Thread: New Jersey 2010

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by CSCoHammers7 View Post
    So will I have to quit volunteering in whatever town I'm currently in? Uh oh haha. I'm going to make the legitimate move to JC and sleep there every night etc. but obviously I'm still gonna stop by my parents throughout the week so I figured that I could respond to calls here and there if I was ever in the area. If I have to quit though it's a sacrifice I'll have to make... Damn and that stipend is my monthly car payment too.
    Does the VFD have a residency requirement... if so, gonna get sticky.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Default Odds of Getting On/ Prep Course

Hi Guys,

I live in Freehold, NJ and am about to mail in my application but I figured ide throw a question or two out there maybe you can help or shoot me in the right direction?

I have no hooks into any department nor have had any family ever on the job in NJ, what are the odds of getting into a department ?
    Also, what about exam prep courses (I found one for the steap price of $500), will they help that much and referencing my last question, even if I score a 100% on the written would it even matter?

I do not know anything about Jersey fire dept politics and am hoping for any information.

Thanks in advance for your help!

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey all, quick question about the volunteer status section of the application. If you volunteer in a municipality that hires paid FFs, but you are in a district that is all volunteer, do you still fill it in as having been a volunteer? As far as I am aware, credit is only applied if you volunteer in a district that also hires, but the box on the application is a bit ambiguous.

Forum Member

mikey

I have no hooks into any department nor have had any family ever on the job in NJ, what are the odds of getting into a department ?

It would be unfair for me to say that connections don't help. The truth of the matter is they do no matter how much people deny it. I however would not go so far as to say that you need them. Odds are not against you so don't not apply based upon that.

Also, what about exam prep courses (I found one for the steap price of $500), will they help that much and referencing my last question, even if I score a 100% on the written would it even matter?

The written test is pretty easy. But, take the prep course it will help a lot with the bio-data portion of the test. $500 vs a job where you are making what I feel to be a good living, no brainer it is an investment that will pay off.

Don't sweat the written and bio-data, they are not difficult. As long as you use common sense and basic skills it is easy to do well. Now the pyshical, train your *** off. It's not the hardest thing you will do in life, but you need to train as though it is becuase that is where you can realy make a difference. Many local deparments will set up training courses for guys that are looking to take the test, if you can get into one do it. And when you actualy do the test, if you don't fall over when you are done and feel like you want to puke than you didn't give it your all. Alright that may be a bit much, but don't hold back anything pace yourself til the half way point or at least until you are 3/4 through the stairs and then let er rip. Don't leave your self with any doubts.

Forum Member

To all, I will tell you that the bio-data portion of the test counts more than you think or the dop lets on. The physical is scored in bands. I am NOT saying do not get the best score you can,but I am saying that the Bio-Data portion effects your overall ranking MORE. I don't know if I would pay to take a "study class" because I do not think anyone has a clue on how to "beat it" and that is what these classes try to teach you . The bio-data is definetly graded different for consent decree cities compared to non- consent decree. These are know facts by myself and a group of others that found out the expensive way the first time this test was administered in 1999.

MembersZone Subscriber

Can any one please tell me what the lay out for the physical is. I know that the D.O.P had it on the website before, but cant seem to find it on-line any where?

Also, does any one have any information on Elizabeth. Was wondering what their situation was?

Thanks in advance.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KyleWickman View Post

AS A WARNING: IF YOU TRY AND FAKE YOUR RESIDENCY THEY WILL FIND OUT.
    I'd like to know more about this since I'm in a similar situation. What steps do the department or city take if any to find out you're actually a resident or just faking living at an address?

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by landofkings View Post
    I'd like to know more about this since I'm in a similar situation. What steps do the department or city take if any to find out you're actually a resident or just faking living at an address?
    They send an investigator out to your current and past addresses to snoop around. That guy will hunt down the truth. He'll check with employers, neighbors, organizations that you were a part of that they know about...
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

I've heard all the same things, ChiefKN. I'm playing it safe and straight up moving to JC with all of my personal items changed to that address. Sadly, I haven't found a way yet to work around staying a volunteer in my current town. I think I'll have to resign next month or so when I make the move...

Forum Member

The new video Teamwork Assesment is not so easy.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CSCoHammers7 View Post
    I've heard all the same things, ChiefKN. I'm playing it safe and straight up moving to JC with all of my personal items changed to that address. Sadly, I haven't found a way yet to work around staying a volunteer in my current town. I think I'll have to resign next month or so when I make the move...
    I hear JC is having budget problems. They lost 50 and are expected to lose another 30 within the next year or two.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mikeymurphs View Post
    Hi Guys,

I live in Freehold, NJ and am about to mail in my application but I figured ide throw a question or two out there maybe you can help or shoot me in the right direction?

I do not know anything about Jersey fire dept politics and am hoping for any information.

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Residecny is required for most towns.

Forum Member

Listen if you really want to be a FF in JC, Newark etc... move there 100% Get off of mom's teet and become a full fledged resident. That includes extremely high car insurance, horrendous parking and terrible quality of living. You wouldn't want to do really well in the testing process and not get hired because you want to run activated alarms on the weekends.

You want the job, man up and move out!

P.S. The cities put on a free prep class about a month before the written test. TAKE IT! It's way better than the other one I paid $300 to take!

P.P.S. Malley doesn't have any pull so don't think he's gonna get you on! HAHAHAHA

Forum Member

I was involved with the hiring process for the current firefighter list which will soon be expiring. I was trying to get on Newark which seems to be a dream now as I have given up and moved on with my life. There is one thing I learned throughout this whole process and that is you can ask a million questions but you will never really know the answers until you actually go through with it all. I was like most of you trying to figure out about residency, how they score the tests, how they rank you etc... I heard so much c%$%p that my head did a 360. Everyone had an answer or an idea on how things worked. I am going to tell you exactly what I learned and how things go. Why you ask, because some of you truly want this and I know the feeling so I want you to be well prepared. Those of you doing it for the wrong reasons, well, they won't let me curse on the site so we will leave it at that.

I will randomy mark my thoughts down.

Rented an apartment in Newark, Forest Hill Apartments. I lived in Bergen county (Fairview, Cliffside Park, Fort Lee) I will not specify which town out of the three. My car insurance WENT DOWN when I moved to Newark. I was surprised. Here is an example of someone making inaccurate statements, "FFCG20- That includes extremely high car insurance, horrendous parking and terrible quality of living" I mean no disrespect but you are wrong, never had parking problems either. If you plan on just using an address and not moving to JC, Newark, etc, then make sure you have the following because they WILL check these things/ask for these things during your background investigation:
    -Last 2 or 3 year tax returns: red flag if the returns show an address not Newark related within those 2 or 3 years.
    -VOTE, register to vote and VOTE, VOTE, VOTE (Better vote democratic even if you are not)
    -Lease agreement or proof of address.
    -UTILTIY BILL OR PHONE BILL, something to prove address.
    -EVERYTHING MUST BE SENT TO YOUR NEW ADDRESS.
    -KNOW YOUR NEIGHBORS!

The testing process:
    Written exam consisting of reading comp and math. The reading comp is worth 80% and the math 20%, equalling 100% but only counting as a 1/3rd of your final grade. I got a 99.999 (perfect score) on that part.

The video scenarios breakdown like this,
    when I took it, 40 videos total multiple choice. they show a video and you have 10 seconds to answer what would be the best solution and then 10 sec to answer what would be the worst thing you would do. That is the first part and the second part is you have to pay attention to the people in the videos who keep turning up and then you are asked various questions about them. Total score equals 1/3rd of your final score. THERE IS NO SECRET MYSTERY ON HOW THEY GRADE THIS SECTION!!! IT IS A 1/3RD!!!!!!!!!!!! EQUALLY. I really screwed section 2 up which gave me a 71.3?? grade.

The phsical was held at an armory in Newark which we were able to attend prior to the exam for training purposes. BE ADVISED, some people ( I can't curse once again) that were working there at the armory helping some of the candidates were telling everyone all you need is a 3:05 or lower time to get a 100% (CURSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!) That was not the case and they did not find out until the test results came back and by then it was to late. LIARS!!
    WORDS TO LIVE BY : ALWAYS GIVE IT YOUR BEST, DO NOT SETTLE FOR ANY LESS. People figured they would not have to kill themselves because they just needed 3:05. I never listen to anyone and pushed myself hard. I got a 2:47 time on test day and received a grade of 98.6??. the physcial equals 1/3rd of the total grade. I found out later that 2:42 or below equaled a 100% score.

ALL THREE PARTS OF THE TESTING PROCESS EQUALS 1/3RD. ONE PART DOES NOT WEIGHT OUT MORE THAN THE OTHER. when I received my final grade i got a 90.1?? that put me at 120 on the newark list. i calculated all three and averaged it out by 3 and it came out similar to the grade i was issuued. dop used a slight different formula for calculating averages but the results are very very close to doing it the way i did. the formula is posted on their site along with your grade when the list becomes active. you just go to their site and put your ss # in. You can request a copy of the list as it is public info for 10 bucks i believe. my roomate bought the list and when i received it there were two people penciled in at various spots before me. probably because of lawsuits and such. I was now 122. This was a huge coincidence, a guy i volunteered with as a firefighter was an ex marine was number 8 on the list had the SAME EXACT SCORE AS I DID. If i did just a little better on the video part i would be making ot right now and living my dream. there were 40 vets in front me and if it were not for vet pref i would have started at 82 on the list.

they hired 19 off the list and went up to roughly 35 to 40 on the list to get them. my friend the vet got bounced because supposedly some of his income tax records were mailed to his girlfriends house which was not in newark. he is currently in a lawsuit i believe.

I built the actual obstacle course in a small warehouse my friend owned and trained for months before the armory offered training. I may put the video on youtube and then post the link for you guys but I am still debating that.

I still kick my *** for screwing up that video part b test. i would of been in excellent shape if i had gotten even an 80. EVERY POINT COUNTS!!!!!! even a 100th of a point. it could be the difference between number 100 or 25 on the list.

i probably missed a couple of things but if i remember i will post it.

btw, i took a leave of absence from my vol fire dep to pursue this and they were supportive. every jurisdiction is different nut you are allowed 6 months leave every calendar year but not sure for how long. you don't have to quit. the department should work with you.

good luck

Forum Member

Oh yeah,

i know dv gets on top of the list then vets. you get extra points for being a child of a dec firefighter in the area you are applying for. you get extra pts if you are a vol in an area that had civil service and is payed. i also believe if you are a vol you can still apply up to age 40 but not sure if it has to be in an area that is civil service and paid.

I just took my test for frederick county , md fire and i applied for the philly firefighter exam. that is still open so check that out. i believe the dealine for that is 2/15/2010.

Forum Member

mlanz1, your insurance was higher in Cliffside park than Newark?? I need that insurance company cause when I moved from Somerset county to JC my NJM insurance tripled..literally. I should have moved to Newark.

Your def right about the testing process and all the rumors you hear. I too made it through the last process and got on the list. Too bad JC never hired anyone from that list.

Basically I tell everyone that wants to get on the job to continue with life in a career and take FD tests on the side, with the hopes of one day getting hired. I know plenty of people from JC to Paterson that lived there their entire life and has taken the test 2-3 times and never got hired. Try your best...what else can you do.

Forum Member

to all you guys that are on the current list for your city. Don't think that they couldn't or wouldn't postpone giving this new test. It doesn't matter that the apps are out and they are collecting them,there is a chance that this test is going to be postponed due to the lack of use of the current list. They will just collect the money and apps and push the test back. It has happened before and with christie wanting more government cuts I hear it may happen this way. Stay Positive.

Forum Member

Default hope so

hope ur right URBAN... I ACTUALLY HEARD THAT SOME TOWNS IN NJ, RECEIVED GRANTS TO DO SOME HIRING IN 2010 FROM THE CURRENT LIST.. GRANTS CAME FROM SOME SAFE POGRAM AND CHIEF PROGRAM.. FROM THE FEDS...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    He had a residence... had bills going there.. the whole nine.

But he was living somehwere else (and on the VFD there).
    What do they consider legitimately living in the city then? My situation: I want to go for Trenton FD, so my plan was before the end of the application filing period I was going to rent an apartment in Trenton and move there. Instead of renting an apartment though, a friend of my girlfriend's offered to rent me a room in his house in Trenton. I would actually be moving there (all my stuff in the room, address on my DL changed, bills going there, etc.) but I'd say atleast 3-4 nights of the week I'd probably end up staying at the gf's house. Are you saying they have investigators that will confront me about these couple days of the week and try to tell my I'm just "using" the address?? Also about VFD's, since its the beginning of the year I'd still be considered an active member at mine until the end of the year even though I wouldnt be active at all, will they use that against me?

Just curious about all this cause I dont want to go through the time and money actually renting a place and living in Trenton and having them try to tell me I dont live there cause I may or may not be at that address every day or night, or that I'm still listed as "active" at my VFD till the end of the year regardless of whether im actually there or not.
    Last edited by Slaytallica45; 01-21-2010 at 05:46 PM.
    NJ FFII/EMT-B

Forum Member

to all of the people with residency questions, i am going to give you one answer and I am not trying to be smart. If you have questions about if what you "plan to do" is considered living in the jurisdiction ,then you ARE NOT living in the jurisdiction. Inner city candidates are going to be scurtinized to the fullest extent by the city investigators. If you want the job move to the city,give up your suburban life and live in the city. Don't let there be any question about it.
    Last edited by urbanwarfare; 01-21-2010 at 07:44 PM.

Forum Member

URBAN- My point exactly! If you want the job, make the sacrifice!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by urbanwarfare View Post
    to all of the people with residency questions, i am going to give you one answer and I am not trying to be smart. If you have questions about if what you "plan to do" is considered living in the jurisdiction ,then you ARE NOT living in the jurisdiction. Inner city candidates are going to be scurtinized to the fullest extent by the city investigators. If you want the job move to the city,give up your suburban life and live in the city. Don't let there be any question about it.
    I was on the last list, and let me tell you this is the ugly truth. Don't even think about getting an address and not live there. Not only do you have the city investigators but the interest groups/societies that will do their own personal investigations to pin you. All and i mean all the paid departments in the state require you to have residency in their jurisdiction to even show up on their list. If you don't you will be put on a general pool for new jersey which is the pine barrens. Along with living in the jurisdiction and actually getting on the city list, you actually have the privelage to practice at the PAT facilities, if you don't live in the area you can't practice. I am not sure if they are going to use the ERGOmetric testing again, but its all situational. I've taken the same test for Long Beach, CA and scored differently. So the employer can change the answers to meet their needs.

Answer to the other question for academy classes, all the northern/central paid departments send their recruits to county academies specifically bergen county and middlesex county. No difference in training with volunteers and paid, if you do the day FF1/ff2 courses you will be in the same class as them. Its pretty simple and lax little to no PT-> lecture and practicals. From my experience, middlesex county offers a curriculum closer to Proboard standards(but not proboard certified). If you finish class early you are to report back to HQ (atleast for north hudson). My advice if you really want the job. Go out of the state.

Forum Member

Default Quick Question

Have you guys heard any truth to the rumor of them possibly regionalizing the departments to save money? I.E. Bayonne, Jersey City, etc. I have also heard that they actually may turn Bayonne into some sort of paid/vol department.

Thanks for all the reply's everyone. These mixed answers, although they are not the must optimistic are still helpful. Sounds like it is a more fair system to get into the FDNY than anywhere in Jersey. Too bad Jersey doesn't use the FDNY's system for hiring, oh well. I am going to stay in shape and hope for the best. Thanks again

Forum Member

Does anyone know of a good test prep class that is being offered? Like one with credentials and that has yielded favorable results in the past or guarantees improved performance etc. I'm willing to spend the cash if it will prove to be the best money I've ever spent, as many tell me it is... Thanks again guys.

Thread Information