Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Question 2010 EPA engines VS 2007 EPA

Do you know if available, can you use a 2007 EPA certified engine in a 2010 model year tuck with AFG? Wanting to know for bid specs...

Talking

Some manufacturers stockpiled 07 engines and prebuilt chassis's. They are allowed to use up existing stock. Don't know if you can spec it since you don't know when the awards will be given out. You might not have an award in time to get one. You could put in your spec " If available a 2007 engine is requested , but no guarantees on getting one.

I did hear from a rep recently that Spartan might have some 07 Cat engines available.
    Last edited by islandfire03; 01-03-2010 at 10:18 AM. Reason: added additional sentence

I wrote my specs requiring a pre-2007 chassis, which at the end of 2006 was a requirement every vendor said they could meet.

When it got to build time, they no longer had a 2 door cab, which was speced. They offered
    a 4 door cab - for 7k extra.

In the end, I ended up with a 4 door cab, which was the best thing I ever did. I also got the engine I wanted, before the 2007 standards went into effect.

And no, I did not pay that 7k.

Forum Member

IMO, I do not think that Emergency vehicles should adhere to the emission changes, but I know that the chassis manufacturers are not going to leave 1 line dedicated to just emergency vehicles. Its hard enough to find the funds to come up with an additional $15k. Since 07, emmission changes have increased the costs of apparatus to nearly $35-40k. Just posting my thoughts, I probably missed the thread for ranting against the new emmissions.

Quote Originally Posted by farmerfire1156 View Post
    IMO, I do not think that Emergency vehicles should adhere to the emission changes, but I know that the chassis manufacturers are not going to leave 1 line dedicated to just emergency veh..
    Emergency vehicles are a very small portion of the total output from the engine manufacturers. 2010 emission requirements have led to Cat & detroit diesel pulling out of the market. Pierce has a deal with DD, but they are actually Mercedes engines.

This leaves Cummins , Mercedes[ freightliner] and IH which has partnered with Mann diesel of Germany to use an advanced EGR system to eliminate the need for urea exhaust fluid injection to meet the new EPA regs.
    It will be interesting to see where this all shakes out in the heavy truck diesel market and the emergency vehicle market.
    Then you have the custom chassis manufacturers that have had to redesign the cabs and chassis designs to fit in the additional cooling requirements and exhaust system DPF filters Required to meet the new standards.

Forum Member

I tried to figure in the cost of the new emissions in my request. I'm afraid that once (if) the grant gods bless us, the mfr. that we decide to go with will not have any pre-'10 chassis left to work with.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fatman22 View Post
    I tried to figure in the cost of the new emissions in my request. I'm afraid that once (if) the grant gods bless us, the mfr. that we decide to go with will not have any pre-'10 chassis left to work with.
    Thus making it almost impossible to complete the grant if funded and if your dept is in the shape ours is in.

MembersZone Subscriber

There have been a number of manufacturers that have at least tried to stock up on the '09 engines, at least for custom chassis. My career department has been in the purchasing process for a new aerial that'll have a 500 hp Cummins in it, and both dealers we've talked to have given us the "we should have an '09 engine, but we can't guarantee anything."

The biggest issue I'm going to see is from those looking to get a commercial cab. I'm sure the trucking companies have been trying to get a lot of their upgrades in before the new engines are required. That doesn't leave a lot out there. The saving grace may be if you can find someone that has stocked up on commercial chassis, or can find a dealer somewhere that has what you want on the lot with the right wheelbase and everything.

To be honest, everyone who wrote an apparatus grant should have had this figured into the cost.
    Last edited by Catch22; 01-04-2010 at 05:40 AM.

Thread Information