximately 1800 gallons. Any leads appreciated."

Too many home-made tankers, which evolved from heating oil delivery trucks, have ended up on their sides with the crew in traction. We just didn't want to see that happen to you. Here forward I will refrain from assisting you. Good Luck.

Forum Member

Not to mention that a USED FS tank MAY NOT be acceptable under current regulations for a REMOUNT.Now we HAVE one of those Uberdangerous converted Oil tanks(substantially modified)currently in service but we KNOW it's limitations and have a select group that drive it. Our neighbors have one with two of the DOD pods on it,again it seems to stay on the rubber. UPF tanks are pretty reasonable,SAFE, and can be had in about any required configuration EXCEPT vaccum. Not knowing what your budget is I don't know if that's a workable answer. They make a good product AND stand behind it. T.C.

Thread Information