+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 First ... 2345678 ... Last

Thread: New Jersey 2010

Forum Member

Exclamation Questions about ACFD

Now that AC Fire fighters will get 95% to retire what next? Will enough eligible fire fighters retire allowing the fire department to hire from the current list? If so how soon/ how many personnel will be needed to refill the ranks? What about the safety of AC residents/tourist, while the city gets its act together if there is a mass exodus?

Forum Member

Default nj

forget it, this whole fire list was waste of time.. they not hiring nobody.. what a joke

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix1 View Post
    Now that AC Fire fighters will get 95% to retire what next?..... What about the safety of AC residents/tourist, while the city gets its act together if there is a mass exodus?
    Where did you hear anything about 95% ? The pension max is no where near that. The politicians don't give a rats azz about residents/tourists as long as no one actually dies in a fire and it doesn't make them look bad.

Forum Member

The 95% is what the city is going to pay towards retirees medical benefits if they retire by sept 1 2010, has nothing to do with the state pension.
    As for them hiring ,I am trying to find out how many guys are taking it,but all I think this is going to do is stop layoffs of the 40 guys they were talking about. I really don't think they are going to hire off this list anymore,but who knows, with Langford hating the public safety sector I really can't see it happening, which isn't good for me because I am to old to take the next test.

Forum Member

Hey irish. Did you ever get hired in newark? Saw a post you put a couple of years ago

Forum Member

Didn't get the chance to apply for the last test because I was overseas and wasn't planning on moving to New Jersey at the time. Hoping the test goes as scheduled this year so I can get my name on the list.

Forum Member

Awesome for North Hudson - New Firehouse:

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2...use_for_n.html

ANOTHER BIG Fire in North Hudson the other day:

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2...ity_homes.html

Forum Member

anybody have any new info on newark fd? anybody know how many apps they got. looks like everybody i know without a job filled out the application. even some with jobs did it as well. going to be way more comp this time around.

Forum Member

Cool Acfd

Any info about ACFD alot of rumors going around one that stands out is a possible class in the fall. Possible lay off's might hinder that opp. read that the govenor has taken a personal interest in Atlantic City is this good for the current list might this interest lead to hiring. Hope the current list get's another extension. Any insight info about ACFD will be helpful.

Forum Member

Newark hopeful's.. bad news... there is a huge possibility that Booker is going to lay off every police and firefighter he hired since he took office. They are saying about 250 cops and 150 firefighters are going to get laid off...

Kearny is also going to do some pd/fd demotions and lay off 5 firefighters, even though 5 just got out of the academy

For you young guys with no kids I would recommend joining the military, get your combat zone vet preference and keep taking the test if this is the job you really want. volunteer at a local fire department if you can that way you are eligible to take the civil service test until you are 40... right now are BAD times. The only thing that can get a few guys jobs on the Newark list that are so close is if they come up with money at the last minute and prevent lay offs, or prevent most lay offs, with the addition of big numbers in retirements.. - but dont hold your breathe

Forum Member

talk in AC is chief asked for twelve guys,but probably isnt going to happen. Talk is still 30 let go sept 30th.

Forum Member

Thumbs up Go Christie!

Christie is talking about real aggressive reform for AC he said, "within a year". I hope that includes public safety ie. ACFD. I think the Govenor has the political clout and personal interest to get Atlantic City the funding we will need to get back to a first class top tier world destination. I personally believe the money is coming with this announcement think about it the whole country is watching. CHRISTIE FOR PRESIDENT!!!!!!! only if he does what I think he will do.

Forum Member

Great info with specifcs to New Jersey testing standards. Where were you guys when I was testing to get in 24 years ago.

Forum Member

For JACKT, myself, and others that are SO CLOSE on getting on Newark FD.. our dreams are shattered...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp33ajAqoaM

Forum Member

I feel for the guys that are getting laid off, crappy news. Finally on the job and probably for a couple of years with family depending on it to be dropped. As for me and others taking the test and on the list, keep testing. I would love to get on Newark but I'm not getting any younger and I'm taking every chance I can in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic.

Forum Member

Jaxong75. Our dreams are shattered but not over. This list will stay active for a long time. I'm telling you there not going to start the new testing. Believe me I'm sick to my stomach about this. Any other year things would be different. It looks awfull but I really do think this is not as bad as they are saying. We just need a small tiny class. Maybe in 2011. If they do layoff firefighters, we are done. Lets see

Forum Member

I feel for the layed off guys but try and stay positive. They will hire again and need to hire you back first. At least your foot is in the door. I would rather be in that situation then waiting on a list

Forum Member

Yup ur right. Not looking good at all in Newark. I still think this is all political games but I could definately be wrong. The final nail in the coffin for anyone on the list will be if they actually layoff people. They have to hire them back first so anyone on the list will be done. I just don't see layoffs happening. I know you think I'm crazy after that last press conference but I just don't see it. They do that and this city will go completely down the drain. It's not a nice place to begin with. How bout a little help from barack or Christie. I don't get why the city can't get a grant. Also, aren't all these proposed layoffs supposed to happen this year?

Forum Member

Angry What Gives?

Just got some bad news ACFD just got lay-off notices today for Sept.30th. Any info. that can paint a clearer picture. Christie wants to turn AC around but FD&PD are getting the axe what gives? From what I,ve heard ACFD is already at minimum staffing anything else and fire stations will have to start closing their doors. Has anyone heard about the new test is there any plans to push the written back any input would be great.

Forum Member

Question 26 Billion

I wonder if this 26 billion dollar aide package to help relieve states budget deficitís will mean,the people on the current FD & PD list all around the country will get an opportunity to serve?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix1 View Post
    I wonder if this 26 billion dollar aide package to help relieve states budget deficitís will mean,the people on the current FD & PD list all around the country will get an opportunity to serve?
    The aid package has 10 billion set aside to help prevent layoffs of teachers and public safety workers. I dont think any hiring will come out of this. The good news is that the SAFER grant funding has been increased to twice the amount it was in fiscal yr 09, its going from 210 million to 420 million. For all on Jersey City's list they have applied for it so keep your fingers crossed!

Forum Member

Current Newark candidates close to getting on, sorry to be negative but this affects me as well. Things are getting worse and worse in Newark and layoffs are on the table more now than it was a week ago. They are talking 167 police and 96 firefighters to be laid off in the next few months unless magic happens. They are even thinking about selling all city property and leasing them back (which only kicks the can further down the street for next years budget issues).

Future testers for Newark this affects you as well. If they lay off 96 or 50 or 30, they will all be on a re-hire list and will be above all to be hired first. This is something for you to think about if you are moving into town just for this opportunity (the opportunity might not happen for years to come).

This new test is actually a big financial hit to the FD. It costs them almost $2million dollars for the test process and eats up into their budget big time. Why waste $2million on a test process when they are going to lay off huge amounts and the new test applicants will not have a chance? It's a waste of time and money. The $2million can be used to save about 35-40 layoffs. The current list should be extended for this purpose - it only makes sense. Credible rumors of 4-8 firehouses to be closed as well.

Forum Member

Wink

Anything that makes sense to do is not gonna happen in Newark. They should absolutely delay this new testing. It is ridiculous. Great point on the new applicants Jaxon 75. If you invest in getting this job you really nead to think about what is going on. I've lived in Newark for over 4 years now with the hopes of getting this job. My car has been broken into more times then I can tell you. It has not been safe in any way. Still I put up with all the nonsense with the hopes of getting the job. If the layoffs occur those people would be the next to get hired before anyone else. I think we will find out in less then 2 weeks if this will happen. For me personally, it is going to take an absolute miracle to get this job. I've watched a city filled with poverty and crime go further in that direction in these past 4 years. Laying off cops in one of the worst crime areas in the country is hilarious. When all the layoff talks were going on these past months, I figured a couple dangerous fires and maybe a some shootings/murders would show the city that these layoffs must be avoided. In one weekend alone in this month, there was 2 major fire which injured 25 firefighters, killed a resident, and left many people homeless. One of the fires included a fire hydrant that was not there or possibly stolen. During that call, equipment was stolen from the truck. That same weekend there was 9 seperate shootings and 1 murder. IN 1 WEEKEND. A city that is understaffed is going to have layoffs. Well it just shows that no one cares and of course are broke. Politics have played too much of a role in all of this and the respect of 9/11 to firefighters and cops is fading faster and faster. Just saying, it's been a hell of an experience with no leadership at all from anyone involved in the city. If these layoffs happen, which it looks like they will, it's going to be funny to watch the crime stats stay the same or even get better. When we all really know that isn't the truth. I understand the economy is bad, but the leadership from everyone in the city has been horrible. Now lets just see what happens. It ought to be interesting

Forum Member

I have been reading this site for awhile now and just finally joined because I am definitely in need of some advice.

I moved to Newark 1.5 years ago to establish residency for this exam, then of course it was pushed back and then pushed back again to what it is now. Now, I have been reading here and in the news that Newark is laying off a significant amount of firefighters(also other towns around are doing the same or just not hiring when guys retire). The way I look at things, as a non-veteran and if this many guys are being laid off, my chances are slim to none of getting hired off of this next list.

Being a firefighter is my dream job (which I am sure you have all read or written on here before). Like JACKT, I have invested lots of time, money and I will call them "frustrating situations" living there and Newark is the department I want to be on(of course I would take any department but I'm sure everyone has their top choice).

Of course, like I said, I am a non-veteran. I have always felt like I should join the military but went to college to play ball instead(and an education on the side). Knowing that I will most likely not get hired off of this list and the next test will probably be 3-4 years down the road because of economy, would anyone advise enlisting now to get veterans preference?

I am about 95% sure I will enlist but my problems are I have invested so much, do I wait until after the test and then go in so at least I am on the list in case things turn around? Or do I go in now, keep my residency, but that way I am guaranteed to be out by the time the next exam comes around?..

If I do go in, I am looking to either be a FMF Corpsman in the navy(medic for marines basically) or an army medic but those are minimum 5 and 4 year commitments, which may not get me back in time for next exam. Or, do I go for one of those 2-3 years enlistments and get out quicker but from what I have heard you do not get the same GI benefits if do not do 4 years... Oh and I am 24 years old.

I understand I ran on and repeated stuff on here but hard to talk to people about this who do not understand why you would want to serve in the military or be a firefighter when you have a college degree but what's right is right and when you know what you want to do with your life you know and I figured people on here would understand that completely.

So, basically, any advice on what you would do in my situation. Thank you.

Forum Member

Deacon 17. Just had a long day so I'm gonna get back to you and do research. You and me are identical. I was a baseball player in college as well and I'm not a vet. The rumor is there is gonna be a lot of vets but let me get back to you in a min. Just wanted to let you know I saw ur post and I'm interested in helping you out with some advice.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 First ... 2345678 ... Last

Thread Information