MembersZone Subscriber

Unhappy Advice for the white cloud

I'm a volly in FL and have been out of the academy for 9 months. In that time I've have only 3 or 4 brush fires and only one structure fire (granted I'm in a pretty slow station and can only volunteer on weekends due to my military obligations). I can't shake the feeling that it's gonna be like this throughout my career in firefighting, altough I seriously hope I'm wrong. I'm looking to go over to P.G. County, MD pretty soon to be a live-in, but I'm still kinda wondering if if things will be any different. Has anybody ever been in a situation like this?

Forum Member

Got asked last Christmas day (OT Shift in City Suburb) if I had been to any structure fires....had been career 1 year...had lost count of the workers I had been too! =) The joys of the Western Suburbs of Sydney
    When I told the guy this he looked like he was ready to cry....I asked what was up and his senior man laughed and said "He's been in 3 years and the biggest thing he has been to was a residential garbage bin alight"....this is in a city station...he just didn't have the luck.

I did ask him why he hadn't requested a transfer out west (Much busier on the fire front due to lower socio-economic area/s). His response "I hadn't thought about that...the extra 20 min drive might be too tough".....he has since transferred 10 mins west (as the crow flies) and caught a worker first night there = one happy FF.

Busier stations don't always mean more fire...our busiest stn responds to an AFA every 15mins (avg) 24/7, 365....not much fire to be had there though

Forum Member

First night working a shift as a volly, had a MVC, then not 40 minutes after we got back in the house we got a fire tone. The Minyards kitchen had caught on fire and was going good. We got there and it had knocked the power out to the entire side of the city (small city.) After that night, 3 years later, I had 3 good house fires, and one large cardboard warehouse (that was a piece) fire under my belt. When it's slow, it's hard. I'm anxious to start my career as a full time FF/EMT-P and run medical calls more than anything. At least I know that'll keep me entertained for a bit.

Forum Member

Don't get too worked up. We (Rural Volunteer Department) have probably a total of 4-5 calls a year where the word fire is mentioned. The rest are Storm watches, sandbagging, flood work, MVA's, that sort of thing. We probably get one good burner a year where we are on scene more than a few hours. Lets just say our newest pumper, new in 07, has about 50 hours on the pump, and that includes training. And our second pumper new in 97 has about 200 I want to say.

The best I can tell you is that if it is fire you are looking for, there are usually live-fire type classes every once in awhile. I have been through a burn trailer before, about as close as you are going to get.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the encouragement fellas. I'm hoping things will get better when I get to P.G. County. Hopefully this curse will not hang around. We'll see.

MembersZone Subscriber

If you do go up to PG, things will obviously pick up, but you may still have relatively dry spells. I've found that I'll go long periods without catching anything "good" and then all at once catch 3 or 4 workers. Things seem to come in spurts.

Forum Member

You must make a sacrafice to the fire god, JoeBoo. This will make fire. Also you must eat chilli and corn bread. This will make fire.

Forum Member

Proper sacrifice to fire gods; First wash the apparatus, real good, Armor All the tires, wipe the interior down. For dinner; Steak, potatoes, Ice Cream, followed by smoking cigars. Sit and wait.

Or you can come by my station, clean my rig and make me dinner, and we'll go light something on fire for ya!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FiremanLyman View Post
    Proper sacrifice to fire gods; First wash the apparatus, real good, Armor All the tires, wipe the interior down. For dinner; Steak, potatoes, Ice Cream, followed by smoking cigars. Sit and wait.

Or you can come by my station, clean my rig and make me dinner, and we'll go light something on fire for ya!
    You forgot strip off old paint/varnish and repaint or re varnish each and every tool on board the first-out engine. This is definitely job-bait.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

Schedule a date with your girlfriend, buy tickets to saints/hornets games..... Those work for me.
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

Forum Member

Polish leather boots.....guaranteed within 60 mins or your bitching is free

Forum Member

We used a private ambulace company at our station, always thought it was funny to watch them sit down at the table, then get called out to post up somewhere incase a call from a neighboring city came in. Rarely happened to us on the engine. Cleaning everything really good usually works though.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

I suggest having a nice long visit to the john. That's when the call will come...
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

Don't get too worked up. We (Rural Volunteer Department) have probably a total of 4-5 calls a year where the word fire is mentioned. The rest are Storm watches, sandbagging, flood work, MVA's, that sort of thing. We probably get one good burner a year where we are on scene more than a few hours. Lets just say our newest pumper, new in 07, has about 50 hours on the pump, and that includes training. And our second pumper new in 97 has about 200 I want to say.

The best I can tell you is that if it is fire you are looking for, there are usually live-fire type classes every once in awhile. I have been through a burn trailer before, about as close as you are going to get.
    CGITCH to do al that without being able to a lot of cool FIRE work shows a true devotion to the community. CHEERS !!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by owenscott View Post
    CGITCH to do al that without being able to a lot of cool FIRE work shows a true devotion to the community. CHEERS !!
    Oh and did I mention tree trimming? 3 of our guys our linemen for the municipal light and power and we always seem to get to help with that during storms. Doesnt hurt my feelings, helps people out. Nothing beats the feeling of a job well done when getting up at 2 a.m. and going out in one of the rains where you are wet as soon as the door opens. Cleaning up trees so people can drive through the streets then getting a shovel filling a few hundred sandbags, and all this by 6 a.m.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dmleblanc View Post
    I suggest having a nice long visit to the john. That's when the call will come...
    Sure seems that way. LOL

Forum Member

I've really found the best time to get a fire is pick the first good snow storm of the year (if you get snow). You can pretty much plan on one 10 miles or so out into the country. Ever heard of 30min + response times?

Thread Information