Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 310111213

Thread: New Jersey 2010

Forum Member

Arrow NJ is a disaster start looking outside the state.

Not looking good for anyone on the current list for ACFD. I have been informed that there will be budget issues for 2011. That the 30 FF that were laid off have to be offered employment first and thats not guaranteed. That will depend on retirements not sure if anyone will retire in this economic climate. New list should be active by the fall2011 Many people I know have begun looking for opportunity down south and mid-west. I personnally have tested in a few cities between VA & NC most cities outside of NJ have relaxed requirements like residency and age check it out. I found a website that has helped me with my search 911hotjobs.com see for yourself. NJ is a disaster future firefighters have to open their minds and look at all possibilities.

Forum Member

Saw an article on the city of Newark and the firefighters planning on arbitration. Does anybody have any info on this and what the arguments are?

Forum Member

anything new on newark fd ? any more retirements in the future ? or better yet any news on them hiring? anybody get anything back from the test taken a few months ago?
    Last edited by tonyda; 01-03-2011 at 11:22 PM.

Forum Member

Yeah nobody seems to want to talk about Newark anymore on this site. I guess everyone is as frustrated as we are. I would think the new list will come out in Novermber. I heard there could be 40 or so more retirments in the summer. Hiring? Who knows. You would think they would have to with how short they are. I'm not real sure but I've never seen anything like this.

MembersZone Subscriber

Don't give up. Newark avoided layoffs and actually just promoted a few guys. That's gotta be good news.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JACKT View Post
    Yeah nobody seems to want to talk about Newark anymore on this site. I guess everyone is as frustrated as we are. I would think the new list will come out in Novermber. I heard there could be 40 or so more retirments in the summer. Hiring? Who knows. You would think they would have to with how short they are. I'm not real sure but I've never seen anything like this.
    I know what you mean about the frustration man .. its been almost 5 years on this list.. I'm probably crazy for this feeling but I'm actually feeling good about a class in Newark (this spring/summer) before our list expires later on this year in the fall.. After all the recent retirements they promoted 13 FF's to captains, 8 captains to BC's and 1 BC to DC. 125 had retired since December 2009 without any hirings, 80 something of those just the past 3 months. A few are retiring this month and back in 1985 there was a big class of 50+ which are all eligible to retire in May. They are expecting more than half of them to retire the first chance they get. I know 3 or 4 that defenity are. I would not be surprised if certification letters are sent in April for investigations in preparation for another mass retirement. Additionally, next list will be good for Newark as well. Their current contract ends December 31 2011 and from the sounds of it more than 100 are likely to retire to protect their benefits/pay/etc..

The below link is a recent article about the new director which confirms the 125 recent retirements..

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...tor_plans.html

Forum Member

Not that anybody really knows when it comes to newark but I got to believe that April is too late to start recieving notices. I would think it would have to at least be in the academy by then. If not, I would have to think they would not put a class in any later then that

Forum Member

I would imagine that if the city was going to put a class in that they would want the class out by the summer before everyone takes their vacations. It scares me that if they get to April, and they haven't started yet, that we're screwed. It think if they get through the summer the city will just figure to go the rest of the year without hiring. But then again, this is Newark so who knows

Forum Member

Unhappy Current list expiration

I just called CSC to make sure they updated my address since I recently moved to the ironbound from the central ward. They told me this list we are on now expires at the end of this month. I asked "How could it expire if the new list hasn't been certified; the physical hasn't even been administered for the new test?" She replied saying that this list is only good until the new test scores come out....and that's this month. Can anyone clarify?

Forum Member

So would they have to start the process of putting guys into the academy by the end of the month or would the academy actually of had to start?

MembersZone Subscriber

NJ CSC is *** backwards you should have got the persons name and asked to speak with their superviser. These people know absolutley nothing about how this process works, they must always have a current list to hire from. I would call back and try to speak to another person. I was told that the Jersey City certification letters weren't going to be mailed out because the list expired! They really are a bunch of dopes. They just feed you a line of BS to get you off the phone so they dont have to do any work. Call back

Forum Member

The whole situation is very confusing. I was under the impression that jersey city would have to use the safer grant on the current, not upcoming list. Has that changed? Does the CSC or the city decide?

MembersZone Subscriber

Jersey City is using this current list to hire off of. I heard applications are already being handed out. The department that wants to hire notifies NJ CSC that they want to certify x number of guys then csc sends the cert letters out. After that you respond to the FD that you are interested in the job and from then on its between you and the FD. Hope this clears it up for some.
    Last edited by LeatherneckFF; 03-16-2011 at 10:57 PM.

Thread Information