Thread: New Jersey 2010

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by urbanwarfare View Post
    the 09 safer grants were awarded today,any request for 2010 will not be awarded this yr,they are awarded the next yr
    well by the looks of it only 2 towns in nj got grants north plainfield and another town.. so much for that.. they are advertising that they need firefighters throughout nj.. meanwhile there is a list that has been barely touched.. i dont get it they hired all these cops with stimulus package from obama and left know money to hire firefighters last year wtf!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

If you want to see if a department applied for any type of federal grant follow the link below, choose E-grant application access on the top of the page. You have to provide a user name and password as well as some other info. Once logged in click the blue link on your login page. http://www.firegrantsupport.com/cont.../Awards09.aspx

The SAFER awards that were issued yesterday were only the first round. I dont know how many rounds the are going to give out, if its like the AFG awards expect to see new awards posted every week.

Forum Member

Irvington is laying off 10 FF's and 20 Police:

http://www.nj.com/news/local/index.s...off_notic.html

Harrison is laying off 4 FF's by May 1st (just a rumor I heard, not sure how true it is)

South Orange FD is looking into mergeing with I think Maplewood. (just a rumor I heard, not sure how true it is)

Newark was suppose to have a new class by now, but with 60 mill cut by Christie looks like this will not happen, hopefully there aren't any firehouse closures...

Times are REAL bad in NJ for us trying to get on FF's even though we are SO CLOSE.
    Last edited by jaxong75; 04-09-2010 at 12:29 PM.

Forum Member

Question What is going on AC?

What is going on in Atlantic City looks like things just got worst. I've spoken with several fire fighters they all have told me they recieved lay off notices (ACFD budget cut by 3million). Is this just political fodder (I hope) because it's starting to look really impossible for the guys on the current list any insight would really help.

Forum Member

phoenix, talked to a guy on the job who came off our list and he said there is no talk of hiring anytime soon,and that the talk right now is 40 guys being lay off, that was the talk at the last union meeting. Doesn't look good.

Forum Member

I just can't see it happening Atlantic City is a cash cow for the state of NJ. The city is a major tourist hub no way can the state afford to loss so many fire fighters/police officers in this city. People come to Atlantic City to spend money and have a good time they expect to be taken care of. The equation is really simple unsafe city = less money down the line. I wonder if the mayor cuts deep enough will Christie step in?

Forum Member

unfortunately it is going to happen. 40 firefighters and 60 cops, The civil service commission has approved it and by summer it is going to be a reality

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix1 View Post
    I just can't see it happening Atlantic City is a cash cow for the state of NJ. The city is a major tourist hub no way can the state afford to loss so many fire fighters/police officers in this city. People come to Atlantic City to spend money and have a good time they expect to be taken care of. The equation is really simple unsafe city = less money down the line. I wonder if the mayor cuts deep enough will Christie step in?
    Wow... I hate to tell you this, but Christie is why this is all happening.

If you're banking on him stopping cuts, you are barking up the wrong tree.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Smile Any info.

Any info. about ACFD?

Forum Member

Default North Hudson Fire article

Forum Member

Deputy Chief Mike Terpak (JCFD) and Chief Frank Montagne (NHRFR) both stated to me on Saturday, that both North Hudson and JCFD need to start hiring. North Hudson as stated in that article, ARE short 30 - 40 guys, and JCFD IS short 101. Also stated was that "this is a great list (2010) to be on". Once this whole mess turns around firefighters are GOING to be needed. This stated by two guys who know what the deal is. Train hard fellas, and study study study. That's the bottom line.

Andy

MembersZone Subscriber

BigAndy - Are we talking existing list ?

Forum Member

I would assume so as this new list won't be out until sometime in 2011 if we are lucky

Forum Member

Negatory. He meant the list due out after this upcoming exam.

Forum Member

bigandy,

North Hudson, Jersey City, and Newark said the same thing about the current list, it was the list to be on... they were all suppose to hire dozens due to massive amounts of retires. I do agree that they eventually have to hire in decent size numbers within the next few years... there is no doubt about it...

doc, the way it looks, the current list will be good until the very end of 2011. What # on the Kearny list are you now?

Forum Member

the way i see if the test to be given out is the same. your still going to get the very best of the best on the current list considering the lists where almost never used. for example in newark case they only hired 5 civilians the rest where vets who did not score as well. so the next people on the list would really be the people who scored well on all portions of the test.

Forum Member

tony so true..

The vets that got disqualified from the last hiring will take the test again, the new vets coming back from war are going to take the test, and every civilian that did good will take it again, including the now 18 year olds that qualify... competition is definetly going to be tough...

Forum Member

I didn't take the last test. I was just out of college and starting a career. I had always wanted to be a firefighter but was afraid what if it really wasn't for me? I eventually found out I could join East Newark FD while living in Kearny and really am positive its the career for me. Being realistic though I'm glad I went to college and all and got a degree because I have to be prepared incase I can't be a career FF. I’ve been able to do a lot of training and get some actual firefighting experience so far so I’ll just keep on doing that!

Very much looking forward to the next opportunity to test. But in the meantime I’ll stick to my day job.

MembersZone Subscriber

Has anyone heard anything further about the civil service reforms that Christie put together today? From what I get it allows the counties or towns to opt out of civil service. Will this mean no more lists to hire off of? What will happen to the current list? http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201..._cap_publ.html

Forum Member

Opting out of civil service could be very VERY bad for the resident that doesn't have any ties to the FD... this will mean that the FD will be like the ol' days.. Fathers/sons/nephews/uncles/cousins/etc will only get hired... it's called NEPOTISM and that is BAD.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jaxong75 View Post
    Opting out of civil service could be very VERY bad for the resident that doesn't have any ties to the FD... this will mean that the FD will be like the ol' days.. Fathers/sons/nephews/uncles/cousins/etc will only get hired... it's called NEPOTISM and that is BAD.
    its bad at the same time it also gives the people that do not live in the big cities a chance to test and can possibly get hired. Im in bergen county. i pretty much have no chance of getting hired on any big depts. only ones in my area that accept bergen county are both combo depts. the civil service test is the reason i will be looking out of state for fire jobs as much as i would love to stay in state. some will say just move but its not like i have that type of money at all.

Forum Member

Munnugles I feel your pain. I lived in Paramus my whole life and had to very uncomfortably move to a Hudson County town just for a chance to test. All my money goes towards to affording this move since I'm only 20 and have to support myself solo. The real world is a rude awakening. I loved the free ride at my parent's but I felt I had to sacrifice if I wanted a shot. I WISH there were more opportunities in Bergen County. I wouldn't be broke if there was haha.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CSCoHammers7 View Post
    Munnugles I feel your pain. I lived in Paramus my whole life and had to very uncomfortably move to a Hudson County town just for a chance to test. All my money goes towards to affording this move since I'm only 20 and have to support myself solo. The real world is a rude awakening. I loved the free ride at my parent's but I felt I had to sacrifice if I wanted a shot. I WISH there were more opportunities in Bergen County. I wouldn't be broke if there was haha.
    Didn't wanna stay in Paramus and be a Volly there. Work a regular job and get 6+K a year to be a volly. Not to bad.

Forum Member

Haha yeah the stipend is pretty crazy there, $500 a month now (they don't take taxes out though so you have to pay a lot of it back). I was a volunteer there for 3 years (since I turned 17). I'm very thankful for everything I learned there and the training I received, which ultimately pushed me towards wanting to do this as a career. I owe a lot to Paramus for that. If I ever get a job locally as a ff I have every intention of moving back there once I'm freed of residency restrictions.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jaxong75 View Post
    bigandy,

North Hudson, Jersey City, and Newark said the same thing about the current list, it was the list to be on... they were all suppose to hire dozens due to massive amounts of retires. I do agree that they eventually have to hire in decent size numbers within the next few years... there is no doubt about it...

doc, the way it looks, the current list will be good until the very end of 2011. What # on the Kearny list are you now?
    Yeah you can't believe everything you hear. Just stating what was told to me. Let's keep our hopes up something pulls through.

Thread Information